vRS TSI cooling fan question

I have a 2014 vRS TSI since feb this year.

This winter/spring I have never heard the cooling fan go on, even once.

But this weekend I tuned the car with new software to 300hp/420nm.

After this, the cooling fan goes on often (!). Even after slow drivning on the motorway.

It seems to activate at around 95C oil temp and when drivning slow and/or at a standstill. When closing in on 97-98C and standing still it blows at 100%, you can't miss it.... (loud).

The thing is this is the first week with warmer airtemp too.

Is this a normal behaviour for the cooling fan on a TSI vRS or could the fan settings have been changed with the tune?

Not sure I remember ever hearing mine.   My vrs sits at a water temp of 'needle straight up' always, and oil temp usually 103 to 107c, whether looking in town, driving on the motorway or what ever.   I've once had it at 110c which had me worried at the time as it was gentle town driving in cool weather, but even then I didn't notice the fan from inside the car, can't recall if it was running when I parked up.

I suggest you talk to the remapping firm/supplier if worried.

Coolant cools your oil which is also a coolant,

so the Coolant needs to be down about 90 *oC, to get your oil back down to the low 90's, 

thats what the Radiator, cooling system / fans and oil coolers are all about.

Just because you tuned your car i take it you are still only using only half the performance most of the time, 

maybe driving as before at lower RPM, so warmer weather might be your issue.

Maybe use a better performance oil.

Edited by goneoffSKi

What system did you use to "tune" the car?

Cooling fan will run for many things:

- Coolant or oil temperature

- Boost air temperature

- High exhaust temperature

- Air Conditioning pressure

- etc

I could be something normal like AC was turned on...

However, I think many simple tuning kits just fool the boost pressure sensor into thinking the pressure is lower than it really is.

It may be that your tuning kit is increasing the boost air temperature because the turbo is working harder thus on a hot day the cooling fan is activated.

ive not heard mine come on this weekend...

That's how it should be....

Not sure I remember ever hearing mine.   My vrs sits at a water temp of 'needle straight up' always, and oil temp usually 103 to 107c, whether looking in town, driving on the motorway or what ever.   I've once had it at 110c which had me worried at the time as it was gentle town driving in cool weather, but even then I didn't notice the fan from inside the car, can't recall if it was running when I parked up.

I suggest you talk to the remapping firm/supplier if worried.

I've talked to the remapping firm and they confirmed, after some time, that it's not a normal behaviour. But they don't know what's doing it.

Coolant cools your oil which is also a coolant,

so the Coolant needs to be down about 90 *oC, to get your oil back down to the low 90's, 

thats what the Radiator, cooling system / fans and oil coolers are all about.

Just because you tuned your car i take it you are still only using only half the performance most of the time, 

maybe driving as before at lower RPM, so warmer weather might be your issue.

Maybe use a better performance oil.

The cooling fan goes on even if I just start the car and lets it stand at idle. Watertemp at 90C and oil at 90C = full fan.

I have never Heard a fan going at these speeds, it's crazy.

Car could be still adapting to the tune. Give it some time and see if it makes a difference. 

I've driven it for many days now and it's still as bad. Twice now, I have even lost boost during two long pulls on the highway. The tune is being reversed today!

What system did you use to "tune" the car?

Cooling fan will run for many things:

- Coolant or oil temperature

- Boost air temperature

- High exhaust temperature

- Air Conditioning pressure

- etc

I could be something normal like AC was turned on...

However, I think many simple tuning kits just fool the boost pressure sensor into thinking the pressure is lower than it really is.

It may be that your tuning kit is increasing the boost air temperature because the turbo is working harder thus on a hot day the cooling fan is activated.

I went to SMOAB in Sweden. I have tried turning the AC off, but the problem is still there.

The fan is on alot when the outside temp is 10C, now when it's 18C, it's ridiculous.

I said that the firm could contact me when they have found out what's the problem. But I didn't want to be a test-car for the software....

The tune is gone and the car is back to original, at last the fan is quiet!

I miss the power (feels like 100hp now....), but I couldn't drive the car that way.

• 2 weeks later...