Beavo's SE Fabia, AKA 'Beast'

stevobeavo

What you've described in front left sounds very much like anti roll bar bushes

Cheers for that but I've got them poly bushed but I have checked them just in case. It's definitely the shock. Had a few people push the front down one each corner and everyone said it's noticeably softer on that side.

Going to get a new replacement shock from AP.

Edited by stevobeavo

• 3 months later...

Cars back at unit 18 for some warranty work. The gearbox leak seems to just be from the end seal where people do the shim bodge so Ali said it's easier for him to do that himself than take the box off and send to the rebuilders.

Inner CV gators gone again so that will be replaced and will be checked to see if there's a reason for them to keep tearing. And also my coilover will be getting replaced.

After I got home I received a email from Ali saying 'your engine sounds terrible' Lol.he added it could be camshaft, crank bearing or broken injector.

I Asked if it was a ticking noise, which seems like a sticky tappet noise, as I sometimes get it when the cars been started from cold and only driven a short distance then started again but goes after the car is warm and is booted a bit.

He agreed it was this noise and said it could be a worn cam lobe and the noise goes when warm due to thermal expansion.

He's going to take the cover off and check it out.

Iirc we had the same ticking fault on both our SE's at the same time. I replaced mine with a new camshaft kit and that fixed the fault.

Ah yes i remember now, well hopefully it is that then, might even get some extra performance from the car, Ali always said how rapid my car. No idea what the cost I'll be though.

Got some news on the car today, the camshaft i beyond knackered!!! It's badly scored, it's actually worn through a lifter plus a injector is loose!

Also it's had some work done on it before and the rocker gasket is just black mastic and there are incorrect bolts holding the cam down

Some pictures Ali sent over

30501706176_799ab815f7_z.jpg

30501706046_7d4544d11b_z.jpg

29904834673_43a80f14b0_z.jpg

29904829253_e5aaa49ed5_z.jpg

29904828923_b25fc3de18_z.jpg

Had a chat with Ali and the two options were to go with a cheap cam kit (£170) which wouldn't last more than a year or so or go for a oem spec kit (£330) I've opted for the latter choice, might as well do it properly. Should hopefully see a slight performance increase too.

Huge shout out to unit 18 for there excellent knowledge and customer services. Learnt a hell of a lot about turbos too when chatting on Saturday.

Which bolts are the wrong ones btw?

The 8 across the top that hold the camshaft rockers down?

If so yours is the third SE stripped down including mine and have all been like that. Some large torx and some multispline. Other Fabias around 2007 I've worked on were ALSO exactly the same. Which had led me to belive that's how they leave the factory unless all our cars have had warranty repair for an injector and replaced bolts as they go.

I've only worked on a handful of 2005+ vrs's now and noticed it so I would expect somewhere like unit 18 who work on them daily to expect that.

Which bolts are the wrong ones btw?

The 8 across the top that hold the camshaft rockers down?

If so yours is the third SE stripped down including mine and have all been like that. Some large torx and some multispline. Other Fabias around 2007 I've worked on were ALSO exactly the same. Which had led me to belive that's how they leave the factory unless all our cars have had warranty repair for an injector and replaced bolts as they go.

I've only worked on a handful of 2005+ vrs's now and noticed it so I would expect somewhere like unit 18 who work on them daily to expect that.

I'm not sure which bolts are wrong, when I collect the car I'll see which ones they mean and report back with all the details.

If it's the bolts I've highlighted here, mixture of multi-spline and torx.

IMG_1285.jpg

Here's a picture of mint SE as well to show mine was also mixed

IMG_1287.jpg

And again, I've worked on a few other BLT engines that have been the same :)

Edited by hutchysrs50

Found out why the injector was loose...cylinder head was cracked in 3 places, which in turn caused all the damage to the cam due to the heat coming up from the combustion chamber.

Ali's pricing up the cost of that tonight, if it's too much then it looks like it might be the final curtain for beast :(

It's abit of a kick in the balls but not the end of the world, plenty good engines / cylinder heads around.

Labour charge won't be cheap I suppose, new cylinder head gasket set and bolts also since the exhaust / turbo / inlet mangold / timing belt will all need to be removed.

Ouch. That's a real kick in the teeth. Sorry to hear that it's going to require so much more work :( is it not something you could potentially do a bit each day yourself rather than the massive cost of labour?

I hope it doesn't get broken for parts! Good luck :)

ahhh that sucks :/ hopefully Ali will come back with something to keep the best alive :)

now I'm worried about the head in my fabia

Ouch. That's a real kick in the teeth. Sorry to hear that it's going to require so much more work :( is it not something you could potentially do a bit each day yourself rather than the massive cost of labour?

I hope it doesn't get broken for parts! Good luck :)

Well Ali got back to me last night.....the rebuilds going ahead :) . Ali's sorting a second hand which if needed will be machined, head gasket will obviously need replacing. Was a few extra hours labour but unit 18 is so reasonable on price I'm not fussed by that, there half the price of some of the London garages round mine.

It's something I could have a attempted, but firstly I want the job done properly and if I did something wrong then it could mean another new cam and unit 18 are the only garage I trust with my car, secondly i really have the time to do something like that.

So fingers crossed I can still make he briskly trackday next month.

• Like 2

Was due to pick up the beast this morning but a email from Ali last night said there was some very light misting coming from the new gearbox seal still nothing like how it was before though, so he's going to keep it over the next week and sort it once and for all.

However the car is back together with a new alternator pulley as mine had actually seized one way. Fingers crossed I'll be picking it up next Saturday and then blasting round brands hatch on monday :)

Be interested if there's any difference in performance now it's got full compression on all 4 and a properly shaped cam :D

• Like 3

Think I'm going to take my fabia to Ali for the gearbox overhaul when I get some funds together :)

Glad yours is nearly done, will be great at brands, sad I have to work so can't make it.

What's up with your gearbox?

Can't wait to drive it again. Have power in my life again lol.

What's up with your gearbox?

Can't wait to drive it again. Have power in my life again lol.

4th gear synchro has worn so can't shift down into 4th without declutching and I also have trouble selecting 1st sometimes. Have checked the linkage and it's all good so needs to come out for an inspection :/

Oh yes I remember now. Ali will sort you out no problem, he's had loads of fabia come through his place with gearbox issues. Pretty sure Stuart had some form of gearbox issue that they sorted for him.

• Like 1

Picking Beast up tomorrow. Engines all run in and working nicely. Had to have the alternator clutch replaced and it burnt out 2 glow plugs so Ali replaced all 4 for only £30.

I've also had a tyre replaced due to one of the NS-2R's having a damaged carcass!! The tyre place unit 18 used failed to get a replacement in time so they put a cheap one on there free of charge.

The phone call I had tonight I was told that at some point a turbo had previously let go massively as there was impact marks on all 4 crowns of the piston. These were all cleaned up and with the head all fitted I was was getting 32 bar of pressure in all cylinders. Ali also checked the jabba map as the cracked head was caused by over fuelling and I was happy to be told it's actually quite a low fuel map yet.

Roll on 6 hours time when I'll be leaving to pick it up and finally have power in my life again, plus I miss my seat :D

• Like 1

Cars back at home now. Drives spot on, feels a bit punchier too. Feels so weird driving it again. Everything feels so tight and responsive compared to unit 18's A3 i was driving around in. My left legs seems to have wasted away in 3 weeks, stupid clutch and my bucket seat seems a little more snugg than what i remember....lol. Stopped off at work to drop the old cam and head off, going to clean them up and have them in the office.

Old camshaft

30633388190_55d9211038_b.jpg

30818320452_21bcd82134_b.jpg

30633375280_8a93f10211_b.jpg

As to can see all the lobes have been scored and the tips of the cams have rounded badly

Tappets

30633387860_0e61c415c1_b.jpg

Worn tappet vs very worn tappet. The left one was actually on the verge of wearing through completely.

The head

30898707766_a2017437c7_b.jpg

30898697766_be27699da6_b.jpg

Multiple cracks on all cylinders that went right through.

Ali wasn't there this morning, which was maybe a good thing as I end up chatting to him for hours :D but one of his mechanics was there, Tom, who was a great guy and was also very knowledgeable.

• Like 1