Beavo's SE Fabia, AKA 'Beast'

stevobeavo

Yellow will stand out for sure.. why not go for the same shade as the tarox calipers? They look quite good!

Need to match fronts whatever colour you choose! :)

Wheres the fun in that lol.

The only way to get the right colour and finish as the fronts is to remove them and spray and lacquer which I really can't be bothered with lol.

Mr postman delivered my rear brakes today, nothing fancy just your normal pagid brakes from eurocarparts.

However he did bring me this beauty,

25322586091_966b16e2c0_b.jpg

The third and final vibra-technics engine mount :) going to fit it next week and hopefully do a quick fitting quid and review.

How do you find having a set of them mounts then?

Does the engine shake quite dramatically through the car now?

There is a bit of vibration through the car but it not that bad. Certainly not as bad as people make out if you do some searching on google. Yes the steering wheel vibrates quite a bit at idle and if your not holding the wheel my keys rattle together and some trim did vibrate together, But that was easy to sort out.

It might be a bit much for some but as my cars bumpy, loud, and has squeeling brakes thanks to the pads, it's all part of the cars character lol. Also unit 18 say I get transmission noise due to the mounts, clutch and uprated DMF.

I'd say if you car was standard or just a remap with lowering springs I wouldn't bother. But in quite a modified car I would, throttle response will be improved as well as cornering.

• Like 1

More toys ey stevobeavo. Lol

Exactly what i was thinking myself hutchysrs50 with regards to this mount as was thinking about it myself.

I might go the polybush route instead as mine is just with remap at the momment.

Not far off your trackday now stevobeavo.

Make sure you get some video's up

thats fair enough i guess, im keeping mine fairly standard so dont think i would see any benefit from fitting them, just checking to see what you thought of them since they arnt exactly cheap!

Well this mount is actually the same price as the standard mount, the other ones are significantly cheaper. Im pretty sure it's the dogbone mount that gives most of the vibration.

More toys ey stevobeavo. Lol

Exactly what i was thinking myself hutchysrs50 with regards to this mount as was thinking about it myself.

I might go the polybush route instead as mine is just with remap at the momment.

Not far off your trackday now stevobeavo.

Make sure you get some video's up

Yeeeeah, I keep trying not to buy things but that's not going so well. Currently have my finger hovering over the buy now on some new coilovers lol. Must resist!!!

Just over a month now, hopefully it will be dry so I can really hoon it.

My mate who's an added driver has a go pro and I might have a few mates coming in their R32 GTR and megane 250 cup so should be a fun day whatever happens.

• Like 1

Every so often I have my eye on something new, then say to myself naaaah I shouldn't. ..should I? Lol

Ah man that trackday is sounding awesome already!

The only issue you will have with go pro is where you stick it to get the best view.

My mate just bought a brand new go pro & I'm gonna try to persuade him to lend it me for my next outing.

There's a pic I had of someones I'll see if can find it. Thought that was the best view.

Btw have you seen bossfox's new thread in events section?

Check it out

• Like 1

Yeeeeah, I keep trying not to buy things but that's not going so well. Currently have my finger hovering over the buy now on some new coilovers lol. Must resist!!!

Resistance is futile.. click now :-)

Im at a happy pace spending around £40 a week on stuff :D

so far this week has been the smaller EGR gasket to reduce the gas flow to stop the hesitation, the shim and cap for the gearbox and some new 5000k D2S bulbs.

last weeks was the covers for the headlight washers, chrome indicators bulbs and the stubby aerial.

i've got a small pile of parts building up again...

• Like 1

This evening I was meant to be doing my rear brakes and have good clean up of the Taroxs.....wish I never bothered. Cracked off the 4 wheel nuts then onto the locking wheel nut and snap!!!

25328620720_d45ac12867_b.jpg

Wonderful, so out comes a old socket, hammer the bugger on, breaker bar on that and with a nice slow constant pressure......SNAP!!!!

24996566653_4f7a95750f_b.jpg

The head of the bolt has come off.?..brilliant. Next step I drill and tapped a reverse thread and found a reverse threaded bolt. A lot of bum clenching and gentle gentle pressure on the breaker bar I free it up and it comes out.

By this time I deicide I can't be arsed with the brakes and having to deal with the locking wheel tights so I moved on to my engine mount.

Obviously with the evening I was having I was slightly dubious about it but everything went smoothly. Took about 40 minutes to swap over would have been quicker if my solid boost pipe wasn't in the way making things a bit more awkward, didn't take any pictures other than it in place.

25317324040_aab01566c7_b.jpg

So first thoughts, the engine is solid, there is not one ounce of movement. That slight injector ticking you get on part throttle, now sounds like distance jack hammer. A bit more vibration through the accelerator. However cabin vibrations seem to have got bit better (I'll hold judgment on that though). But the main improvement is engine response. Before there was slight hesitation when you put your foot down, now it just goes.

So to sum up, the dogbone mount give a cabin vibration, the gearbox mount gives some cabin vibration and transmission noise (not helped by my clutch set up). And the engine mount gives some can vibration in areas but takes some from other areas (possibly).

Is it worth it? For most probably not, but for me it certainly is :)

• Like 1

Good description, jack hammer noise you say :D

It's a bit odd but that all I can liken it too. Like a miniature jack hammer lol. You won't notice it with the radio on or if you were talking to a passenger.

I ditched my locking wheel bolts altogether when the garage rounded one out and didnt tell me >:(

So do you have a full set of vibratechnics mounts now? May need to look into it

I ditched my locking wheel bolts altogether when the garage rounded one out and didnt tell me >:(

So do you have a full set of vibratechnics mounts now? May need to look into it

My manager has brought his proper wheel nut remover in from home so the rest will be off soon enough and I've ordered some new bolts from skoda.

Yep I have the complete set. Absolutely zero engine movement lol, if you were to get them I would think about how much more vibration, noise you'll get if your car is a daily. Mine drives the missus mad but then racecar is life lol.

Edited by stevobeavo
  • Like 2

Yeah my girlfriend has said on multiple occasions that i need to buy her a sports bra when she comes out with me!

Im looking at getting a second car anyway so i can mod this more and not put huge miles on it

• Like 2

Another update must of course means something has gone wrong!!!...and yes it has.

Driving home last night, booted up a hill and BANG!!! Whooooosh. Boost hose popped off at 30psi lol. So gentle driving got me home and I jacked the car up to get it sorted and found this.

25723033541_ecd8c91ff0_b.jpg

Bit different to a normal hose pop lol. Refitted and a mile from work today same thing happens at 13ish psi. Rolled into work and parked up in the workshop. Had a bit more of a look and it seems the spring clip has some movement in it.

I think it may be that having all 3 solid engine mounts fitted means all the movement on boost etc is on this connector instead of some being taken up by the mount (surprising how much movement there is in a standard mount).

2 options, buy new clip and wait for it to happen or think of a way to stop it happening again. I went for the later and this is what I came up with.

25818138645_47bd8a2e3d_b.jpg

Doesn't look like much does it but bare with me. the little T piece slots into where the cut out is in the turbo housing that allows the clip to snap in into place stopping the coupler coming out.

Now obviously you can't put anything round it as the clip has the raised bit so you can pull it out, hence the groove in the cable tie. T piece goes in cable tie around pulled tight and tada.

25697194012_bc495799a9_b.jpg

And it works. Only given it part throttle though. I have ordered some mikalor clamps to replace the cable tie with, again this will have the groove cut in it.

And I finally done my rear brakes...one caliper twice after my manager 'helped' me.

25818099955_b67ae7976e_b.jpg

Spot his mistake? I banished him to the office after that.

And my old pads and discs

25187581684_b81d7ebdc4_b.jpg

25792039606_d3819f131e_b.jpg

While the girlfriends was out getting drunk I was at work fixing the beast....great way to spend a saturday night lol.

25285825573_c0cd28b427_b.jpg

I made up another T piece so I'll now have them in both slots where the spring holds the coupler in place. I cut a off centre groove in the clamp so the spring clip can go through and that it doesnt interfere with the other clamp on the boost pipe

25793764642_3b9e0a8842_b.jpg

Test fitted it and it fitted perfect. And there is absolutely no movement in the spring clip now.

25613937850_39dae0f9e2_b.jpg

And all back together

25793764492_eca12f4718_b.jpg

After having a bit of a hoon around, hitting full boost especially on hills everything seems to be working just how it should.....for now anyway lol.

Skoda - 0

Beavo - 1 :p

• Like 3