vRS SOUNDPROOFING

Has anybody managed to soundproof their vRS & got some real improvement? If so how & at what cost?

I'm very happy with the way the car performs now, but it's a bit too noisy for her indoors, & I must agree that on a long run it does get a bit tedious. It seems to be mainly road noise from the tyres but also resonant drumming, I guess from the panels. If anybody has come up with a cost effective DIY solution please let me know.

Dynamat

How much it costs will depend how far you wanna go with it.

Doing the 4 doors, under the rear seats and boot floor would likely make a big difference.

thanks for that. Seems they sell it on Ebay by the roll - I guess you just cut it to shape & stick it on? Seems like a good summer project.

• Like 1

I used stuff called STP silver. Cut to shape and stick on.

Did the spare wheel compartment, boot lid, under rear seats and front arches.

To be honest it didn't make that much difference, more quiet yes, but not a drastic difference. Maybe should do the rear arches as well, but don't think I will bother.

Biggest difference it made was to make the car feel more 'solid', less little rattles etc.

Also note that the sound deadning stuff adds weight quite a bit.

Someone authored a very detailed "project" on sound deadening (LINK). I don't know how effective it is and there may be more.

In the past I have found "Dedshete" in the door panels helped but that was probably damping speaker resonance.

I suspect tyres with higher tyre walls on smaller rims would make quite a difference. Also some foam rubber in the glovebox and door pockets usually helps.

Waste of time and Money makes your car heavier and you wont really notice the change ,in other Words not worth for what you put into it ,i done mine a few years ago and afterwards ripped it all out ,as it seemed to slow the car and the sound gains were rubish,just another way for comapanies to sell a product and make Money !!!

I don't think the extra weight will be notiecable on a vRS, however I applied a total of 2 sq.m. of Dynamat on the inside of the 4 door cards of mine and the road noise reduction was almost zero. Less vibration and better bass (although still some pieces will still rattle at high volumes) yes but not nearly the transformation I expected.

The guy that did a much more exhaustive insulation with carpet stuff in the link above, said it maid a big difference but he put a lot of effort into it, he basically applied stuff to every panel of the chassis, not just the door cards like me.

Recently I applied such a sticky carpet insulating stuff on the entire boot and below the spare wheel, still didn't hear much difference. What I have concluded is that in order to have the result you expect you need to take out every possible panel, trim etc. on the car and cover a massive area, doors, floors, arches, A/B pillars, everything, not the simplest thing in the world. Then you first need to use a bit of anti-vibrating stuff like Dynamat, and then on top of it cover as much area as you can with carpet stuff. I personally have given up eventually.

• Like 1

After careful consideration & looking at previous posts I believe I have come up with a low cost solution. Going to install tomorrow.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/230847878967?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

CHAMPION!

Do please update us on how it works out.

• Like 1

thanks for that. Seems they sell it on Ebay by the roll - I guess you just cut it to shape & stick it on? Seems like a good summer project.

Pretty much yeah!

Keep meaning to get mine done but havent got round to it aha.

Ill be wanting to change my front speakers at the same time really

• Like 1

Waste of time and Money makes your car heavier and you wont really notice the change ,in other Words not worth for what you put into it ,i done mine a few years ago and afterwards ripped it all out ,as it seemed to slow the car and the sound gains were rubish,just another way for comapanies to sell a product and make Money !!!

Depends if you put it in the right places and use the right stuff.

Theres different types, one is a lightweight version.

My local ICE shop swears by it. Wont fit speakers without it, once did a citigo with it and said it was whisper quiet afterwards, but you do have to use dynamat, not some cheap mock up of it.