Do people approach you about your Estelle / Rapid?

I have noticed that when filling up with petrol or in a car park I get people come over to chat about the old Estelle - they usually have one in their family in the past. I have had people want to buy it too - but I politely decline.

I think that they have reached the point where they really are interesting now (not that they ever were not to me) and they get noticed more than they used to. They look nothing like modern cars at all - which is a good thing. So, if you have anyone come over and share an interesting story do share - they are always good to read.

• Like 3

My Dad had 3 and I learnt to drive in one, the best one in snow was the original that had Russian tyres rather than Goodyears! I remember he changed the single hug cover to a wheel trim of a better model Gl? and then the skoda logo in silver .I also remember people looking puzzled  when he lifted the boot in the front sideways 

I had a czech jump into the passenger side unexpectedly one time. He took dozens of pics and insisted on a quick spin to the other side of the lights, when he got back out and ran back to his own car which he had abandoned in the middle of the road. Most people hate it and tailgate me, one old fart in a fezzy ST overtook just me in a long line of traffic and then nobody else for about 50m dispite having ample opportunity. I nearly had a dust up with a bin wagon crew over the way the driver tried to run me into oncoming traffic once, none of this ever happens when i'm in the Porsche. Car wash workers are regular head turners too.

Beautiful car Tailhappy. 

I don't remember the last time I filled up my Rapid and didn't have someone acknowledge the car, be that in the form if a smile, a "nice car" or a full on discussion about Skodas. It happens not just when filling up too - I've had a few people in my locality add me on Faebook because they'd seen the car and wanted to know more and generally I get lots of positive response about them. I don't remember the last time anyone made mention of the jokes and the preceding bad reputation. 

11072321_10155445513020145_5731726255549

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was putting my car away yesterday and I had two lads come over and we chatted enthusiastically for 20 minutes. Ended up being told the car had made their day and I got a handshake and a thank you for taking time to chat. They loved the engine in the back and empty bonnet space - a world away from Vauxhall Corsas and other blandmobiles.

Thanks for the input. Our local tyre depot and car wash employees always give me a cheery wave when they see me in the old Skoda - beats abuse like they used to get. I found a photo of mine that I have just tidied up a little so posting here to share.

18041997-lg.jpg

I am really enjoying using it this year - its running well.

That's a lovely Estelle. I used to have a 105 too. It was agonisingly slow though :D

That's a lovely Estelle. I used to have a 105 too. It was agonisingly slow though :D

I think the 105 needs to be looked after very closely to run its best. If anything is 'off' then performance suffers as there is no reserve. With quite some effort I have got mine running well enough so that it actually pushes up quite steep hills in third gear whereas if something is a bit off then second gear is called for. Its only when going at 60 and then wanting more speed does it feel like it is running out of power. Best to stay at 60. But on a downhill stretch it can go at quite surprising speeds (not that I do any more).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Takes me back , started of with a 105 cost  £200, my wife learned to drive in that car including shouting out that she could not reach the brake pedal when her high heel went through a thin spot on the floor! Next up was a hipberry red 120lse with glass sunroof, and finally a chocolate brown 130 with proper rear suspension which was actually great fun to drive.All reliable transport that cost pennies to run and could be repaired with a basic toolkit .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...