Halogen bulbs

Maybe a poll thread with bcm part numbers would help get to the bottom of it. I don't think Mike was suggesting all fl are going to pop bcm's just that there is an increased risk making fitting and coding on his part too risky.I fully understand his thinking. People are all gung ho before fitting willing to accept the risks right until it goes tits up then the fitter gets the blame. Mike knows his stuff so I'd be wary if I wasn't fully prepared to change the bcm and possibly more. Not all smokers get cancer but you would struggle to find a doctor that recommends taking it up.

Just to be clear none of my post are aimed at contradicting Mike at all. I'd just like to find out what the reason is for the reported couple of failures, and just pointing out that it has been successfully done on FLs so there is obviously more to it than a pre FL / FL thing.

Guest ProfesorDeBuceo

I wouldn't dream of disputing what others have or haven't done with HIDs, I'm not clairvoyant and so in no position to do so. What I can say with 100% certainty relates to my own experience with them. As Mike related, the kit was the one recommended, it was fitted correctly (as per instructions & advice) and it was coded correctly. It blew the BCM, twice!

Since returning to standard bulbs there's been no issues. Why it should have caused problems I don't know, all I do know is I won't be doing HIDs again, I don't need the hassle.

Thanks all. Anyone got a link to the exact main beams I need for an octavia vrs mk2 face-lift? I might give the extreme 130 a go. I don't have access to check which size etc I need so could someone just provide a link please?

Edit. Sorry hadn't refreshed the page and missed all the replies. I'll order them now. Cheers!

Edited by planehazza

Be careful of using 130W bulbs instead of higher output 55W standard ones -- the lenses are polycarbonate and may well either melt or become discoloured because of excess heat. Also,the wiring may well not be up to the higher current that a higher wattage bulb uses.

Power in watts = current in Amps x voltage.

So 55W bulbs work on around 55/12= 4.8 Amps.

130W bulbs work on around 130/12 = 11.8 Amps.

This extra voltage load is not going to be liked by the BCM.

Mike

Thanks mate. They're 55w as normal; aren't they just branded as 130% light?

I don't blame you Mike for not wanting to get involved in setting up HIDs on FL cars whilst there is doubt as to what is happening. I wouldn't do it at this point either. I'm interested to find out exactly how many FLs have had a problem. When I fitted mine many others on here were doing theirs that's how I knew what to do, and as far as I know they haven't reported failures. Have the ones that failed recently, failed immediately after fitting HIDs or after a period of time?  I even used mine for a week uncoded with the bulb error showing without any damage and got the coding done later. Perhaps another thread asking for other FL experiences is required.

Thanks Mike, so it would seem after two years of no problems mine is probably going to be ok as the BCMs were quickly fried in the examples you give. There must be different revisions or weaker / more sensitive models of BCMs then? 

Be careful of using 130W bulbs instead of higher output 55W standard ones -- the lenses are polycarbonate and may well either melt or become discoloured because of excess heat. Also,the wiring may well not be up to the higher current that a higher wattage bulb uses.

Power in watts = current in Amps x voltage.

So 55W bulbs work on around 55/12= 4.8 Amps.

130W bulbs work on around 130/12 = 11.8 Amps.

This extra voltage load is not going to be liked by the BCM.

Mike

they are listed as road legal by philips so wont be anymore than 55w.

The extra brightness is done by other means than the wattage.

All philips bulbs which are over 55w are classed as not road legal such as their rally bulbs

FWIW, I'd suggest staying with the 30 or 50% brighter halogen bulbs.

They extra light comes from making the filament burn brighter/hotter on the same current, which also shortens the bulbs life.

If you do higher milage, then you'll probably only get 6-9 months out of the super bright bulbs.

Just MHO and not by any means infallible, but I went back to osram silverstars from the 70% bulbs, due to the very short bulb lifes.

Hi all. I currently do very little, 5k a year. This will soon go up a bit thanks to a promotion, but I suspect I'll still do no more than 7k.

Anyways, I went for the Philips 130%. With regards to the 130w; if they're just bulbs or diodes, without built in circuitry, how can they demand more current?

Genuine question as I don't know how it would. I'm used to working with power, voltage and current due to power systems etc. in my RC hobby.

Edited by planehazza

I'm so very confused...

I ordered H1 as recommended, but they're the wrong bulbs?  

What I need to replace:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/Amraam/IMG_20150624_183125.jpg~original

What arrived:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/Amraam/IMG_20150624_183142.jpg~original

I just need regular headlight halogen. Is that H1 or H7??

So is main beam the full beam? Or is it the same bulb on my VRS? I can't see anywhere that these H1s would fit, except for the fake side lights that don't do anything.

Please advise as I'll need to arrange a swap or refund if they're the wrong ones.

I assume I need these?? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHILIPS-EXTREME-VISION-H7-130-PAIR-GENUINE-FANTASTIC-VALUE/361321426699?_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30773%26meid%3Deb15dc0d3f1b4f2ca6a7892b142f1141%26pid%3D100012%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D151710648987

Edited by planehazza

main beam and full beam is just two different ways of saying the same thing. Your dipped beam might be HID or H7, this is the one you drive with normally. Main or full beam is the one you use if no-one else is about.

This is H1. It will be covered with a rubber cover on the inside of the headlamp unit

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mvk_E-dV1H_If8oz_bx9Owg.jpg

Main/full beam is on the right as you look at this picture

Dipped will be in the projector lense

Edited by ryan-re

main beam and full beam is just two different ways of saying the same thing. Your dipped beam might be HID or H7, this is the one you drive with normally. Main or full beam is the one you use if no-one else is about.

This is H1. It will be covered with a rubber cover on the inside of the headlamp unit

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mvk_E-dV1H_If8oz_bx9Owg.jpg

Main/full beam is on the right as you look at this picture

Dipped will be in the projector lense

That's where I've got confused.  I though was main headlight, and full was country night time fun lights ha.  So I'll order H7 and get a refund on these H1s.  Oops!

CBA to return them so have just fitted them to replace the OEM full beams.  

Edited by planehazza

many people use the term "main" incorrectly so its not suprised you got confused.

You wont be dissapointed with the new main beams though. Going for the same bulbs in H7 guise too?

many people use the term "main" incorrectly so its not suprised you got confused.

You wont be dissapointed with the new main beams though. Going for the same bulbs in H7 guise too?

Yup ordered them today, thanks.

• 1 month later...

I had the same Philips xtremes in the MINI that I've just sold, for nearly 3 years and over 42000 miles. Both cars before that had xenons but a Ford Focus that I put them in before those, ate the bulbs regularly every 3 months, in pairs! Might have been generations apart but I fancy the newer ones are lasting longer.

I got a set of 130% H1 & H7s for less than £40 this morning from eurocarparts and popped them in. When I examined the originals, they were a mix of ordinary Osram and Philips. Road tested the xtremes in the dark tonight and they are certainly beneficial. Not xenon bright obviously but brighter so that you can indeed see further with them. Reflective road furniture was glowing nicely too. Worth it - yes!