Mk3 2.0 TDI vs 1.6 TDI engine noise - pre test drive info

Hey Guys,

So, I had a 2014 1.6 TDI Elegance with 11.500 miles on the clock, had it for 2 weeks and then due some issues I had with the dealer that I won't go into here regarding the bodywork on the car and the cars previous history, the car went back to the dealer & I got my money back. 

The 1.6 TDI I had had a pretty quiet, refined engine, for a diesel anyway, and was nice and quiet inside the car when cruising along.

I'm going to test drive a 2014  2.0 TDI Elegance soon, probably Wednesday and I'm wondering if I can expect the same level of engine refinement that I had with the 1.6 TDI engine?

This car had only covered 5.500 miles, so half the mileage of the previous car I had, not that that should make any real difference to engine refinement, BUT, having watched the video bellow, the 2.0 TDI engine sounds really rattly compared to the 1.6 TDI engine I had previously.  Maybe it's just the sound on the video, but that's why I'm asking LOL!!

You'll hear the engine ticking over around 10 seconds into the clip, and then again at about 3:45  (I wouldn't bother watching the rest of the clip, it's not worth watching!!)

Thanks!!

My 2.0tdi is very quiet and very smooth to drive. My other car is a shogun sport diesel. Now that is a loud rattly engine!

The Octavia has replaced my wife's seat Ibiza 1.4tdi ecomotive. The Octavia is much much quieter and sounds a lot smoother.

Thanks guys!! 

O.K. so I've been doing a bit more reading, and from what I've read, the 2.0 TDI CR engine should be more refined that the 1.9 TDI PD I had in my previous Fabia, but not as refined as the 1.6 TDI CR engine that was in the Octy 3 had had that went back to the dealer, due to the reduced stroke?

My 184 2 litre has gotten noticeably noisier from new. When I first got it I thought it was pretty good for a diesel but after 50k someone with an identical engine pointed out that it sounds like a bag of spanners compared to theirs...and they were right...

My 2.0 TDi (with DSG) is smooth and quiet from the inside. Outside it is noisy like most diesels.

Noise from driver's door -

https://youtu.be/L7gKJUOouXo

Noise from grill -

https://youtu.be/csU_PwWRE_I

Thanks for the clips :thumbup:   For my ears, you car does indeed sound more refined than my Fabia did, and less refined than the 1.6 TDI CR engine did.  Did you ever got to the bottom of that whirling sound from your exhaust?  (I couldn't resist checking your youtube channel for more engine audio clips!!)

My 184 2 litre has gotten noticeably noisier from new. When I first got it I thought it was pretty good for a diesel but after 50k someone with an identical engine pointed out that it sounds like a bag of spanners compared to theirs...and they were right...

O.K. thanks!!

What sort of mileage have you done so far? Are you happy with the noise from inside your car?

Thanks for the clips :thumbup:   For my ears, you car does indeed sound more refined than my Fabia did, and less refined than the 1.6 TDI CR engine did.  Did you ever got to the bottom of that whirling sound from your exhaust?  (I couldn't resist checking your youtube channel for more engine audio clips!!)

I got a link from aki78 (see my posts today). It is the fuel pump, I will contact the dealer in the morning

O.K. thanks!!

What sort of mileage have you done so far? Are you happy with the noise from inside your car?

There's about 53k km on it. It's not too noisey inside the car but its gotten worse. It settles down when cruising and warmed up though.

I got a link from aki78 (see my posts today). It is the fuel pump, I will contact the dealer in the morning

Ah, yes, I've just spotted that thread.  I'll check for that on the car I'm going to test drive.  Is it worse once you car id fully warmed up, or more noticeable a few mins after a cold start?

There's about 53k km on it. It's not too noisey inside the car but its gotten worse. It settles down when cruising and warmed up though.

O.K. thanks again.  I guess that makes it a typical oil burner then;-)

Ah, yes, I've just spotted that thread.  I'll check for that on the car I'm going to test drive.  Is it worse once you car id fully warmed up, or more noticeable a few mins after a cold start?

Same all the time.

Good luck with your test drive P.S. don't view the paintwork in the rain, you know what happened last time ;)

Have you had it dealer serviced or done independently by someone who knows what they're doing and uses a fuel system/injector cleaner?

I'm very happy with my new 2.0TDI but its not a patch on the Kia Cee'd I rented last weekend while I was waiting for it to arrive. They're both miles ahead of the 2008 BMW 118D it replaced. 

Have you had it dealer serviced or done independently by someone who knows what they're doing and uses a fuel system/injector cleaner?

I'm very happy with my new 2.0TDI but its not a patch on the Kia Cee'd I rented last weekend while I was waiting for it to arrive. They're both miles ahead of the 2008 BMW 118D it replaced. 

Only serviced (oil change) by a main dealer back in Nov 2014.

Same all the time.

Good luck with your test drive P.S. don't view the paintwork in the rain, you know what happened last time ;)

LOL!!  Yeah,  Annoyingly, the weather for Wednesday here is :rain::notme:   The dealer has yet to confirm if the car will arrive on Wednesday for me to test drive though.  Thursday would be better weather wise, but I finish early this Wednesday, but not on Thursday.  If I test drive it in the wet on Wednesday, I won't be committing to anything until I've seen the bodywork in the dry.  I sure don't want a repeat of what happened last time!!!!

That's surprising to hear, I thought all BMW diesels were good, but I guess not.

Oh, BTW guys, just a little thing, but would I be correct in thinking that the 2.0 TDI Octavia gets the TDI badge on the rear of the boot lid, but the 1.6 TDI doesn't get a TDI badge at all? Or is the TDI badge an option?

Oh, BTW guys, just a little thing, but would I be correct in thinking that the 2.0 TDI Octavia gets the TDI badge on the rear of the boot lid, but the 1.6 TDI doesn't get a TDI badge at all? Or is the TDI badge an option?

My 63 plate does not have TDi badge - don't you start a 'TDi badge' crime spree.

My 63 plate does not have TDi badge - don't you start a 'TDi badge' crime spree.

Humm,  Interesting,  it's funny how some cars have the badge & some don't.  I guess I might have to dig my :bandit: out  LOL........ Or just buy one from Flebay.

I had a 2015 Golf 1.6 TDI a couple of months back and now a 2014 Passat 2.0 TDI - the 1.6 (despite being brand new at the time) didn't sound as loud/raucous/rattly as the 2.0 does.  If it is an increase in stroke, then that could explain it.

The 2.0 isn't exactly loud in itself - but nowhere as pleasant sounding as the 5-pot oil burner in my old Merc though!

TDI and TSI badges were only for early MK3 Octavias - now no longer used.

More powerful TDI e.g. 2.0 TDI had a red letter 'I', 1.6 TDI had chrome.

Ah, right, I see.  That makes sense.  I kind of like the badge, I'll try and find one on e-bay then.  Thanks!!

I had a 2015 Golf 1.6 TDI a couple of months back and now a 2014 Passat 2.0 TDI - the 1.6 (despite being brand new at the time) didn't sound as loud/raucous/rattly as the 2.0 does.  If it is an increase in stroke, then that could explain it.

The 2.0 isn't exactly loud in itself - but nowhere as pleasant sounding as the 5-pot oil burner in my old Merc though!

Thanks, I think that I can live with the more rattly 2.0 TDI over the 1.6 TDI for the extra power it has.

I simply can't live with the lack of guts from the 1.6 TDI in the O3, it is a good engine, but hardly helps to make the Octavia an inspiring drive.

• Like 1