Alternatives to a Yeti 1.4 TSi DSG?

Totally Square

... which I like the idea of but we can't buy in the UK. Looking for a petrol auto in this class.

1. Yeti 1.2 DSG: a little light on the power for this class of car?

2. Qashqai 1.2 auto: its a CVT!

3. Golf SV or Estate 1.4 DSG: v small boot on the SV, and the Estate is nice but low

4. BMW 218SE Active Tourer: still not a brilliant boot, but at least should hold its value. If you are OK with it being pricier / a BMW...

Any other suggestions? 

Edited by Totally Square

May I just offer a couple thoughts on your list...and offer one further suggestion?

I honestly wouldn't have said that, in practice, the 1.2 is especially light on power...particularly if it wasn't loaded 'four up' in the  Lake District.  After four years I've truly never yearned for more power...the DSG selects whatever gear it wants and, to some extent, I think this rather compensates (or do I mean masks?) any shortage of breath at times.  But there's just two of us most of the time and rarely four...but even then it's OK for us.

A mate has the manual 1.2 QQ and he and I would say the same about that as I say about the about the Yeti....it's powerful enough for the vast majority of the time.  However I've not been in the CVT so that might upset the apple cart...however I gather it's one of the better CVTs.

I only sat in the Golf SV and thought it distinctly lower than the Yeti and the dash (and interior generally) seemed more "closed in" and slightly oppressive compared to the (seemingly) spacious front compartment of the Yeti.  Which was a shame as I had high hopes there and might have considered one otherwise.  I didn't notice the boot being vastly smaller myself.

Not seen the BMW in the flesh and would have to think long and hard before buying a BMW (not my favourite marque but mainly for the all the wrong reasons if you know what I mean). The (perceived) improvement in residuals would be a bonus (but is it a factual improvement in residuals when it comes to selling, and are running costs significantly higher on a BMW?)

I'll be looking at the Honda HRV when it eventually arrives. I would buy a Honda with a degree of confidence. The HRV is a similar length as the Yeti (4295mm) and will have a 1.5 petrol engine and 1.6 diesel.  CVT transmission on the petrol.  I don't think that wouldn't bother me unduly. I was happy enough with the CVT Jazz I had and should have kept it instead of losing money by replacing it with a torque converter Hyundai i10.

Await your further thoughts with some interest.

Edited by oldstan
  • Like 1

Not got the ride height but what about a Spaceback Sport 1.4 TSI DSG

TP

like Tim said, spaceback or the Octavia 1.4 dsg (now 150PS on the 1.4)

Any thoughts on the Peugeot 3008 .....the current 1.2 engine is a ripper and it has (in our 308, at least) the Toyota/Aisin sequential semi-manual.

... which I like the idea of but we can't buy in the UK. Looking for a petrol auto in this class.

1. Yeti 1.2 DSG: a little light on the power for this class of car?

2. Qashqai 1.2 auto: its a CVT!

3. Golf SV or Estate 1.4 DSG: v small boot on the SV, and the Estate is nice but low

4. BMW 218SE Active Tourer: still not a brilliant boot, but at least should hold its value. If you are OK with it being pricier / a BMW...

Any other suggestions? 

The 1.4 is available with DSG in the Audi Q3 (2wd). Very pricey, but probably holds its value as well as a BMW. 

like Tim said, spaceback or the Octavia 1.4 dsg (now 150PS on the 1.4)

Sadly the Octy has outgrown my driveway even in hatch form. Rapid just felt a bit narrow. Neither fit the family desire for something a bit higher!  :notme:

...I'll be looking at the Honda HRV when it eventually arrives. I would buy a Honda with a degree of confidence. The HRV is a similar length as the Yeti (4295mm) and will have a 1.5 petrol engine and 1.6 diesel.  CVT transmission on the petrol.  I don't think that wouldn't bother me unduly. I was happy enough with the CVT Jazz I had and should have kept it instead of losing money by replacing it with a torque converter Hyundai i10....

Good point - I saw the HR-V (with a different name) in Asia a few weeks back while on holiday. Seemed very popular. I suspect the 1.5 is a non-turbo but will check out the previews...

Any thoughts on the Peugeot 3008 .....the current 1.2 engine is a ripper and it has (in our 308, at least) the Toyota/Aisin sequential semi-manual.

Bit of an aversion to French cars (and their reliability reputation). Had a 405 once that was very decent to drive, if a bit tired. I like the Captur but its too small; the Kadjar (?) QQ equivalent looks nice but not seen their petrol auto option yet. The 3008, er,  fails the "visual pleasure" test, although I agree those new PSA engines seem a peach.

The 1.4 is available with DSG in the Audi Q3 (2wd). Very pricey, but probably holds its value as well as a BMW. 

Tiny boot though? I had a look at one (and a Q5), but the Audis as well as the X1/X3 just look too... overpriced? The next X1 based on the Mini / ActiveTourer might be a goer though...

Road-test the Yeti 1.2 DSG. We were planning to purchase a 2.0 4x4 Diesel, but do low mileage and live in Surrey, so no real justification for a 4x4. "Her who must be obeyed" saw a new 1.2 DSG for the same price as a 2nd hand 4x4 and said she'd rather have the new one! I really can't believe how quick and responsive the 1.2 DSG is. so, my advice - buy the Yeti 1.2 DSG!

• Like 3

Bit of an aversion to French cars (and their reliability reputation). Had a 405 once that was very decent to drive, if a bit tired. I like the Captur but its too small; the Kadjar (?) QQ equivalent looks nice but not seen their petrol auto option yet. The 3008, er, fails the "visual pleasure" test, although I agree those new PSA engines seem a peach.

I agree, can't quite understand why the sedan version doesn't doesn't translate to the 3008 - it's a challenge.

If only the engine was in the Yeti, that'd be something!

When it comes to reliability, out here at least, VAG can't boast at all.

Edited by Ryeman
  • Like 1

Road-test the Yeti 1.2 DSG. We were planning to purchase a 2.0 4x4 Diesel, but do low mileage and live in Surrey, so no real justification for a 4x4. "Her who must be obeyed" saw a new 1.2 DSG for the same price as a 2nd hand 4x4 and said she'd rather have the new one! I really can't believe how quick and responsive the 1.2 DSG is. so, my advice - buy the Yeti 1.2 DSG!

Coming to the end of four years of 1.2 yeti ownership and it's the one I'd recommend every time. I wanted the 1.2 in the octavia that's replacing it but stupidly skoda UK don't allow you to combine 1.2 and SEL trim so I've had to jump up to the 1.4

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Likewise: I like the power and economy of the diesel but can't justify the upfront cost, 4x4 (for DSG) for my overall mileage. A 1.4 TSi 150PS 4x2 DSG would have been ideal but I guess that will only happen with the Yeti Mk2 late next year.

Result: 1.2 DSG ordered.

• Like 1

I'm sure you'll find the 1.2 DSG Yeti absolutely fine.  I've just returned from holiday in Scotland,  where mine coped admirably with 20% gradients... two BIG adults and a fortnight's luggage (my wife travels very heavy!!!) means we were fully laden,  and the car breezed up hill and down glen with ease.  Took it easy on the long motorway journeys there and back (from East Anglia) and averaged 42.3mpg on the maxi dot over 1796 miles all with aircon on,  and a lot also driving the wipers and headlights (weather left a lot to be desired!).  Well pleased,  and she's now pretty much run in, I guess.

• Like 1

and a lot also driving the wipers and headlights (weather left a lot to be desired!). Well pleased, and she's now pretty much run in, I guess.

Yup, this summer had been pretty much a washout.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

1.2 (we have a manual) generally OK.  Loosens up after 10,000 miles or so, so a demonstrator may not give a true impression.  But overtaking those who insist on doing 55 on the speedo (true 51-52) on an unrestricted single carriageway does require anticipation and space - and 4th, if not 3rd.

• 6 months later...

I had the BMW 2 series Active as a loan car a few months ago (diesel version) and to be honest I didn't like it very much, at least not to drive. Whether you like BMW or not, most of their cars are reasonably enjoyable to drive, but this was totally devoid of any character or feel. I didn't think the interior was particularly high in perceived quality either. It should be noted I am a BMW fan too.

It could end up as dangerous territory for BMW and I doubt if their heart is in it like the French frinstance.

Hanker for a RWD was a long time ago for me....... I prefer smarter packaging.