Rust under bonnet

Looks like maybe the stamping for the part has stopped the paint filling properly. It's well away from any chance of stone chips so you should be making an enquiry about claiming the anti-corrosion warranty.

Otherwise since it's out of sight I'd probably be smearing some nice thick grease over it.

• Like 1

Beaten to it as was about to say it looks like it may be due to stamping of the numbers. I checked mine and no numbers stamped into the panel BUT  I found two rust marks in the about the same place, each about 2-3 mm diameter which like they have been made by being in contact with something in the past - factory tools for lifting?

Thanks for making me look!

I am in the process of sorting out the warranty work, but Customer services are being a rite pain.

I refuse to take it back to the garage where I bought the car from to do the work, although it has been authorised by them, due to their previous shoddy work on a bumper, and lack of dialogue and lies. :thumbdown:

Customer services say that I should, Quote; 'bite the bullet' and take it there to get the work done, or otherwise go to another garage, for them to examine the rust and put in another warranty claim..... which has already been authorised by the initial garage!!  :wall:

otherwise go to another garage, for them to examine the rust and put in another warranty claim..... which has already been authorised by the initial garage!!  :wall:

Do that then. It's rust, the bonnet isn't going to turn to dust in a few weeks.

Get it fixed right, paint repairs are a huge PITA to rectify if not done right.

Check around the back of the grill too.

There were a number of 2012 cars that started to rust along the lower edge of the bonnet around the grill.

See here for pictures...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/274349-corrosion-under-front-edge-of-bonnet/?hl=%2Bscout+%2Bbonnet+%2Brust

I checked mine and no numbers stamped into the panel BUT  I found two rust marks in the about the same place, each about 2-3 mm diameter which like they have been made by being in contact with something in the past - factory tools for lifting?

Thanks for making me look!

I have an appointment with the local Skoda garage body shop on Friday so they can measure the paint thickness and prepare a report for Skoda UK.

The Service Manger took a look and said this is the second one he has seen in that position. The first claim was rejected by Skoda UK as they said the seal had been rubbing against the bonnet and the supplying dealer should have adjusted the bonnet. The seal is so compliant I doubt anyone would have considered adjusting the bonnet at PDI.

No rust at the front edge as shown above.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I will start a new one if you like.

• Like 1

Update: I photographed my two rust spots on the bonnet and then enlarged the photos to see more easily.

One of the rust spots is exactly the same location and from the number stamping as shown in photo in post number one. The difference is I caught it early thanks to this thread and the rust is not so extensive. 

Booked in for a body shop appraisal at Skoda dealer tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 1

Glad this post was/is of help. Nothing found n the front edge with mine.

Check your Service schedule booklets as well.

There are pages within the booklet  'check corrosion protection of the body' this was not completed last yr when in for service. Rust does not appear overnight!

The second warranty claim has now gone in and am awaiting response.