Smartlink Unlocking/Activation option

There have been lots of posts in this thread that say you can use Google Maps over Smartlink. I am using an iPhone and Smartlink works very well. I can use Apple Maps but cannot work out how to use Google Maps. Is it possible?

No, apple only allow certain apps to be accessed from the car, I would say apple maps works as well as google maps for directions in my experience. You can start google maps in the background and it will read out the directions for you, I believe.

Thank you for your quick reply. I had found the method for running Google Maps in the background but I think I'm better off just using Apple Maps if I fancy a change from the built in navigation in the Amundsen. I guess I'm just a bit of a geek and slightly curious how others had Google Maps working when I couldn't do it!

I am not familiar with Apple, but you can run any app (Google Maps, Igo, Torque, etc.) via MirrorLink if you have Android...

So, not only maps that are certified to work with Android Auto.