Skoda breakdown assistance - not as comprehensive as I thought

Regardless if the "AA" cover Trailers or not, Skoda assist is cover for the car only and not you......if the car had broken down then yes it might be a different story.

I've had to use Skoda assist once in the past and they did a wonderful job!

• Like 4

As far as I can see Auto Aid do not provide recovery if the trailer is the "cause" of the "breakdown" which is what the OP was complaining about regarding the Skoda Assist service.

"We will refund the cost of repairing or recovering any caravan or small trailer which is properly attached to the vehicle."

I was just showing that even cheap policies can include caravans and trailers.

"We will refund the cost of repairing or recovering any caravan or small trailer which is properly attached to the vehicle."

I was just showing that even cheap policies can include caravans and trailers.

Without wishing to flog a dead horse you are quoting the “guidance notes”   in their t&c’s. The actual main body of the t&c’s appears to say something very different (the bolding is mine):

Caravan and trailers

If your vehicle breaks down any attached caravan or small trailer will be entitled to the same service as the vehicle as long as it is attached to the vehicle by a standard 50 millimetre (2 inch) towing coupling. Trailers can only be covered if they are not more than 3 metres (10 feet) long and used for private purposes

This is repeated in the explanatory notes on the main page of their website:

Cover for caravans and small trailers

If your vehicle breaks down, any attached caravan or small trailer will be entitled to the same service as the vehicle as long as it's attached to the vehicle by a standard 50 millimetre (2 inch) towing coupling.

Which do you believe?

Having queried this with both the AA and Skoda assistance, it is written in their policies that they will recover a trailer if it is only the trailer that has broken down but not the car. They will recover the trailer to a place of safety only, meaning a local garage.

I reported the fact that when I phoned Skoda assistance at the time of the incident, they point blank refused to recover the trailer. Speaking with Skoda CS this morning, they are in agreement that my trailer should have been recovered and will be investigating why I was refused any assistance.

It would appear that reading through most of the responses to my original post, most folk seem to think I am completely in the wrong.

The AA's tag line is the 4th emergency service. If they don't provide any service what possible use is having the cover in the first instance.

The breakdown cover that Skoda provide in not free, Skoda accounts for this when setting the purchase price of the car.

• Like 1

On page 18 of the Skoda road assistance manual it says the following:

Recovery does not include:
Breakdowns of caravans, trailers or other objects being
towed. If Your Vehicle suffers a Breakdown We will recover
any caravan, trailer or other object which has not broken
down and which was being towed by the Vehicle at the time
of Breakdown, subject to the terms of ŠKODA Roadside
Assistance including the length restrictions.

• Like 1

Sorry to rain on your parade, but the fact you have a Skoda fitted towbar doesn't make the item attached to the towbar covered by Skoda assist.

Skoda give you three years Skoda assist irrespective of mileage from new, most manufacturers give one year.

The car was drivable once the item being towed was detached.