Help! Columbus sat nav showing me in Germany when I'm in Lancashire

Turned my map on whilst driving home from Preston today and the map was showing me in Germany  :o  at least I presume where Munchen is.

I put my home post code in from the memory and it plotted me a few routes varying between 850 and 916 miles and involving some ferries  :D  ......... hmmmm, I think not.

Forgot all about it when I came in and have just checked it again and yes, I no longer live near Clitheroe, I live near Munchen  :p

Does anyone know a fix for this and what might have caused it?  I've not had the battery disconnected or any fuses blown and I've not taken my car out of the country at any stage either :|  

Edited by alkip

Okay,I've just rebooted it by holding the 4 top buttons in simultaniously but afterwards it still shows me in Germany.

Thanks Simbo, hope that you're well it's been a long time since the Stretton fox meets.  I can't understand it not picking up a signal all the way home or now when it's sat outside home, could it be something broken to do with the aerial?

Paul, I fear that you're right and it's the last straw for me with this car, time to find something new pronto.

If it's got RS, it's a scrapper, as I found out.

Mine had it and I fixed it with a firmware update, it seems some just do that even with a satellite link and then after about 2 minutes it gets a fix. For me it was just that i had installed the wrong firmware. Hopefully yours is the same :(

Mine had it and I fixed it with a firmware update

Thanks, luckily I'm passing the dealer on Tuesday where I had the gearbox service done earlier this year so I'll give them a call first and see whether they'll update it if I call in.

I'd rather eat my own feet than go the dealer I got it from.

It's definitely been a while... Have you seen the price of the drinks? :D

I'd try unplug the GPS aerial, plug it back in then see if it gets a fix with the ignition on & car stationary to start with. If that doesn't work, find an empty car park & drive a figure of eight pattern to try for a fix. Hope it's nothing more serious! :thumbup:

Blooming heck don't tell me they've gone up  :whew:  

I'll have a gander at them thanks, had enough of it to be honest so maybe this just what was needed to force my hand in to a change.

• Like 1

Cheers Mike, I just checked and it's seeing 0 out of 11 so, if I don't like the Alfa, Hyundai, Volvo or Ford which I'm going to look at in the next few days is there a way to dry out the aerial and co-ax ...... I'm still always watching the pennies or, would it have to be a new one and how the heck do I get it off?

Yes, I've got AM reception.

Thankyou very much Mike for the links, I'll take a gander at those   :clap:

Edited by alkip

Turned my map on again on the way home today and eveything is OK, checked the NAV and that's working fione too.

From reading the link to changing the aerial that Mike supplied I could do with putting some silicon somewhere but where should I apply this?

Just put a location in for where I'm off to tomorrow and noticed that it's gone back to 4 figure postcode search   :thumbdown:

I have a bee nest to move tonight and don't have time tonight to seal the aerial etc as well so I hope that it doesn't rain before I get to it but I'm taking Karen's mobile SAT NAV just incase the columbus et al decides to go rogue on me tomorrow.

For my next and future cars I shall be buying a mobile SAT NAV, probably with free lifetime updates, speed camera warnings and so on for £100 or so.

Edited by alkip

Regensburg is develompent center, all RNS from 2007 were produce in Czech republic;)

Do you performed re-flash of SW or maps?

The OP said no, he did not. The RNS defaulted back to Regensgurg because it had lost all communication with satellites. 

Like Mike said, I hadn't done a thing it just went caput but is now back working, I'm aiming to get shut of the car quickly before it goes pear shaped again.

I was planning on changing anyway, this has just hastened the act.

Mike is a fair few miles away now anyway in Whitby having moved from New Longton a few years back. 

• 6 months later...

Hi Mike,

great post here....thank you. Although, for me, I've got a Superb II, with the same issue. It's got the Columbus 510 unit, showing 0/12 Satellites....so it sounds like a water damaged aerial. I think the little aerial you mentioned to sit above the heater vent in the dash could be the way to go.....