oil top up amount

I had to refill mine when my oil pressure sensor leaked for about 150 miles. When I checked the level, the oil mark could be barely seen on the (tip of the) dipstick. It drank 1litre. 

• Like 1

I'd say less than half a litre but do a little bit at a time and check. Make sure you leave it a minute after topping up to checking.

Just what I was going to say mate.
  • Like 1

One further comment, if you are talking about the 1.4 16V engine, at least the BBY and onwards are a bit strange to check the oil level. Leaving it overnight and just checking the dipstick will not work as the level will have crept up to well over the max level, if left overnight, remove the dipstick wipe and refit and wait for 10>15 minutes then check level again. With a hot engine, stop engine, wait 15 minutes, remove dipstick and wipe and refit, then 10 minutes later remove dipstick and read off level.

This might seem a bit OTT if you have come from a non VAG car previously, but it really does work and avoids overfilling etc.