UK Configurator

Does anyone know the differences between 'Sliding trunk cover' (£65) and 'Retractable parcel shelf' (£120) on the UK configurator for the Superb Estate? You can only select one or the other. In the L&K spec only 'Retractable parcel shelf' is available as an option (I am assuming in this case that the 'Sliding trunk cover' is included as standard)?

Picture of Sliding trunk cover

Picture of Retractable parcel shelf

To me though the description 'Retractable parcel shelf' suggests it should look like the picture they use for the 'Sliding trunk cover'? It also looks like one sits below the other but you can't specify both? Confused!

Edited by l4wrence

Does anyone know the differences between 'Sliding trunk cover' (£65) and 'Retractable parcel shelf' (£120) on the UK configurator for the Superb Estate? You can only select one or the other. In the L&K spec only 'Retractable parcel shelf' is available as an option (I am assuming in this case that the 'Sliding trunk cover' is included as standard)?

Picture of Sliding trunk cover

Picture of Retractable parcel shelf

To me though the description 'Retractable parcel shelf' suggests it should look like the picture they use for the 'Sliding trunk cover'? It also looks like one sits below the other but you can't specify both? Confused!

I'm not 100% sure but I think the retractable shelve is electric and when you open the boot it retracts automatically, whereas the other one is manual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking at the user manual available here these options are explained on pages 111-113. Now, in the manual they are described as 'Retractable luggage compartment cover' and 'Multi-function pocket'.

So the pictures of the retractable cover in the manual look like the configurator option 'Sliding trunk cover' and the pictures on the multi-function pocket in the manual look like the configurator option 'Retractable parcel shelf'!

My opinion is they have messed up the configurator buy putting the wrong pictures against the wrong option. Note that according to the manual the retractable cover can be set to automatic rolling up in the infotainment system. So 'Retractable parcel shelf' @ £120 is pages 111 & 112 in the instruction manual (configurator incorrectly displaying a picture of the 'Multi-function pocket' and 'Sliding trunk cover / Multi-function pocket' @ £65 is page 113 in the instruction manual (configurator incorrectly displaying a picture of the 'Retractable parcel shelf').

I guess that makes sence based on the prices of each?

Edited by l4wrence

L&K is £4500 more than the SE L, but much stuff is missing. Read parking camera, Travel assist, Media Command. Most of these were included in the reviews but are not standard items on the L&K (a reminder this is supposed to be the top of the rand car but it does not include Read parking camera as standard).

What exactly does the £4.5k extra pay for? I really wanted an L&K, but with lack of black leather and that much extra money, I would probably go for SE L, then add the extras I want. Very disappointed!

Also is it worth going for 4x4? I am looking for a hot hatch feel (as much as you can from a very large car). I plan to get the 2.0 TDI 190 PS DSG, should I go or 4x4? Also do I need to select paddle steering wheel from the extras (3 spoke leather MFSW with DSG paddles), or does the default wheel have paddles?

EDIT: There is some good news. By default it comes with no rear wiper :D

Edited by hpoom
  • Like 1

What exactly does the £4.5k extra pay for? I really wanted an L&K, but with lack of black leather and that much extra money, I would probably go for SE L, then add the extras I want. Very disappointed!

I too specced up an SE L Executive but by the time I had added my ‘essentials’ options it worked out dearer than an L&K!

4x4 or FWD? my MKII Superb (remapped 170CR) was FWD and it was perfectly capable and I never struggled with the lack of 4WD, but I too may consider 4x4 next time.

The paddles are a (IIRC) £95 option

Laurin & Klement (over SE L Executive)

Prices from £31,840 OTR

Exterior

18-inch Pegasus anthracite alloy wheels (235/45 R18)

Comfort and convenience

10-speaker CANTON sound system 

Heated windscreen 

Heated rear seats 

Floor mats 

Piano black decorative inserts 

Tri-zone climate control 

Technology

Blind spot detection 

Colour Maxi-DOT trip computer 

KESSY keyless entry and start system 

Lane Assist 

Park Assist 

TV tuner 

Virtual Pedal 

Dynamic chassis control (DCC)

Don't know if you have seen this post "Brochure anyone?..".

But according to the brochure spec's differ to the online configurator!

Also don't really know where the brochure was sourced?

Smart light assist is listed on both the configurator and discount sites but the configurator also lists Light assist with high beam control. You can only choose one of those options on the configurator. I assume the high beam control is the additional part of this option but it’s difficult to tell from the configurator descriptions. One is ‘Smart light assist with Lane assist and BSD’ for £100. The other is ‘Light assist with high beam control’ for £250. Lane assist and BSD are standard options on an L&K so why put it in the description? Why is high beam control not available on car discount sites?

Sunblinds for rear side windows (£175) is listed on both the configurator and discount sites but the discount sites also list ‘Manual rear and rear side window sunblinds’ for £250. Also, as the L&K has privacy glass as standard is there much point also including sunblinds?

3 spoke leather MFSW with DSG paddles (£95) is listed on both the configurator and discount sites but the discount sites also list ‘3 spoke supersport multifunction leather steering wheel including paddle shift’ for £350.00. I am guessing the only difference is the ‘supersport’ is a flatbottom type? What’s the £255 price difference about?

So from the brochure that has been posted I think a few more of my observations can be answered from above:

I think the configurator is incorrecly listing 'Light assist with high beam control' as an option for the L&K. The brochure shows this is not an option. This is what comes as standard:

Lane assist and Blind spot detection Lane assist is a camera-based function which is designed to keep the vehicle within its lane and, if necessary, alert the driver of an unwanted lane change. Blind spot detection uses a radar to prevent the driver from failing to notice a car in the blind spot behind or beside the car and, if necessary, provide a warning signal to the driver in the outer corner of the wing mirrors. Only available in combination with electrically adjustable front seats.

This is the extra option for L&K @ £100:

Smart light assist Uses the multifunction camera to detect when to switch between low and high beams automatically and prevents other drivers from being blinded by the vehicles lights. Also adds further decorative illuminated LED strips to the headlights for a more distinctive look. Includes Lane assist and Blind spot detection. Only available in combination with electrically adjustable front seats and Bi-Xenon headlights.

'Sunblinds for rear window and rear side windows' is also listed in the brochure. The configurator is missing this option.

Discount sites list ‘3 spoke supersport multifunction leather steering wheel including paddle shift’ but this doesn't appear on either the configurator or the brochure. I think the discount sites have it wrong here. The valid option appears to be '3 spoke leather multifunction steering wheel with DSG paddles Only available in combination with DSG transmission' for £95

I also forgot to add the brochure states that the 'Boot net programme' is standard on SE L and L&K trim. However, this is only mentioned on page 29 under the Standard Equipment sections. The brochure options list on page 31 shows this as optional against all trim levels. The configurator only lists it as a option against 'S', 'SE' and 'SE Business' trims. So this tends to point towards it being standard on SE L and L&K.

Regarding the variable boot floor for the esate. The brochure lists this option as 'Variable boot floor Not available in combination with space saver spare wheel'. However, on the configurator there are two spare wheels listed. One is not available when VBF is selected so it appears there is a different spare wheel available for use when a VBF is specified.

I've just noticed the supersport steering wheel is mentioned in the brochure on page 12:

"The 3 spoke multifunction steering wheel wrapped in leather and adorned with chrome elements puts sheer driving pleasure at your fingertips. For an even sportier feel it's possible to upgrade to a Supersport steering wheel in perforated leather and DSG paddles."

However, there's no mention of it in the brochure options or configuraror. Maybe the discount sites do have it listed correctly! I think the option for paddles @ £95 is to add them to the standard wheel (as it's not described as 'Supersport').

Edited by l4wrence

For those querying the difference betweek SE L and L&K I think this is the definitive list of extras. It does seem the extra price increase is justified:

18" Pegasus anthracite alloy wheels with anti-theft wheel bolts (18" x 8J with 235/45 R18 tyres)
Blind spot detection
CANTON sound system (10 loudspeakers, central speaker, subwoofer and digital equaliser)
Colour Maxi-DOT
Dynamic chassis control (DCC)
Electrically adjustable driver and front passenger seats with memory and lumbar support
Floor mats
Heated front and rear seats
Heated windscreen
KESSY
LED exterior light package (LED rear tail lights high, registration plate illumination and boarding spots)
LED interior light package (LED ambient lighting in 3 colours, front and rear reading lights, footwell lighting, door handle illumination and vanity mirror lighting)
Lane assist
Park assist (Includes front and rear parking sensors)
TV tuner
Tri-zone climate control
Virtual pedal

Edited by l4wrence

Notice Alcantara / Leather seats are an £1100 option now - was standard on the current SE.

Also notice in the brochure from the other thread that it actually details the CO2 increases depending on wheel size.

Also is it worth going for 4x4? I am looking for a hot hatch feel (as much as you can from a very large car). I plan to get the 2.0 TDI 190 PS DSG, should I go or 4x4? 

The 4x4 will also cost £130 in VED compared to just £30 for the FWD version, not to mention the 4x4 is 5mpg thirstier (combined figures) 

So in summary the 4x4 will cost you :

£1,370 more to buy

£100 PA more to tax

use nearly 10% more in fuel

The more I think about it, the more I am thinking I do not need 4WD  :D

For those querying the difference betweek SE L and L&K I think this is the definitive list of extras. It does seem the extra price increase is justified:

18" Pegasus anthracite alloy wheels with anti-theft wheel bolts (18" x 8J with 235/45 R18 tyres)

Blind spot detection (comes with lane assist)

CANTON sound system (10 loudspeakers, central speaker, subwoofer and digital equaliser) £600

Colour Maxi-DOT £85

Dynamic chassis control (DCC) £750

Electrically adjustable driver and front passenger seats with memory and lumbar support £550

Floor mats £80

Heated front and rear seats £200

Heated windscreen £300

KESSY £400

LED exterior light package (LED rear tail lights high, registration plate illumination and boarding spots)

LED interior light package (LED ambient lighting in 3 colours, front and rear reading lights, footwell lighting, door handle illumination and vanity mirror lighting) £195

Lane assist £850

Park assist (Includes front and rear parking sensors) £590

TV tuner £850

Tri-zone climate control £300

Virtual pedal £550

Wow £6,300 if you added all the above to the SE L Executive !!

The brochure suggest the L&K has a black leather interior option btw.....

.....but only if you go with the ventilated seats extra.

But if you zoom in on the picture they are brown, so it looks like an error in the brochure (spotted another couple of them)

L&K is £4500 more than the SE L, but much stuff is missing. Read parking camera, Travel assist, Media Command. Most of these were included in the reviews but are not standard items on the L&K (a reminder this is supposed to be the top of the rand car but it does not include Read parking camera as standard).

Also is it worth going for 4x4? I am looking for a hot hatch feel (as much as you can from a very large car). I plan to get the 2.0 TDI 190 PS DSG, should I go or 4x4? Also do I need to select paddle steering wheel from the extras (3 spoke leather MFSW with DSG paddles), or does the default wheel have paddles?

EDIT: There is some good news. By default it comes with no rear wiper :D

An estate without a rear wash-wipe?...............

An estate without a rear wash-wipe?...........

The estate does come with rear wiper as standard. It's the hatchback where it is not included but available as a free of charge option.

Edited by l4wrence

Is TPMS standard now across the Superb III ?

TPMS is now std across all cars in Europe (the price went up slightly to incorporate the change)

TPMS Regulations to be enforced by EU Parliment in 2012

EU Parliament have mandated that from November 2012, all new vehicles (registered after 1 January 2012) will be required by law to have a pressure-based tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) installed. The legislation not only makes it compulsory for all new vehicles to be fitted with such a system, but also for those vehicles fitted with TMPS to be serviced and maintained by law. In fact, any vehicle that has a malfunctioning sensor cannot pass an MOT and is punishable by Police on any roadside checks (as is already true with tyre tread depth), and any garage that services a vehicle is required to ensure that the TPMS system is fully operational before allowing the vehicle to be returned to the customer. 

The legislation has been specifically designed to improve vehicle safety and drive down emissions. The Department for Transport believe that 1,210 road casualties occured in Britain due to illegal, defective and under-inflated tyres during 2010. With figures such as these, it comes to no surprise that the law has been mandated by the EU. In fact, the USA made it compulsory to fit TPMS in 2007, following an excess of 100 deaths from defective tyres.     

With TPMS's future inclusion within MOT tests, garages will definately see a lot more of the technology in the near future. In order to comply with the new law, it is certainly vital for garages to understand how to check the system correctly. Rather than shying away from the technology, garages should see this as a business opportunity by establishing themselves in a new line of vehicle maintenance, rather than loosing their customers to a main dealership.

• Like 1

Finally, a UK spec Skoda that has all options I need, including cloth upholstery with heated seats, RRP and heated windscreen.... but missing the 190bhp / 6spd manual engine/gearbox combo in SE trim. :no:

As soon as Skoda UK adds 190bhp diesel to SE trim, I'm off to take a test drive, hopefully they will come to their senses, even if it takes a few years to get there, like with Rapid pricing/spec.

Until then (likely at Mk3 face lift, so 3-5 years from now), I'll stick to my trusty 9 years / 140k miles old Mk1 Superb Comfort V6 TDI / 6spd manual, seems faster and more reliable than recent Skoda productions  :notme:

Edit:  And I did add the free rear window wiper, in case you wondered  :D

Edited by dieselV6

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to work out the light assist / lane assist / blind spot detection costs for the SE L Exec?

The way I read the brochure:

For L&K, Lane assist and blind spot detection is included, to add smart light assist is £100.

For SE L Exec, Lane assist and blind spot detection is £850 and Smart light assist + LA + BSD is £950. (makes sense that 850+100 = 950).

Smart light assist appears to be a more advanced version of light assist, I think with SLA the beam shape changes whilst with LA it just auto switches low/high beam.

SO: to order the maximum capability for the SE L Exec, you'd order Smart light assist + LA + BSD is £950? It would be great if someone could confirm what options are needed to get the most kit for the money...!