Immobiliser will not unlock

Bad news. 

I have searched for a solution but all the answers I can find refer to remote locking, and not the simple 'key in lock' type.

I went out half an hour ago to do the shopping to find that the 'car-key' icon stays flashing, only allowing three seconds of running. It was used last night around 11pm with no problems, and prior to that, just the hot start sluggishness.

There is mention of a keyfob to scratch and a code appears, but I do not have the fob and there is no note in the paperwork to tell me what the code was.

I am fearing the worst, apart from being a bit peeved.

I have tried both keys with the same result, so I understand this could mean the reader coil is at fault.

?Any other suggestions?

I really cannot afford to call out a mobile electrician.

A further search, through Google though the answers are here, has shown that the cable 1U0971809 from the ignition switch to the ECU is the most likely culprit. I will have a look to see if it is jsut dirty, broken or a combination. 

5GBP carriage on a 6.50GBP part is disgraceful. Ordered since it is cheaper than the bus.

All 'sorted'. 

Turn on, brake pedal pushed for a count of ten, turn off. Turn on, light goes out, car starts.

?Am I likely to have this problem more regularly or is it just one of those indefinable and intermittent pains?

• Like 1

.....possibly not. A dab on the brake needed last night at 11pm too.

REally not the best time for this shenanigans, if there is ever a best time.

Just a quick one....I might be way wide of the mark here though.

But as you've mentioned having to touch the brake pedal, I wonder if the system has to see an putput from the brake pedal switch in order to work properly?

What I am gettin at here is that the brake pedal switches on these cars fail for a living, we're often having to replace them. Hence if the immobiliser uses an input from the brake pedal switch in order to function properly, then maybe if your brake pedal switch has an intermittent fault, it could be causing the immobiliser to go doolally? Stranger things have happened on these cars with their weird electrical system setups!

• Like 1

Just a quick one....I might be way wide of the mark here though.

But as you've mentioned having to touch the brake pedal, I wonder if the system has to see an putput from the brake pedal switch in order to work properly?

What I am gettin at here is that the brake pedal switches on these cars fail for a living, we're often having to replace them. Hence if the immobiliser uses an input from the brake pedal switch in order to function properly, then maybe if your brake pedal switch has an intermittent fault, it could be causing the immobiliser to go doolally? Stranger things have happened on these cars with their weird electrical system setups!

interesting idea   but having gone from regular pain(immo') via new leads to infrequent pain and just recently scanned for faults ( usual ac flaps etc) I didn't see anything for brake pedal switch--just for interest  but will try the brake trick next time

.....possibly not. A dab on the brake needed last night at 11pm too.

REally not the best time for this shenanigans, if there is ever a best time.

If you keep having trouble then a permanent fix might be needed. Either new parts or immo defeat

• 2 weeks later...

A little gap in visits at the minute, though thank you all for the replies.

@Tech1e, I have not had a scan done, skint beyond belief hence the real worry about this 'minor' fault, as long as it gets there in the end.

I said earlier that I had ordered the cable, I did not go through with it due to the workaround. I have had one other occassion since 5th July, ten days, where I needed to dab the brake. Although I am certain this blissful situation will not last.....it has so far.

• 7 months later...