Surprising Fabia after Superb

After owning a 2009 170 hp elegance Superb DSG , my fourth Skoda ,second Fabia  used to tow my caravan to southern Spain  I have finished caravanning  and did not need such a large car with a £ 400 a year  extended warranty charge  I traded in for as new 2012 se HTP 5000 recorded miles Fabia hatchback.  am surprised how much I like the car engine seem perky in town and  ok on motorways.  the good points for me no cambelt to change no turbo to burn out  I do not miss auto lights electric heated seats self park etc nice to be in manually in charge  of functions .  Feel confident  to  drive the Fabia down to  Costa del Sol next year for the summer, staying a cabin,

mainly because there is  so much less  to malfunction on the this model  !!! looking forward to happy days with my back to basics Fabia .

• Like 4

I have done a couple  of longish motorway trips  mostly around  65/ 70 and had a indicated 48mpg   sorry to be pedantic but isn't  70mph our highest national speed limit if this speed maintains a reasonable fuel consumption why exceed it for long spells . Saying that driving across Spain in the  nearly empty remote motorways it was easy to cruise at 100 / 110 mph with the Superb , which is a tad higher than the Spanish speed limit this was when I when I had stored the van in Spain

I have one and the only gripe I have with the engine is the mpg goes down the toilet if you go over 70.

• Like 1

True but who sticks to 70 on motorways nowadays? I'm getting about 40mpg overall, I suppose this might improve as the engine gets more miles on it as it has only done 6000 up to now.

True but who sticks to 70 on motorways nowadays? I'm getting about 40mpg overall, I suppose this might improve as the engine gets more miles on it as it has only done 6000 up to now.

It's against the law to break the speed limit - I am going to report your comments to the appropriate constabulary and I jolly well hope you receive your just desserts. :thumbdown: 

:D  :D  

• Like 2

It's against the law to break the speed limit - I am going to report your comments to the appropriate constabulary and I jolly well hope you receive your just desserts. :thumbdown:

:D  :D  

I can break the speed limit ;) :P

I can break the speed limit ;) :p

Above the law are we? Well I'll stick you on the list too  :D

yes :P I'm on the official government list that says I can take "exceptions" in the case of an emergancy , one of them is speed limits, so I guess I am! :P did it all last night, will be doing it again tonight lol... (in a 5 ton van) lol...

I did get breathalyzed by the cops once though at work lol..... (needless to say zero ;) )

• Like 1

I sold a yeti TDI for a fabia 1.2 , 70 bhp se ,Got a great deal ( one of the deals Skoda gave on the run- out SE model ) 5 months on and no retreats , these fabias are great cars

People seem to maybe be forgetting about the 2 different gear ratios the HTP can have.

The older ones run at 3.5k revs at 70mph, which can be a little tiresome.

The newer ones run at 3k at 70mph, 3.5k at 80mph, which makes a difference.

Ive done 200 miles in my htp today, mostly 75mph indicated on the speedo, 71-2mph on the say nav. (on the cruise control) but sometimes abit more, and yet again its returned 49.5mpg.

Its always around the same tbh. Usually just under 50mpg.

Could be more if i was the type to stick with the trucks on the inside lane like some greenline members do. But i get bored.

People seem to maybe be forgetting about the 2 different gear ratios the HTP can have.

The older ones run at 3.5k revs at 70mph, which can be a little tiresome.

The newer ones run at 3k at 70mph, 3.5k at 80mph, which makes a difference.

Ive done 200 miles in my htp today, mostly 75mph indicated on the speedo, 71-2mph on the say nav. (on the cruise control) but sometimes abit more, and yet again its returned 49.5mpg.

Its always around the same tbh. Usually just under 50mpg.

Could be more if i was the type to stick with the trucks on the inside lane like some greenline members do. But i get bored.

Good info when you say newer cars I presume my 2012  car comes into this category ? I have read this engine did have a upgrade . may be weird but I like the engine  noise when you push on . Reliably  was my main issue because of my long stay trips in Spain  I am satisfied that I have made the  right choice .  Nice to back on the forum my first Fabia  was a 07 1.9 pd  3 hatchback nice car .

Edited by mellyboy

Good info when you say newer cars I presume my 2012 car comes into this category ? I have read this engine did have a upgrade . may be weird but I like the engine noise when you push on . Reliably was my main issue because of my long stay trips in Spain I am satisfied that I have made the right choice . Nice to back on the forum my first Fabia was a 07 1.9 pd 3 hatchback nice car .

2010 along with the facelift iirc

Glad youre enjoying the car

• 2 weeks later...

I drove a monte Carlo with this engine and thought the performance was awful. Ended up buying one with the 86bhp tsi engine, whilst the power is only slightly more the torque and power delivery is far superior due to being turbocharged. Overtaking on national speed limit roads was almost impossible or dangerous as it takes so long to get upto speed. Can get high 40's out the tsi on a motorway run so economy isn't any worse.

• Like 1

I drove a monte Carlo with this engine and thought the performance was awful. Ended up buying one with the 86bhp tsi engine, whilst the power is only slightly more the torque and power delivery is far superior due to being turbocharged. Overtaking on national speed limit roads was almost impossible or dangerous as it takes so long to get upto speed. Can get high 40's out the tsi on a motorway run so economy isn't any worse.

It is what it is at the end of the day, an engine designed for town use. Gets to 30 as quick as many cars on the road but struggles a bit getting from there to 70, but then that's the same for most cars weighing a ton with only 68hp on tap.

It is what it is at the end of the day, an engine designed for town use. Gets to 30 as quick as many cars on the road but struggles a bit getting from there to 70, but then that's the same for most cars weighing a ton with only 68hp on tap.

Exactly.

You cant have everything.

3rd gear isnt bad mind. Plan ahead and you can catch a few people by surprise.

As a teaching car, my 12-valver is hard to fault. As a car in which to make ground, it's a little lacking in the 'brisk' department...

This engine is prone to burning out valve seats - just be wary

Just been to the Lake District in my 70hp HPT Fabia steep hills no problem six hour drive to destination all seemed ok to me cruising at 70 no issues overtaking on motorways indicated 52 to the gallon. I do use the roads as a way of getting to my destination safely and in a reasonable time driving within speed limits . This engine seems to able to cope with no issues. I am a 69 year old fart who has driven for only 50 years. cars, motorcycles . coaches and lorries and towed a caravan thousands of miles in Europe owing 5 Skodas on the way so what do I know.

Edited by mellyboy

As a teaching car, my 12-valver is hard to fault. As a car in which to make ground, it's a little lacking in the 'brisk' department...

Yeah its not quick

But does anyone buy a 70bhp car and expect it to be quick?

It is what it is (: