So long, farewell, auf widersehen, goodbye

domhnall

Half an hour left of my Yeti ownership. I'm sure I'll still dip in here now and then though. Have fun with your yetis, it's what they're made for  :D

• Like 2

You've actually moved from the cellar to the Top Floor    :yes:    Good choice 

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but isn't the usual arrangement that fine wines are kept in the cellar and the staff canteen is on the top floor?   :yes:

Enjoy the new motor Domhnall and you know the Yeti forum likes to have old friends drop by.

• Like 4

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but isn't the usual arrangement that fine wines are kept in the cellar and the staff canteen is on the top floor?   :yes:

Enjoy the new motor Domhnall and you know the Yeti forum likes to have old friends drop by.

I've never particularly confined myself to any model section, I just read the forum using the new content feature and post wherever there is something of interest. 

First proper drive of the new car was along the M8 to Glasgow and back. I always thought the yeti's 1.2 was a great engine but the extra 45 bhp in the 1.4 makes for a much more relaxed drive, and better fuel economy too due I suspect to the better aerodynamics of the Octavia. The new MIB2 unit certainly seemed to give better sound than the bolero on the yeti, I suspect it is down to the speaker set up because even the bluetooth audio was noticeably clearer. Not to say the yeti was bad, far from it, but I received a call and the call audio quality was markedly clearer.

The real revelation though was adaptive cruise control, it works really well and makes for a much more relaxing drive.   At one point I'd managed to knock the speed up to 75 (I'd been trying to indicate but clobbered the ACC stalk) but the car was sitting at 50 due to a slow moving dacia in front. Then the M8 broadened out to three lanes and the Dacia moved to the right to occupy the middle lane. The Octavia spotted that the road was clear and promptly accelerated to 75 mph and undertook the dacia. I was still trying to figure the system out so by the time I worked out what was going on it was too late to avoid undertaking. I'd forgotten that as well as slowing down to accommodate slower traffic it would also speed up once it clears. I'll have to be more careful with that.

Android auto works well but my phones seem a bit temperamental in connecting, might have to read the manual!! 

I'm sure a MY16 yeti would also have many similar improvements over my old one, it's just amazing to see the progress made in just 4 years.

.....and there I was thinking only dozy Aussies can't keep to the left doing 50/80 in a 70/112 zone.

nope plenty here too. He was quite happy in lane 1 when there were just two lanes, but as soon as he had three to choose from he indicated and pulled into the middle one and sat there at 50. NOt sure who was more astonished, me at my car going for it when it saw a gap or him finding a Skoda zooming past on his nearside  :notme:

nope plenty here too. He was quite happy in lane 1 when there were just two lanes, but as soon as he had three to choose from he indicated and pulled into the middle one and sat there at 50. NOt sure who was more astonished, me at my car going for it when it saw a gap or him finding a Skoda zooming past on his nearside  :notme:

What age was he? If he's around my age (77) then he was driving before motorways. We were taught that when driving on THE motorway (only the M1 in those days) the inside lane was the slow lane, the middle the fast lane and the outside lane only to be used for overtaking. Mind you only about 1 home in 20 had a car and all freight went by rail! Happy days.

Fred

• Like 1

What age was he? If he's around my age (77) then he was driving before motorways. We were taught that when driving on THE motorway (only the M1 in those days) the inside lane was the slow lane, the middle the fast lane and the outside lane only to be used for overtaking. Mind you only about 1 home in 20 had a car and all freight went by rail! Happy days.

Fred

no idea but at 50 mph he wasn't fast

• Like 1

Despite the (alleged) ability of police to pull in drivers who hog the middle lane while driving at 50-60 mph when lane 1 is empty, I find myself having to undertake such people more and more these days.  I find it's a particular issue where there are 4 or more lanes, when lane 1 is almost always empty.  Do some drivers feel it's a threat to their masculinity to be seen in lane 1?

Out here we get signs saying "left lane ceases, merge right" which annoys me as I consider 1/ it penalises those who keep left. 2/ it encourages 'bullying' from behind in a merging situation and 3/ it raises the question as to how the 'curb side' lane can "end".

No wonder people won't drive in the left lane - force the outside lane hogs to to fret about the merge coming up.

• Like 1