The 280PS Thread

18 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Agreed; the journey is also less 'stressful' when you just sit back not having to worry about camera vans, stealth speed cameras,  etc.

Also, less basic model Audis and BMWs that can only drive at 90 with no indicators lol. 

• Haha 1

For five years I have been travelling weekly to see my father (who has just passed away three weeks short of 101) from Lymington to Beckton, East London via M3 and A406 , 270 miles round trip. I have tried every combination of fuel, mode, driving style. In the end it all came down to keeping to the speed limits and using the car's tech judiciously to achieve 35 - 37 mpg. It took me a little while to realise how much actual braking was going on with the Adaptive Cruise Control, and the consequent negative effect on my consumption.

Its all now academic as I've returned to  caravanning after 45 years and get 22 - 24 mpg whilst towing - c'est la vie.

This is my third Superb and undoubtedly the best car I've had (previously had MG, Ford, Lada, Vauxhall x 2, Rover,  Alfa Giulietta, Saab x 3, Volvo, Opel Senator x 2, BMW x 2 including 730 & 525X, Toyota x 3)

3 hours ago, DBT85 said:

Managed 39mpg. 8 minutes longer drive time from my usual where I put  it at 75 and get between 32mpg and 34mpg.

So it can do it if you really need to.

I still find those figures rather surprising, never mind the gentle driving. The best I've ever seen is 35, and 'normal best' is at or near 32, while high 20s is more typical. I do high mileage.

36 minutes ago, eurotraveller said:

I still find those figures rather surprising, never mind the gentle driving. The best I've ever seen is 35, and 'normal best' is at or near 32, while high 20s is more typical. I do high mileage.

Do remember that I was on the motorway inside 2 mile from work, then its about 80 miles of motorway going the opposite way to all the traffic, then 35 miles of a/b roads at 50 or 60. The last traffic light I saw was as I came off the m40, the one before that, just before I got on to the M4. 

My average over a tank after 2000 miles is about 32mpg and that's mostly motorway. 

On 3/3/2018 at 15:28, foofaroo said:

Hi All

im continuing my search for a 280 L&K estate. Nothing on Autotrader quite right or right price. Phoned a garage earlier who have a 2016 280 L&K coming in around 8 weeks (customer part exchange - said customer is buying the same again plus towbar), when they inspected it had done 14k miles. It’s in grey and has a sunroof. They are asking £24k - what do you guys think on price? Is there anything different about a 2016 vehicle? Really value your thoughts.

cheers

nick

There's a nice looking L&K estate for sale at All Electric Skoda (Birmingham Suburbs), some nice options including paddles.

It's still too big for my garage though, so I've just put a holding deposit on a '17 place Golf R estate instead..............

HTH, DC.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

There's a nice looking L&K estate for sale at All Electric Skoda (Birmingham Suburbs), some nice options including paddles.

It's still too big for my garage though, so I've just put a holding deposit on a '17 place Golf R estate instead..............

HTH, DC.

Finally!  What colour?  Good spec?  Got a link? 

I really like the Golf R's but I wasn't allowed one as they are prone to theft around these parts (and the S3) and as we know people who've been burgled twice for car keys, my wife point blank refused to entertain having one on the drive.  

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

Finally!  What colour?  Good spec?  Got a link? 

I really like the Golf R's but I wasn't allowed one as they are prone to theft around these parts (and the S3) and as we know people who've been burgled twice for car keys, my wife point blank refused to entertain having one on the drive.  

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712031772190?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

It's Magnetic Brown, & being the dealer principles steed, the spec does seem to be good.

I'd not want to be complacent but we don't seem to have many car thefts here.

There some posh cars left on drives or in the road at night, but we  always park in the garage (& hide the keys too, ) but since our

cars aren't usually visible we hope that we won't be targeted. 

I don't think that there's much of a demand for old Eos's so that lives outside when it's here, & who'd ever steal an old Superb? 

DC

1 hour ago, old newbie2 said:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712031772190?logcode=visc&fromSA=true

It's Magnetic Brown, & being the dealer principles steed, the spec does seem to be good.

I'd not want to be complacent but we don't seem to have many car thefts here.

There some posh cars left on drives or in the road at night, but we  always park in the garage (& hide the keys too, ) but since our

cars aren't usually visible we hope that we won't be targeted. 

I don't think that there's much of a demand for old Eos's so that lives outside when it's here, & who'd ever steal an old Superb? 

DC

:biggrin: I actually meant colour, spec, link for the Golf R you’ve put a deposit on 

4 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

HTH, DC.

Another Golf R Estate David? :biggrin:

I recently toyed with idea of downsizing to Golf R for more fun. Went to local dealer who were advertising the usual Jan/Feb 'invitation-only, extra special, hottest ever offers' (which, surprise, surpise, turned out to be the usual 7.5%) to take a closer look.

As I'm hooked on my Superb's top spec, I configured the Golf to match: somewhere around £46k ! (ok, list price, but still). I then had a look at one and thought no way is that enough car for anything like that kind of money.

I was quickly cured of the itch. I would recommend this remedy to anyone.

PS: Dealer had an R on the forecourt, which the salesman claimed was “loaded”. We opened the door and I immediately asked: “so where are the power/memory seat controls?” And on and on it went. VW Group ‘value’ outside the Skoda brand is a joke.

Edited by eurotraveller
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eurotraveller said:

I recently toyed with idea of downsizing to Golf R for more fun. Went to local dealer who were advertising the usual Jan/Feb 'invitation-only, extra special, hottest ever offers' (which, surprise, surpise, turned out to be the usual 7.5%) to take a closer look.

As I'm hooked on my Superb's top spec, I configured the Golf to match: somewhere around £46k ! (ok, list price, but still). I then had a look at one and thought no way is that enough car for anything like that kind of money.

PS: Dealer had an R on the forecourt, which the salesman claimed was “loaded”. We opened the door and I immediately asked: “so where are the power/memory seat controls?” And on and on it went. VW Group ‘value’ outside the Skoda brand is a joke.

To be fair, you try spec'ing an Octavia vRS to the same standard as a Superb Sportline and watch how quickly the 'affordable' hot hatch becomes quite expensive 

Agree on the Golf R; the good thing is for the used market is that a lot of lease deals were floating around a 2-3 years ago which made the Golf R cheaper to lease than the GTi.  Now these lease deals have ended there's a healthy used stock of Golf R's on the forecourts with the bulk of depreciation taken by the lease company.  However, finding one with a half decent spec is the issue, as you say @eurotraveller

The Golf R is a lot of performance for the money, but not a lot of car (hoping that makes sense). 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, eurotraveller said:

I too considered a Golf R, but didn't need to drive it. Just sitting in it was enough to know that it wasn't a patch on the Superb. I still get alerts off the likes of Autotrader for used Golfs and they're always low equipment spec. You're lucky to get a steering wheel.

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2018 at 11:36, penguin17 said:

To be fair, you try spec'ing an Octavia vRS to the same standard as a Superb Sportline and watch how quickly the 'affordable' hot hatch becomes quite expensive 

Agree on the Golf R; the good thing is for the used market is that a lot of lease deals were floating around a 2-3 years ago which made the Golf R cheaper to lease than the GTi.  Now these lease deals have ended there's a healthy used stock of Golf R's on the forecourts with the bulk of depreciation taken by the lease company.  However, finding one with a half decent spec is the issue, as you say @eurotraveller

The Golf R is a lot of performance for the money, but not a lot of car (hoping that makes sense). 

There are times when "not a lot of car" is a good thing, easier to park, & to thread through traffic.

A Superb 280 is  probably better value to when purchasing, but  as for the whole-life cost I'm not so sure.

Having driven my Superb Mk2, & Eos,  a &  Mk 7.5 Golf R yesterday, there's not much difference in space / comfort in the front seats but it's a little different in the back.....

As for used car specs, early Golf R's are indeed a bit sparse. SWMBO's car had £8,160's worth of options to bring it to the level she / we wanted, but with a £9K discount + my £1K loyalty bonus from VW, we were quite happy with the final invoice price. 

Yesterday's R estate is probably not for me, it's White & IMVHO it doesn't suit the car at all, but it's quite well equipped, DCC,  Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Kessy & Climate Windscreen.

Q. If any of you were in the market for a 2.0 TSi Tiguan with DCC, would you be happy with a decent spec / price but wearing Orange paint?

It's in Lowestoft & it's affordable, but I'm wondering if choosing that colour could be an expansive mistake.

DC

5 hours ago, YTT said:

I too considered a Golf R, but didn't need to drive it. Just sitting in it was enough to know that it wasn't a patch on the Superb. I still get alerts off the likes of Autotrader for used Golfs and they're always low equipment spec. You're lucky to get a steering wheel.

Not all of their used R's are low-spec, '66 plate (ish) & onwards all have Discover Nav,  ACC & heated front seats. DCC is hard to find though.

If you want a proper VW  v Superb comparison,  then the Passat is the obvious choice, especially in estate form & now with a decent choice of petrol engines. 

At least if you choose DSG you get paddles without having to specify them......

DC

Robinsons VW?  Habanero Orange? 

I like that colour, I actually like it on the Tiguan too BUT I think it would suite the R-Line spec more.  It doesn't work for me, with the black mouldings/scuff guards around the bottoms of the doors/bumper.  All subjective and personal taste of course. 

Like you said about the Golf R, white doesn't suit all cars but I actually like it on the Tiguan.  You not fancy the white R-Line that Robinsons have in stock? 

On 3/6/2018 at 10:09, eurotraveller said:

FWIW, JCB in Gillingham have a Tornado Red 5 door hatch in their showroom, mit leather + drivers electric memory seat.......

DC

On 3/5/2018 at 18:13, Prykey said:

Another Golf R Estate David? :biggrin:

Hi John.

Maybe, watch this space......

It might not make sense (even to me) to have two very similar cars, but things have changed, Valerie's car is now hers, not ours, so an affordable Golf R for myself is a possibility , but not a hatch, the boot is just too small.

As you know we still like the old Superb & can't bear to part with it, so I can happily live with a smaller car as my daily driver. 

I've used the Eos much of last year, but as much as I like it, the doors are quite long & a PITA in my garage or the average car-park.

I've had a couple of test drives in Atecas, the 1.4 TSi felt nippy & fun to scoot around in, but the 2.0 TSi AWD was quite impressive.

190 ps @ 4200 rpm isn't much, but it seems to be a deliberate eco limitation, the power & torque curves seem to be very similar to

other small-turbo 2.0 TSi's until they reach their quoted limits. If it is just a software issue, maybe a decent tuner could find a little more oomph?

(The same engine in an Audi A4 offers 190 ps or 252ps...........) 

Now if I knew what the Cupa Ateca will cost  in the UK I just might leave the money in the back, a 300 ps AWD SUV with decent brakes & suspension + a very low-key paint colour, (I.E. Metallic Grey...) just might be a useful fun car. 

Cheers, DC

• Like 1

6 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

Hi John.

Maybe, watch this space......

It might not make sense (even to me) to have two very similar cars, but things have changed, Valerie's car is now hers, not ours, so an affordable Golf R for myself is a possibility , but not a hatch, the boot is just too small.

As you know we still like the old Superb & can't bear to part with it, so I can happily live with a smaller car as my daily driver. 

I've used the Eos much of last year, but as much as I like it, the doors are quite long & a PITA in my garage or the average car-park.

I've had a couple of test drives in Atecas, the 1.4 TSi felt nippy & fun to scoot around in, but the 2.0 TSi AWD was quite impressive.

190 ps @ 4200 rpm isn't much, but it seems to be a deliberate eco limitation, the power & torque curves seem to be very similar to

other small-turbo 2.0 TSi's until they reach their quoted limits. If it is just a software issue, maybe a decent tuner could find a little more oomph?

(The same engine in an Audi A4 offers 190 ps or 252ps...........) 

Now if I knew what the Cupa Ateca will cost  in the UK I just might leave the money in the back, a 300 ps AWD SUV with decent brakes & suspension + a very low-key paint colour, (I.E. Metallic Grey...) just might be a useful fun car. 

Cheers, DC

Hi David,

You'll have to keep me posted :) 

A Cupa Ateca would be mental!

37 minutes ago, Prykey said:

Hi David,

You'll have to keep me posted :) 

A Cupa Ateca would be mental!

Autocar online posted (?) quite a lot of detail re. the Cupra brand launch, including some technical info re the Cupra Ateca.

DC

Anyone thinking of selling their 280 estate in the next 18 months please bear me in mind.

Mine will be going in March/April '19 when the lease runs out. Will try to remember!

12 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

Autocar online posted (?) quite a lot of detail re. the Cupra brand launch, including some technical info re the Cupra Ateca.

DC

Auto Express (Special Issue No. 1513 in the shops now) has a write up on the Cupra Ateca, figures are 0-62 in 5.4 seconds and a top speed of 152mph! 

It will launch Cupra as a stand alone brand similar to Abarth, SEAT Sport will be responsible for the Cupra brand, prices are expected to be in the £35k - £40k ball park.