The 280PS Thread

1 hour ago, eurotraveller said:

surely also just be due to new vs. well worn. I’m sure that, like me, you will have felt major ride-quality improvement just from switching from worn to new of the same tyre.

The flaw is that you've assumed my P7 were well worn and that I'm referring to the experience of brand new tyres (probably implied by my use of the word "recently", but tempus fugit).

I'm also running the CC+ at the same P7 'eco' tyre pressure (for speed, not economy).

It was actually a few months ago when the P7 still had 5.5 mm tread all round that I finally bit the bullet and decided to discard a perfectly serviceable ("good" would be inappropriate) set of tyres purely on the grounds of excessive road noise.

Whilst impressed from the outset I deliberately withheld making any comment about the CC+ because of the fact that they were new. Only now that they're 'worn in' did I feel comfortable to make a considered comparative assessment so I stand by my original comment; They've made a significant and unexpected improvement to the overall ride quality (and they're also much quieter).

I have cheap but effective Syron Everest 1 Y rated 18" winter tyres (retired) and they didn't make any discernible difference at all to the ride quality yet even they were considerably more quiet than the P7.

I'm making the assumption that Škoda opted for the harder compound low rolling resistance eco tyres to help attain Euro 6 emission standards but in almost all other respects it is far removed from being the ideal tyre, certainly for the 280.

23 hours ago, indyjukebox said:

Interesting. AT suggested 23000 for my year old 280. That is 12k gone in a year. Not pretty at all.

I just took a quick look at Autotrader. Cheapest year-old 280 is a Sportline at £24500 and it doesn't look like it's got many options.

1 hour ago, YTT said:

I just took a quick look at Autotrader. Cheapest year-old 280 is a Sportline at £24500 and it doesn't look like it's got many options.

We just sold the wife's 280. Year old, 12k miles. Listed at £22k. Not a single phone call. Eventually sold to a dealer for less that 22k. What is advertised on AT and what you can achieve are usually wildly different. I speak from bitter experience.

Edited by indyjukebox
Add on

On 04/12/2017 at 23:00, cyberkank said:

Just curiousity.

Looking at some of the quarter mile time. It suggests the Skoda 280 is around mid 13s and a stock Mitsubishi Evo is around mid 13s. Is the Evo really that much faster? Although I would imagine to get the mid 13s the Skoda will need to use the Launch control where as the Evo doesn't have that function. It maybe closer than you think.

No doubt the Mitsubishi Evo is definitely going to be faster around corners.

There are a few topics on this specific thread.

1) Tyre noise - thanks for all the advice.  Will look carefully when I decide to renew.

2) Depreciation - I have a 64 plate Jag Sportbrake 3.0S Diesel that cost me 30k 12 months ago (about £44k new).  I will be lucky to get 20k for it.  Apparently the XF has the best residuals of any Jag and for mine that is about 45% over 3 years, which I think is reasonable. I am not expecting the 280PS to get anywhere close to that.  But, compare the cost of a new Sportbtake with a similar spec to the 280 and the difference in quids is eye watering.  I paid £37k (discounted at about 13%) for the LnK 280 - the equivalent Jag model is about £25k more and in my opinion the 280 (not run in yet) is a better car altho does not look as good.

3) Consumption - I have been getting low twenties and decided to use ECO mode to see the difference.  Taking it very easy with a 60/40 split motorway/city roads I managed to average above 30.  Very impressive when you consider the best average from the diesel Jag is 35mpg.

4) New topic.  The paintwork on the Jag XE I have just sold this morning is abysmal. You had to approach it very carefully with a micro cloth - within ten paces and minor scratches started to appear.  Threaten it with a hoover and gouges requiring the skills of a Salvador Dali appeared and it was not wise to take it out on the road as you not only got chips you were also battered (sorry about that) by road rash along the sills.  Up to now the 280 seems a little more resilient.

Just had my new 280 L&K estate delivered, it looks great in moon white with the anthracite wheels

After driving 190bhp VW group diesels for the last 10 years this engine is amazing and makes a lovely noise, it really has some push when you want it too.  Only drive it for 10 mins as I was dropping the delivery guys back to the station and putting some Vpower in as I have a shell garage round the corner.

Always run the diesel equivialent and it always made the engine feel smoother, I will carry on this tradition with the petrol. Will get some pics up when I get a chance.

Heated steering wheel is nice on this good day also :biggrin:

11 hours ago, indyjukebox said:

We just sold the wife's 280. Year old, 12k miles. Listed at £22k. Not a single phone call. Eventually sold to a dealer for less that 22k. What is advertised on AT and what you can achieve are usually wildly different. I speak from bitter experience.

That sucks. Mind you, I had the same when I sold my Audi TTRS in October. There didn't seem to be a lot of activity out there in the car buying market. Every single person that did show any interest just hammered the price - there literally was no other criteria. I suspect anyone selling an Audi / BMW / Mercedes also experienced poor sale prices / high depreciation. I advertised on eBay and Pistonheads. Not a single enquiry via the latter. I don't advertise on Autotrader anymore, as I've always had a poor response. It seems to be more of a shop window for dealers. eBay attracts more interest, although be prepared for a lot of time wasters trying it on.

The cheapest 280 I saw was just over a year old for just under £23k (SE L spec with no extras) but most have been well above this which was one of the reasons I went new in the end (with a good discount) since the difference in price considering you had a car that was a year newer did not seem to warrant going nearly new especially since I intend to keep the car long term (7 to 8 years) so a year newer means it is longer before I have to replace . I do appreciate there is a big difference to what a dealer will offer to buy one and what they will offer as a sale price.

3 hours ago, Sw1 said:

Just had my new 280 L&K estate delivered, it looks great in moon white with the anthracite wheels

After driving 190bhp VW group diesels for the last 10 years this engine is amazing and makes a lovely noise, it really has some push when you want it too.  Only drive it for 10 mins as I was dropping the delivery guys back to the station and putting some Vpower in as I have a shell garage round the corner.

Always run the diesel equivialent and it always made the engine feel smoother, I will carry on this tradition with the petrol. Will get some pics up when I get a chance.

Heated steering wheel is nice on this good day also :biggrin:

Managed to get a slightly better picture , looking forward to having a go again later

MVIMG_20171208_143220.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YTT said:

That sucks. Mind you, I had the same when I sold my Audi TTRS in October. There didn't seem to be a lot of activity out there in the car buying market. Every single person that did show any interest just hammered the price - there literally was no other criteria. I suspect anyone selling an Audi / BMW / Mercedes also experienced poor sale prices / high depreciation. I advertised on eBay and Pistonheads. Not a single enquiry via the latter. I don't advertise on Autotrader anymore, as I've always had a poor response. It seems to be more of a shop window for dealers. eBay attracts more interest, although be prepared for a lot of time wasters trying it on.

Yes, chap who bought it from my wife has it back up for sale at £25k. I suppose he will probably sell it for 24k+ and make a tidy profit. In line with Autotrader's unrealistic valuations. It is interesting that even on 1 and 2 year old cars; people still want to buy from a dealer expecting some sort of magical warranty or peace of mind.

I think I am done with buying for the near future, unless I plan to keep it for a very long time and hence absorb the cost price in almost its entirety. Leasing seems to be the way forward, especially if you are the type that likes a new car every few years. No worries about road tax, resale values etc.

Overall i still think it is a great car with enormous amounts of room, acceptable compromises and a feel good factor. I just think the purchase price has slowly climbed to an unacceptably high point without any associated climb in residual values.

2 hours ago, indyjukebox said:

Yes, chap who bought it from my wife has it back up for sale at £25k. I suppose he will probably sell it for 24k+ and make a tidy profit. In line with Autotrader's unrealistic valuations. It is interesting that even on 1 and 2 year old cars; people still want to buy from a dealer expecting some sort of magical warranty or peace of mind.

I think I am done with buying for the near future, unless I plan to keep it for a very long time and hence absorb the cost price in almost its entirety. Leasing seems to be the way forward, especially if you are the type that likes a new car every few years. No worries about road tax, resale values etc.

Overall i still think it is a great car with enormous amounts of room, acceptable compromises and a feel good factor. I just think the purchase price has slowly climbed to an unacceptably high point without any associated climb in residual values.

Agree with dealer comments. In my experience, buying used from a dealer is no better in any way than buying privately. Buying new is the only way to have some measure of support. I’ve looked at leasing, PCP etc, but it doesn’t matter how I do the sums, it always works out more expensive overall and comes with limitations. When you buy, you have the stark shock of depreciation when you sell. With leasing, it costs more, but the expense is spread out, giving a perception of being cheaper. There’s a whole world of finance out there that depends on that perception! Although I appreciate that not everyone can stump up the full buy price up front.

Just now, YTT said:

Agree with dealer comments. In my experience, buying used from a dealer is no better in any way than buying privately. Buying new is the only way to have some measure of support. I’ve looked at leasing, PCP etc, but it doesn’t matter how I do the sums, it always works out more expensive overall and comes with limitations. When you buy, you have the stark shock of depreciation when you sell. With leasing, it costs more, but the expense is spread out, giving a perception of being cheaper. There’s a whole world of finance out there that depends on that perception! Although I appreciate that not everyone can stump up the full buy price up front.

Not sure about leasing being expensive, especially if you choose wisely. Wife's new car is a lease. 40k RRP. Total cost over 2 years inc a 15k mileage allowance is 8k. Tax is high due to being a high CO2 petrol with a decent amount of power. But then I dont pay that, the lease company does.

8k over 2 years in depreciation on a 40k car is exceptionally good as it represents a 20% loss in value. Yes you dont keep the car. But if she changed cars every 2 years for 10 years with that sort of a deal as a target, then she spends 40k in total. Which would be equivalent to the cost of buying the same car and letting it run into the ground over a 10 year window. But with the advantage that she is in a new car every 2 years, break down cover provided throughout for free, no tax to pay and all the benefits that come from owning a newish car. None of the repairs associated with older cars either.

We didnt have to look for too long to locate this deal either. In fact there was a nice choice of cars at that price point and similar overall costs. She just chose what she has now based on what she fancied for the next 2 years.

Since you mention tax is that a company car deal? Could be different for a private lease.

In the end leasing and PCP etc. In general will cost more since you have to pay the depreciation on the car and a fee for the finance. There are occasionally good deals if a company wants to shift a certain model but then a good discount on the purchase price would be likely too. For example when my wife had her Nissan leaf what it cost us over the 2 years was less than the depreciation by a long way. However when we looked at a new deal they had doubled in price. No company can continue to offer lease or PCP deals that do not cover depreciation.

1 hour ago, indyjukebox said:

Not sure about leasing being expensive, especially if you choose wisely. Wife's new car is a lease. 40k RRP. Total cost over 2 years inc a 15k mileage allowance is 8k. Tax is high due to being a high CO2 petrol with a decent amount of power. But then I dont pay that, the lease company does.

8k over 2 years in depreciation on a 40k car is exceptionally good as it represents a 20% loss in value. Yes you dont keep the car. But if she changed cars every 2 years for 10 years with that sort of a deal as a target, then she spends 40k in total. Which would be equivalent to the cost of buying the same car and letting it run into the ground over a 10 year window. But with the advantage that she is in a new car every 2 years, break down cover provided throughout for free, no tax to pay and all the benefits that come from owning a newish car. None of the repairs associated with older cars either.

We didnt have to look for too long to locate this deal either. In fact there was a nice choice of cars at that price point and similar overall costs. She just chose what she has now based on what she fancied for the next 2 years.

I had a rummage around trying to find the spreadsheets I did working out all the costs of leasing / PCP deals I've been offered over the last few years, but couldn't find them, which is a shame. But I do recall that when everything was taken account of, both for buying and leasing, buying always came out on top.

Not so long ago, the norm was to buy and sell your car privately. Or it was for poor people like me. Buying from a dealer was upmarket! Now, it seems people feel more comfortable buying from dealers and usually part-exchange their current car. Which is all very cosy.

As far as possible, I still do it the hard way! I had to buy from a dealer, because I wanted new with a long warranty this time. But I went with one that was a long distance away, because they had the best deal. I was lucky enough to have an old diesel to put in as scrappage, which I had to drive that long distance when I collected the new car. It only just made it! Then I sold my existing car privately, which was a ball-ache, but got me £3200 more than the best part-exchange / We Buy Any Car deal I was offered. Net result was being better off by about £9k compared to buying at prices I've seen people mention on here, part exchanging their existing car and without scrappage. That's a big number for a bit of effort. Although I did get fed up with the avalanche of eBay EMails saying 'what's your best price mate'.

Edited by YTT

I have to say that my 280 L&K Estate had been"Superb" in the snow and ice. When I bought it as an ex demo12 months ago the supplying dealer supplied an additional set of 18" inch alloys with Pirelli Sottozero winter tyres at a good price to cement the deal.

Living in the Chilterns we got about 5 inches of snow which has now turned to sheet ice on the untreated minor roads and lanes.

The 280 has no problem with traction and braking is very good. 

It makes the perfect winter car, although if the snow were much deeper a Range Rover might be the better choice as the Skoda is not far of beaching on raised ridges of snow in the middle of some of the narrow country lanes.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a new one not everyone may have seen:

https://www.parkers.co.uk/skoda/superb/estate-2015/long-term-reviews/skoda-superb-sportline-estate-20-tsi-4x4-dsg/

He sort of gets the stealth-appeal. And yes, the car's capability on the autobahn is something every owner should experience at least once.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, superbtte said:

Need a big favor, can you take a photo of the fuses behind the glove compartment for me. Something like the attached picture please. 

Posted in your other thread (unlinked) but just in case...

ACBC627D-31F7-4AE2-AB9A-8BA0A1142FA8.thumb.jpeg.b2fc452eac2c4fb688f48a578efb39cc.jpeg

MY16 L&K 280 hatch with most UK options (at that time) but no tow bar.

I appear to have three additional fuses.

Edited by BillyJim

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Nick.

I think the only thing missing on the one I've seen is paddles. I'm sure its a pain and expensive to add as a retrofit :(

listed at 33.5k, many options so list price is 43k were I buying it new, or 34.5k elsewhere. got 6,000 miles on it though.

Edited by DBT85

So I bought it. Did all the stuff, got a PX I was happy with (was expecting a lowball). Finish up and pay, do the last bit of paperwork. All set to leave.

Then the guy who helped out my assistant with the sale comes back and goes,"Oh by the way, that car has a *mumbles*box on it". I said "Pardon?". He says "Yeah its got the box in it that makes it go 350hp, the MD (whos demo car I bought) likes them so got it added".

No idea what box, who makes it or what its actually pushing. But yay. 

Now I need to do some research on VDCS and adding paddles should I go that route. Also, whos box is it, what does it do and will I be able to drive past a petrol station. ha.

Edited by DBT85
  • Like 1