The 280PS Thread

1 minute ago, Skoda4x4man said:

Are there any issues with the 280 ?

Yes. Surprise and extreme jealousy from other road users. 

• Haha 3

On 29/12/2017 at 12:59, eurotraveller said:

Here's a new one not everyone may have seen:

https://www.parkers.co.uk/skoda/superb/estate-2015/long-term-reviews/skoda-superb-sportline-estate-20-tsi-4x4-dsg/

He sort of gets the stealth-appeal. And yes, the car's capability on the autobahn is something every owner should experience at least once.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802183836684

The long-term test car is now for sale!

2 hours ago, penguin17 said:

That most certainly has never been abused.  :wondering:

Tongue in cheek, methinks........

Too expensive for what it is, no heated seats or seat-back release & a pig to keep clean.

8 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Do any of you have the side sensors as well? Just a personal view but I've found they actually detract from the front and back sensors (which I love) as they are just too sensitive and tend to shout all over the front and back ones when getting into a narrower space or going around a tighter corner (eg multi-storey car park).

I totally agree with you. I had a VW golf on hire and parking in the underground hotel car park was a nightmare! Cacophony of sound and you hadn't got a clue where exactly you were too close.

11 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

Tongue in cheek, methinks........

Too expensive for what it is, no heated seats or seat-back release & a pig to keep clean.

Firmly! 

Agreed on the spec. Pretty tight for a press car. 

36 minutes ago, facet edge said:

I totally agree with you. I had a VW golf on hire and parking in the underground hotel car park was a nightmare! Cacophony of sound and you hadn't got a clue where exactly you were too close.

Surely when a sensor beeps you look at the infotainment screen to see which one it is?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Surely when a sensor beeps you look at the infotainment screen to see which one it is?

I remember that at one point it said I was too close at the front offside, the front and the rear nearside :biggrin:

Edited by facet edge

1 hour ago, facet edge said:

I remember that at one point it said I was too close at the front offside, the front and the rear nearside :biggrin:

Exactly this:sadsmile:.

I’m not going near my car over the weekend (2WD, summer tyres and a complete lack of talent or experience is not a winning combination) but will try to get some pics or video to demonstrate. Will put it in a separate thread so I don't derail this excellent (envy-inducing) gem.

Provided I can get my car in (snow may stop me), it's getting its full new car detail and ceramic coat on Monday. Getting all the wheels done too while its there. Going to run me £950 but considering the 18-20k miles I do a year it seems to make sense to protect it a bit. The detailer will have a good job ahead of him as with all this snow and slush the car is in a right state after doing 450 miles in it.

15 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Do any of you have the side sensors as well? Just a personal view but I've found they actually detract from the front and back sensors (which I love) as they are just too sensitive and tend to shout all over the front and back ones when getting into a narrower space or going around a tighter corner (eg multi-storey car park).

Not had the problem myself really. They are a bit twitchy if you're going through a width restriction sometimes, but I'm only usually going through them at such a low speed for the sensors to activate if some berk is in front of me trying to get their OG Mini through a 6'6" at 3mph.

Side sensors are nice as they lead to self parking lol. Used it quite a few times outside my mum and dads place as it's now the only place I go where I have to parallel park and at times there is very limited space. The car can much more easily determine a large enough gap than I can and it nails it every time. Also, it freaks people out.

Android Auto

Not sure about the rest of you, but I use Waze and Spotify all the time in the car and as I mentioned I'm in the car a lot. So I've been using Android Auto. I have the nice 9.2" screen which is very sharp for the crap (by comparison) inbuilt sat nav, but it made Waze or Google Maps look a bit naff as it was a much lower resolution.

Well I just found out that you can enable 720 or even 1080 output from your phone for android auto in the developer settings. Much better. Less soft looking and no jaggies.

Edited by DBT85

Had an interesting moment today.  A large plastic bag was blowing about in the road and I drove over it. The car slammed the brakes on with all the alarms and flashing lights on the dashboard. It then released them almost as quickly,  I can only think the bag must have blown up over the sensor. Luckily the was no-one behind me. I know if I had been rear ended it would have been their fault but you still have all the hassle of getting it sorted out.

Hi All

im continuing my search for a 280 L&K estate. Nothing on Autotrader quite right or right price. Phoned a garage earlier who have a 2016 280 L&K coming in around 8 weeks (customer part exchange - said customer is buying the same again plus towbar), when they inspected it had done 14k miles. It’s in grey and has a sunroof. They are asking £24k - what do you guys think on price? Is there anything different about a 2016 vehicle? Really value your thoughts.

cheers

nick

On 3/2/2018 at 13:50, jordy_wd said:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802183836684

The long-term test car is now for sale!

I'm glad I've spotted this - I've been looking at 280s as a potential change from my Yeti and this one in Simpsons (who supplied the Yeti) looked like it might be a reasonable option, though black wouldn't be my first choice!

1 hour ago, foofaroo said:

Hi All

im continuing my search for a 280 L&K estate. Nothing on Autotrader quite right or right price. Phoned a garage earlier who have a 2016 280 L&K coming in around 8 weeks (customer part exchange - said customer is buying the same again plus towbar), when they inspected it had done 14k miles. It’s in grey and has a sunroof. They are asking £24k - what do you guys think on price? Is there anything different about a 2016 vehicle? Really value your thoughts.

cheers

nick

Seems a lot for a nearly 2 year old car. You can buy new for only a few thousand more.

3 hours ago, foofaroo said:

Hi All

cheers

nick

For what its worth Nick, my 4 month old 280 L&K Estate with just 3k on it was £33500 when I bought it at the end of January. That was a very high spec though with the only thing not on it being the paddles and a towbar really. Had the sunroof, heated wheel, and all the other addons.

So yours would be £10k less for a car 18 months older and with 10k more miles. 

Don't forget, they are probably only giving that buy 18 or 19k if that for his car.

On 03 March 2018 at 00:43, DBT85 said:

Provided I can get my car in (snow may stop me)

Took the opportunity to check out the 4x4 in the heavy snow we had round here in the last few days. Very impressive. Found grip, kept on the straight and narrow. I was the only one who made it in to work on Friday (not sure that's a great advantage).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, YTT said:

Took the opportunity to check out the 4x4 in the heavy snow we had round here in the last few days. Very impressive. Found grip, kept on the straight and narrow. I was the only one who made it in to work on Friday (not sure that's a great advantage).

Yeah mine was ok too, tho I'm a heathen in these parts and don't buy winter tyres.

I actually meant more for the wife who'll need to follow me to the detailer in her Beetle!

Little experiment for my own interest this morning. 

Drove from Heathrow to my house in Worcester at the end of my shift. 113 miles. Put on the cruise at 64 mph on the M4/25/40. 

Managed 39mpg. 8 minutes longer drive time from my usual where I put  it at 75 and get between 32mpg and 34mpg.

So it can do it if you really need to.

1 minute ago, DBT85 said:

Little experiment for my own interest this morning. 

Drove from Heathrow to my house in Worcester at the end of my shift. 113 miles. Put on the cruise at 64 mph on the M4/25/40. 

Managed 39mpg. 8 minutes longer drive time from my usual where I put  it at 75 and get between 32mpg and 34mpg.

So it can do it if you really need to.

But is was boring though :biggrin:

26 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

But is was boring though :biggrin:

Not really any more than doing the same journey at 75 tbh. I'm not one for hooning on the motorway, just no point. 

Anyway, getting fast is the fun part. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DBT85 said:

Not really any more than doing the same journey at 75 tbh. I'm not one for hooning on the motorway, just no point. 

Anyway, getting fast is the fun part. 

Agreed; the journey is also less 'stressful' when you just sit back not having to worry about camera vans, stealth speed cameras,  etc.