The 280PS Thread

31 minutes ago, juux said:

How on earth did we manage before the invention of parking sensors ;)

We had smaller cars, with smaller pillars and better visibility. Damn all that modern crash protection stuff. I used to be able to reverse park my '92 Cavalier neatly into the middle of a space at full throttle, ok it only had 89hp so not like trying to do the same in the 280! But I could still park it much faster than any car I've had since. Maybe this is another reason why I need a Caterham....

20 hours ago, juux said:

I refer the honourable gentleman to the 4 replacement front registration plates from my Dad's first Volvo estate (1989-1995) that acted as parking sensors in multi-storey car parks 

("when you hear the crack, you're close enough")

Edited by Wet Kipper
spleling
  • Like 1

Although on the radio this morning they were advertising a Toyota Aygo with a rear parking camera I do wonder if our reliance on technology has made us worse at driving. The Aygo is so small you can basically touch the rear when you turn around in the seat so do you really need a camera to park it. The front of the superb is no longer really than the Octavia so do not see the need for front parking sensors at all.

Much like SatNav - I can go somewhere dozens of times and still not know how to get there, whereas pre-satnav I would have learnt it by the 2nd or 3rd time as I would have actually been paying attention to where the turns where instead of just listening to a voice and doing as I'm told.

We have the reversing camera on our 280 but tbh most of the time I can do a better job faster just by looking out the back.

10 minutes ago, PSM said:

Although on the radio this morning they were advertising a Toyota Aygo with a rear parking camera I do wonder if our reliance on technology has made us worse at driving. The Aygo is so small you can basically touch the rear when you turn around in the seat so do you really need a camera to park it. The front of the superb is no longer really than the Octavia so do not see the need for front parking sensors at all.

Perhaps a lot of the people who purchase Aygo's have age related health issues that make turning around in the seat difficult.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2018 at 14:15, juux said:

We parked by ear, at least we did before the introduction of plastic bumpers.

As for driving through narrow gaps, such as garage doors, cars were smaller & narrower.

(I can't park a Superb 3 in my 16'6" x 8'6" garage & open the door wide enough to get out.....)

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

Yeah I much preferred the era before engines.  It was much more simple and rewarding to down feet and run like you stole it. 

Just like the typical Stoneage Family Car.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PSM said:

It's not just the length, it's much wider than the Octy, & that's when the sensors help, especially when trying to park in a normal domestic garage.

It also has a much larger turning circle that my old Octy, which caught me out a few times when I first got my 280!

I do like my reversing camera and the front and rear sensors, even though I could park it fine without them, having them is just nice

• Like 1

3 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

It's not just the length, it's much wider than the Octy, & that's when the sensors help, especially when trying to park in a normal domestic garage.

According to Wikipedia the Octy 3 is 1.814m and the Superb 3 is 1.864m so a difference of 5cm so not exactly much wider I would say!!!!

5 hours ago, dg360 said:

Perhaps a lot of the people who purchase Aygo's have age related health issues that make turning around in the seat difficult.

I would have said the Aygo is a young persons car more than the older generations so not sure that is quite right.

A young colleague at work was talking the other day about how useful his front facing camera is for driving when the screen is still misted up - just like driving a compute game! :o

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, PSM said:

According to Wikipedia the Octy 3 is 1.814m and the Superb 3 is 1.864m so a difference of 5cm so not exactly much wider I would say!!!!

50 mm wider over the body & only 14 mm over the mirrors, but since my Superb 2 is a tight fit @ at 1.817m over the body & 2.009m over the mirrors, the 2.017m for the Octy 3 & 2.031m for the Superb 3 make it difficult to get the newer cars through the 2.135m doorway.

Then there's the problem of opening the door & getting out..... 

It's a 1965 house & the garage was probably designed for a normal family car, such as a Mk 1 Cortina, 14 ft / 4.267m long & 5'5" / 1.648m wide.

As for supermarket car-parking spaces, please don't go there...............

I don't NEED parking sensors, but they are already there and can tell quite definitively, without any crunching, where I am.

I LIKE having them, they benefit me and have the only downside as being that some people on the internet really don't like them for reasons as yet unknown.

• Like 2

I have had rear sensors on the last few cars and like them too so have no issue with them as such but was just questioning if front sensors in particular were an essential item as opposed to a nice to have. In fact I prefer the sensors to the rear cameras since the Leaf we had only had a camera and I really did not like that and just wished it had the sensors (beeps) instead.

Do any of you have the side sensors as well? Just a personal view but I've found they actually detract from the front and back sensors (which I love) as they are just too sensitive and tend to shout all over the front and back ones when getting into a narrower space or going around a tighter corner (eg multi-storey car park).

Just now, BriskodaJeff said:

Do any of you have the side sensors as well? Just a personal view but I've found they actually detract from the front and back sensors (which I love) as they are just too sensitive and tend to shout all over the front and back ones when getting into a narrower space or going around a tighter corner (eg multi-storey car park).

I don't have the side ones but is it not possible to set them to a different tone/volume like you can with the front/back ones?

3 minutes ago, paul_7_7_7 said:

I don't have the side ones but is it not possible to set them to a different tone/volume like you can with the front/back ones?

Sadly not - or at least I haven't found a way to do it. Ideally I'd like to turn the sound off for the sides, as I know more instinctively where they are if you see what I mean, and I can use the screen if I'm really not sure. At the moment I have to ignore the beeps and work off the screen in tight spaces which is worse than in the SII I had with just front and rear sensors and worked perfectly. 

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

Nice!  What are you currently driving? 

Currently have an Octavia VRS CR170 Estate in Blue, 10 plate that I have had from new. Added a few extras to the Superb with Canton, paddles, colour maxidot, traffic sign recognition, heated windscreen, LED light package, wiper, Pegasus wheels and a spare wheel.

• Like 1

Just now, PSM said:

Currently have an Octavia VRS CR170 Estate in Blue, 10 plate that I have had from new. Added a few extras to the Superb with Canton, paddles, colour maxidot, traffic sign recognition, heated windscreen, LED light package, wiper, Pegasus wheels and a spare wheel.

Very nice.  I bet you can't wait!?

Don't forget to upload some pics.  I really like Petrol Blue, looks amazing in direct sunlight