Skoda water pump replace, Midlands. Recommendations?

Hi all

I need a new water pump + cam belt on my 2011 Octavia.

Bit distraught that the main dealer are quoting me £459 for what I was hoping would just be a split pipe somewhere!

Anybody have recommendations for independent Skoda / VW repairs in the Midlands - specifically Nuneaton or Coventry.

(Another local independent near me has quoted £475 but I dont think he wants the work.)

Thanks in advance!

The cambelt needs to come off to access the leaking waterpump.

As a rule it makes no sense to put back on the original cambelt, whilst the mechanic is there you may as well fit a new cambelt kit (belt, tensioners etc.)

It is quite a labour intensive job, at least 2-3 of hours, plus you need to drain and refill the coolant system too.

Given most Skoda main dealers (and also independents now) are up to £60-£90 / hour then for the labour you are at around £200, plus £50-£60 for the cambelt kit and another £50 for the waterpump and coolant etc.

If you can get it done for less than £350 you will be doing well!

I took my mk1 vrs to a VW garage for a cambelt and waterpump in the past as they had an offer, currently showing a price of £349 for the cambelt so factor a little more for the waterpump. http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/fixed-price-servicing

Skoda are asking £10 more. Who'd have thought? Skoda more expensive than VW. It's the £100 for the water pump that makes my eyes water!

AMD in Essex are charging £312 for a belt and pump change,anyone got any feedback on those guys?

Sorry for the thread hijack OP.

I have used the Lion Garage in Loughborough for a recent dsg oil change.

They also have a branch in Hinckley up on the Three Pots estate (I think). I live in Hinckley but work in Lufbra so I use the branch local to work.

Don't know much about the Hinckley branch but the Lufbra ones comes highly recomended.

We also use a local garage in Hinckley for service/repairs on our Fabia vRS - nearly 10 years old so don't want main dealer prices. Last year had cam belt, water pump, front disks & pads, lower near side suspension arm and service for just over £400. I can message you his name and number if interested.

Mark

Edited by Chester

Skoda are asking £10 more. Who'd have thought? Skoda more expensive than VW. It's the £100 for the water pump that makes my eyes water!

AMD in Essex are charging £312 for a belt and pump change,anyone got any feedback on those guys?

Sorry for the thread hijack OP.

I used AMD for my cambelt/pump change and a remap on my Superb. Excellent service and a nice bunch of fellas. I'd recommend them definitely :thumbup:

I can recommend the Hinckley branch of the Lion garage as I'm in Hinckley also, did the cambelt on my Octavia VRS TDI came in at £377 (quoted £350 I think)  in total as a tensioner bolt sheared off on removal and had to be drilled out and re threaded, the Manager Jason is a top bloke and helped me remove my old locking wheel nuts with his master set for the price of a pint when I bought the car as it had a BMW Key with it!! lol.

Ive heard good things about the Leicester branch too from the VW drivers at my work if that's closer