Vgate VS450

IainOctavia

I'm new to Octavias having bought a 55 Ambiente 2.0 FSI estate about 6 weeks ago, and I'm looking into diagnostics.

I've just bought a Vgate VS450 from here http://www.tmart.com/VS450-VAG-Can-Code-Reader-OBDII-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-for-VW-Audi_p131099.html as it's only £23 and it's well reviewed on Amazon.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried one?

I know it doesn't do as much as VCDS, but it's a fraction of the cost and I don't need a Windows laptop :)

Also, it'll be fairly casual use to start with as I'm new to this although I'm familiar with electronics & programming.

The main advantage over other OBD readers is that it claims to read the CAN bus, so it should get codes for everything...

I'll report back once it's arrived

Cheers

Iain

That's the one i've got. It's ok for basic things but that's about it. Also it won't access some of the other components, Very basic code reader.

OBDII readers only give emission related codes on VAG cars.  So, it may give some clue as to why a vehicle is running poorly.  It likely will lead to wrong conclusions in diagnosis as not all information will be present.  You may want to read an article we published on the subject: Does a Generic OBDII Tool Show All Codes?

I would put the money towards getting the genuine Ross-Tech cable instead of getting a generic reader, Probably pay for itself in the long run.

Got it today, and yes it's quite basic, although it does have an Audi/VW menu.

Only gave it a quick go today, and it found 3 faults on the engine (occasional misfires, and something about an exhaust gas sensor) although it feels like it's running ok

Those vgate scanners will fully interrogate any module that it can connect to. They display both generic and vag specific fault codes.

They can't do any coding or adaptions but for 20 odd quid it's worth having one in the glove box, that's where one of mine lives.