Chunk out of sidewall and having 2 different all season tyres front and back

MarkyD

P1010031_zpsfpyva6es.jpg

Generally happy with the Bridgestone A001 ( see previous posts) especially standing water but could be bettered regarding noisy and the car feels like it is moving/wobbling on the sidewall and treads. When weather got very hot the  tyres felt  'greasy'.

I have this damage to front tyre which is on about 5000 miles which is about 30% wear so was going to relace the two front ones with new A001's except now would like to try the Michelin Crossclimate (see A Game Changer) as they look better regarding summer braking, in the rain and noise levels.

Would it be OK to run two different makes of all season tyre front and back? Car is Mk1 4x4 Octavia.

As I understand it the haldex system is  reasonably forgiving regarding tyre size so as the rears are same age as fronts and less wear should be OK.

The chunk out the side wall was caused by rocks sticking out of Pembrokeshire hedge and was from pulling over v. low speed to let oncoming car through. No sign of any bulging or cord or metal so pretty impressed with the thickness of the wall at this place but reluctant to use at speed for safety reasons.

M

Edited by MarkyD

• 1 month later...

Got a puncture yesterday and apparently it's in the sidewall. "It's going to be a new tyre" the fitter said. Call me cynical but is this a common practice to boost tyre sales or a matter of safety. If it's safety, fair enough, but when does it cross the line ?  I feel like someone is pulling my chain because they can.

Got a puncture yesterday and apparently it's in the sidewall. "It's going to be a new tyre" the fitter said. Call me cynical but is this a common practice to boost tyre sales or a matter of safety. If it's safety, fair enough, but when does it cross the line ?  I feel like someone is pulling my chain because they can.

I don't think most places are allowed to repair the sidewall: http://www.btmauk.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Minor-repairs-to-passenger-car-and-light-van-tyres.pdf

It's never been possible to repair punctured sidewalls due to the way they flex. I've had friends who are/were tyre fitters since the late 1960s.