i have a mouse in my dashboard!!!!

seriously though, i have a knocking sound coming from the passenger side dashboard on my 52 octy vRS. i thought at first it may be the aircon but it still makes the sound with all fans etc switched off!!!! can anybody shed any light on this, even if its just to tell me it's supposed to be like that!!!

adam

Same noise on our L&K 1.9 Tdi.

Ours has only started in the last 3 weeks, car has done over 90000 miles so its not meant to do it

I thought like you & turned all the fans off but it still does it even when the cars stationary on idle, only does it when the cars properly warmed up though

Likewise any ideas apreciated

Ours is definately a knocking sound & it does it even when the car is stationary, its intermittent, can be the odd knock, can be 2 or 3 close together. Its definately somewhere behind the Glove box side of the dash. Unfortunately you cant here anything under the bonnet as it will be drowned out by the Engine noise

It dosent sound like a relay as I believe that would be more of a click, I wondered if its an air lock somewhere, could be air bubbling through water type of noise.

I tried all the aircon settings the other day & the cold definately didnt seem as cold, is that a clue ??

just been out to try mine, its not the hand brake lever. it's the same as yours, coming from behind the glovebox. it seems to be doing whilst i'm driving along too. its counds like an airlock like knocking central heating pipes but knowing me i'm totally wrong lol. maybe someone while come along in a while and shed some more light!!!!

adam

When I first collected my car (2nd hand) it had a vibration that sounded like the exhaust was touching something, I took it to Skoda who spent 2 days looking for it but couldnt find anything wrong - they could hear it too but diddnt charge me as they couldn't fix it. Engine noise while the car is running does make it very difficult to find, even on a petrol car ;)

On the way home I noticed it had gone, its never come back. Not very helpful to you I know but; If your car is under warranty I suggest you book it in at the dealer quickly, if the problem occurs in the warranty period they *should* be happy to cover any further work to resolve it even after the warranty has expired.

I recently replaced my VW Passat with an excellent Octavia Estate.

About 1 year ago, I had a very similar noise.

It started as a slight tapping behind the glove box. Over time this increase to a very loud banging. My normal VW agent were unable to find anything wrong !!!!! However, by chance I was at a different agent one day and asked them to have a look. The VAG COM told them the the fresh air/air recirculation flap (behind the glovebox) needed resetting. They tried to do this, but the motor/encoder were not working properly. The service manager said this would require the whole dashboard to be removed!!! about 8 hours labour!!!?? He then went on to say that, this was not the first one he had seen. The cheapest solution, he told me, was to unplug the electrical connector from this motor. to do this, remove the glovebox assembly (not as many screws as you would think), climb into the passenger footwell, stretch your hand behind the glovebox to find the motor, pull off electrical connector.

Before you do this, ensure that the flap is set to fresh (outside) air, as the only way to chage its position once you have removed the power lead, is to reach behind the glovebox, up inside the ducting and move the flap manually.

The water rushing noise could be air in the system which, could indicate a leaking heater matrix. Though cars do normally get a small ammount of air in the system over time. My car is a 51 plate with 7ok miles on it and makes a slight rushing/watery sound from the heating system, it is very quiet and only noticable when stationary without the radio on.

I know how frustrating strange noises are - once you notice it you can hear it even when passengers dont know what you're complaining about.

Try pressing the 'outside air' / 'air recirculation' button.

If for a breif few (blissful) seconds, everything goes quiet, then it is deffo the motor / encoder on this flap.

The best thing I ever did to my previous car, was to disconnect the power lead to this particular motor!

Is it a heavy knocking sound or a light vibration?

Rest your thumb on the hand brake button - that is a common vibration that can develop and sound like it is coming from somewhere else.

I've got that hand brake button rattle! Took me 18 months to figure out that's what it was. Tried taping round it but made it worse. Does anyone know how to cure it?

cheers

derek

Try pressing the 'outside air' / 'air recirculation' button.

If for a breif few (blissful) seconds' date=' everything goes quiet, then it is deffo the motor / encoder on this flap.

The best thing I ever did to my previous car, was to disconnect the power lead to this particular motor![/quote']

Wendy took ours to the dealers today, sounds like the same problem, dash out, days labour. I will get it done as I prefer aircon to work properly, you get max cold with recirculation on but all other times I want fresh airaircon working properly