Coolant drop after refilling

Hi newbie here again (sorry)

I have just drained and refilled the cooling system on my Fabia Mk1 and after finishing I ran the engine until the fan came on then, after waiting for it to cool down, topped up to the max mark, ran again until fan started, then left it on the drive overnight. Checked the following morning and the level was still at max. I then went for a short drive ( about 8 miles) and after leaving the car on the drive overnight again, checked the level. It had gone right down to the min mark. Is this normal after a coolant change? :sweat:  I had no trouble with the level before.

Edited by billh65

Perfectly normal.

Do not overfill now.

Just put a little more coolant in while it is cold, to take the level to between MIN / MAX.

Do not fill to MAX.

(There is no 'Fill to this mark',  because that would be useless,  

if you want to monitor, use a Marker Pen to make a line where you top up to.)

Then run the car some and let any more self bleeding happen.

Just check the level when cold.

Do not keep taking on or off & filling up.

Monitor the level to see all is well from after your top up today.

• Like 1

Make sure you have the temp in side the car on hot also, will help circulate it.

But otherwise it's normal.

Isn't it just a flap that changes the temp? I thought the water was circulating all the time?

• Like 1

Correct.

No-one (here) ever had a coolant leak from the valve that switches the coolant between going through the matrix or bypassing it; therefore there isn't one.  (Amused memories of a Vx forum I used to frequent, where almost every coolant loss thread turned out to be the heater bypass valve leaking...)

• Like 2