Using the emergency tyre inflation kit

I think it does yea

I have no real life experience with these but as far as I know it puts a foam stuff?!? Into the tyre to seal it

Think once it's been used its game over for the rubber

I think the wheel will need a good clean afterwards

• Like 1

Now that is something I never knew. Thanks for posting  :thumbup:

Will definitely be hunting out a full size spare/jack kit now because, unless totally shredded or sidewall damage, most punctures can be repaired/plugged nowadays. Cheaper than a whole tyre to replace.

Dave

Using plugs from the outside to fix punctures is only a temporary get you home measure as far as I know (Though that didn't stop one garage I went to before reading about this from using it as a permanent repair). A permanent repair is done by removing the tyre and patching it from the inside.

The problem is the fact that the slime has some kind of PTFE in it to let it move around the tyre and allow the fine particles that fill the puncture, thus not allowing a repair at the tyre shop, its right bloody mess when they take the tyre off

The older slime repair systems used delaminate the tyre from the inside, most of the local Authorities use this stuff in the ride on mower fleet it works well but as said v-messy.

Thanks for that feed back. I have no intention of using that kit.

When I bought the car second hand from the dealer I insisted on a spare wheel. They gave me a slim line one. I think those inflation kits are daft. Adding a fifth wheel to the overall cost of the car when new must be a very small %. I appreciate it saves the need of a well on a small car, but on a big beast like the superb seems a strange policy

Thanks for that feed back. I have no intention of using that kit.

When I bought the car second hand from the dealer I insisted on a spare wheel. They gave me a slim line one. I think those inflation kits are daft. Adding a fifth wheel to the overall cost of the car when new must be a very small %. I appreciate it saves the need of a well on a small car, but on a big beast like the superb seems a strange policy

Its more to with eu regulations on emissions & weight to power for fuel economy....plus anther was for skoda to get more pennies out of there customers. the inflation kits are silly price to replace & only are single use also they have a use by date.

If its any good to someone i still have my old bottle of foam inflation stuff its just out of date but if anyone wants for free they can have it or if they cover postal charges ill post it to them.

Sadly it's a (misguided IMHO) simple financial reason for losing the 'proper' spare and associated jack/tools....

Cost cutting at the expense of the customer and common sense.