Questions about Rapid facelift/revision

Hi everyone!  I've been away from the forum & not had a Skoda since I got rid of my Fabia vRS a few years ago.

The wife has just put a deposit on a 1 year old Rapid Spaceback.  We were going to buy new, but the saving on buying used (even against DTD prices) was too hard to ignore.

I was aware of the revisions/facelift (indicators in mirror etc).  It would have been nice to have £30 tax and 1-shot windows, but can live without those for the saving.  One thing that's bothering me from the list of changes though is this:

"New dashpod/maxidot" (from http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/340812-new-enginesfacelift/page-2#entry4107635)

Two things that we really liked about the new Rapid in the showroom was bluetooth audio streaming and also the way the MaxiDot display showed track information and navigation directions.

I naively assumed the pre-facelift rapid would have these, but I didn't check.  Can anyone with a pre-update Rapid with nav + maxidot put my mind at rest?

I've got a 11 month old Rapid and it doesn't show audio information on the maxidot but it does show Navigation details.

If it has a MFSW you can use that to change tracks etc but won't be displayed on maxidot either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toledo maxidot (same) has Satnav page and Audio page - this shows the radio station or track on the CD or SD card but I'm not sure about Bluetooth track details.

You can stream BT from mobile phone, ipod, whatever.

Unless its a Rapid "S" I seem to recall.

Oh and the Satnav Junction presentation is different on Amundsen+ and Maxidot so use just one of them to avoid confusion :)

PS. Stormchaser (posting above) has a non-factory install which possibly may not have been coded correctly - if his dealer's other failings are anything to go by.

Edited by camelspyyder

Really? Shows Audio on Seat Maxidot?

Just gone out and checked it.

Playing track off SD card.

Maxidot shows:

AUDIO

Boomtown Rats

Like Clockwork

A Tonic for the...

SD                   TP

So yes it shows Artist, Track Name, and Album Title.

Also Source and Traffic Program status.

Edited by camelspyyder

Hi everyone!  I've been away from the forum & not had a Skoda since I got rid of my Fabia vRS a few years ago.

The wife has just put a deposit on a 1 year old Rapid Spaceback.  We were going to buy new, but the saving on buying used (even against DTD prices) was too hard to ignore.

I was aware of the revisions/facelift (indicators in mirror etc).  It would have been nice to have £30 tax and 1-shot windows, but can live without those for the saving.  One thing that's bothering me from the list of changes though is this:

"New dashpod/maxidot" (from http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/340812-new-enginesfacelift/page-2#entry4107635)

Two things that we really liked about the new Rapid in the showroom was bluetooth audio streaming and also the way the MaxiDot display showed track information and navigation directions.

I naively assumed the pre-facelift rapid would have these, but I didn't check.  Can anyone with a pre-update Rapid with nav + maxidot put my mind at rest?

Firstly, welcome (back) to the Forum :) I did the same as you and bought a 1 year old (15 plate) Spaceback SE a couple of months ago and have been really pleased with it. My maxidot shows artist and track information. You can select 'Audio' using the maxidot button on the RHS of the steering wheel, but the option only appears while you are playing music. I don't have nav, so I can't comment on that aspect. The strange thing is that the artist and title info shows up on the maxidot, but not always on the screen of the Swing head unit. It might be something to do with the file format of my audio files. Weird, but there you go.

mdi_01.jpg

mdi_02.jpg

Lucky Seat!

Something so basic not even shown on a Rapid :(

Not with Amundsen anyway.

Looks like the Swing unit does it via MDI as it can't show it on the HU whereas the Amundsen can.

Mate,  the SEAT media 2.2 and Skoda Amundsen+ are exactly the same.  Looks like the dealer cocked up fitting that too.

MDI is just the source, as opposed to CD or SD or DAB or FM

Amundsen+ should show track details on screen (if you press "i" you get even more info) and also on the maxidot.

Clearly the SE spec Skoda does maxidot audio display (the Sport is an optioned-up SE).

And the factory Amundsen-fit SEAT does it too.

I think your kit is not maybe coded correctly.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 2

From the top Rapid Thread on this page (links to 2012 Rapid Manuals)

You can select the following information:

■ MFD » page 11

■ Audio » Booklet Operating instructions for the radio

■ Navigation » Booklet Operating instructions for the navigation system

■ Phone » page 83

■ Vehicle status » page 16

■ Settings » page 15

The menu points Audio and Navigation are only displayed when the factory-fitted radio or navigation system is switched on.

Edited by camelspyyder

The strange thing is that the artist and title info shows up on the maxidot, but not always on the screen of the Swing head unit. It might be something to do with the file format of my audio files. Weird, but there you go.

Like camelspyyder wrote, press INFO. Info will show up :)

To naxtek: Long story short: Facelift only adds the ability to control the A2DP source via the car. On pre-facelift cars you must do it on the A2DP source. Navigation via Maxidot is also present at pre-facelift.

Mate, the SEAT media 2.2 and Skoda Amundsen+ are exactly the same. Looks like the dealer cocked up fitting that too.

MDI is just the source, as opposed to CD or SD or DAB or FM

Amundsen+ should show track details on screen (if you press "i" you get even more info) and also on the maxidot.

Clearly the SE spec Skoda does maxidot audio display (the Sport is an optioned-up SE).

And the factory Amundsen-fit SEAT does it too.

I think your kit is not maybe coded correctly.

It does seem a coding was missed. They missed out putting Nav on MFD so I'll have to tell them about Audio now :(

Thanks for confirming all this :)

Phew, panic over.

All works as the brand new one did.

Bluetooth audio streaming works perfectly.  The Maxidot shows the track names etc, and also shows navigation directions.  The MFSW controls the tracks when playing via Bluetooth.

Couldn't be happier :D

• Like 2

MFD knows Chinese too. That'll please the wife :)

Don't get me started on that.

Apart frojm Chinese, the MFD also supports Russian, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Czech and of course English, but not Greek!

I know Greece (and Cyprus) is a tiny market compared to the Russian or Chinese one, but come on, how difficult would it be?

And it's not that I can't read English or something, it's that because it's actually missing the Greek character set altogether, the MFD cannot display my phone contacts. I have to transliterate them with Latin characters, which I refuse to do.

Fun fact: the Chinese "alphabet" needs about 4000 bytes to be encoded, while the Greek one needs less than 100.

• Like 1

Newby here, I'm slightly confused on spec, on the Skoda website clicking on model details and pricing seems to give many new options eg SEL TSI 125 DSG (which I'm sure weren't there few days ago), but these don't appear in the car configurator.  Do these get updated at different times.  

However the prices seem very high to me, can have a better equipped Octavia for not much more, am I missing something ?

as an example the Octavia SE 1.2 DSG is £18,885, but the Rapid SEL 1.4 TSI DSG is £18,460,  I know the engine is a different size, but the Octavia has dual zone climate etc that's not on Rapid

On another note I see the roomster has now disappeared from the new car section in uk

Edited by SurreyJohn

Rapid OTR prices are just a random starting point for negotiation downwards.

Either get a big discount or don't buy it.  SEAT dealers are even more likely to discount Toledo's in my experience.

e.g. Brand new 1.2 petrols top spec @13k or less rather than 17k+

SEAT have dropped the 1.4 petrol DSG from the range for 2016.  I thought Skoda were going to as well.

The SEAT 1.4 was often discounted to about 14k when it was available.

Also you are comparing pretty much bottom priced Octavia with top of the range Rapid.

i.e. Octavia SE-L 1.4DSG £21760 v's Rapid SE-L 1.4DSG £18460

Edited by camelspyyder

• 6 months later...

Don't get me started on that.

Apart frojm Chinese, the MFD also supports Russian, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Czech and of course English, but not Greek!

I know Greece (and Cyprus) is a tiny market compared to the Russian or Chinese one, but come on, how difficult would it be?

And it's not that I can't read English or something, it's that because it's actually missing the Greek character set altogether, the MFD cannot display my phone contacts. I have to transliterate them with Latin characters, which I refuse to do.

Fun fact: the Chinese "alphabet" needs about 4000 bytes to be encoded, while the Greek one needs less than 100.

I absolute agree with you! I have the same problem and I have send an email to skoda-auto.cz from September 14. They referred me  to Viamar in Greece. The answer was that there is no planning for such an update till mid 15. Of course I had no answer after that.... I have sent two more email after mid 15 and they did not even replied!

Did you had a better luck than me after your post?

I absolute agree with you! I have the same problem and I have send an email to skoda-auto.cz from September 14. They referred me  to Viamar in Greece. The answer was that there is no planning for such an update till mid 15. Of course I had no answer after that.... I have sent two more email after mid 15 and they did not even replied!

Did you had a better luck than me after your post?

You couldn't achieve anything by sending these emails. It's not that they don't know about the problem, it's just that they don't care.

If you own an Android phone, the best you can do right now is try and buy the app "Bluetooth Phonebook". This app can transliterate your contacts to the Latin alphabet on-the-fly, i.e. you will have your contacts in Greek in your phonebook, but they will appear in greeklish on your car. Unfortunately whether this app will actually work is hit and miss. Just get the trial version and give it a shot.

If you don't have an Android phone, the only thing you can do is to change your actual contacts to greeklish.