Service

I have ahd my Rapid TDI SE for 2 years now and it has started doing a service countdown reminding me a service is due in 16 days.

The service will be done at a local garage (not a dealers) The car has covered 6400 miles (on clock) will I be getting a smaller (first service) or a larger (2 year) one done? 

The garage doing the work will use a skoda service pack

I think with the dealer servicing it will be a larger service they will do. The first service is basically an oil change, the second you get more ticks on a job sheet and inspect more stuff.

I sometimes wonder if it was worth sending mine for a service at 3k miles, it most likely won't be on anywhere near 6k miles come the second service. But I do need a service stamp in the book. The third service it will go to a garage of my choice as the warranty will have expired.

Edited by MickA
  • Like 1

AS Mick said - first service is little more than an oil change, 2nd service will be a bit more (my preference is always for a full set of new filters, especially on a diesel).

Make sure the indi garage definitely uses genuine VAG parts (or OE quality aftermarket parts) in order to maintain your warranty. I would recommend having a main dealer do the last service before your warranty expires, just to make sure all the latest software updates, recalls etc are done before you head off into the world (and that any defects are dealt with under warranty).

Personally I'm sticking with main dealer while the warranty is still effect (saves any aggro and main dealer stamps in the service book add value), and will be ditching them for my preferred indi the second it lapses. My first service, done in January (10,000) was basically just and oil and filter. Next service (Jan 2016, 20,000 miles) I'll be pushing for all the filters to be changed as well (especially as Skoda UK is picking up the bill for that service).

I've only done 4400 miles and mine needs its 1st service. Mind you the oil is really black :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the service reminder showed up on the Maxidot? On what service schedule are you on?

Main dealers are expensive (£140 for an oil and filter change for example), many deliver questionable workmanship and don't bat an eyelid at ripping people off by either breaking the car or mugging customers into paying for unnecessary expensive repair work. Warranty period aside, will take a known indi garage over a main dealer any day.

It hasn't yet. I'm on a 10K/12 month plan.

I don't know what to say. Mine has 3600 miles on the clock after 5 months and is at a flexible service plan. The Maxidot reports that I will need to change oil at 16000 miles or 630 days. I checked the oil the other day and it was pretty clean as far I could tell from the dip stick.

In any case, changing the oil earlier can only benefit the car, provided that the new oil is within VW specs of course.

It will be done at the dealers as it's on the 3 free service plan. I'm on 4500 miles now and the oil is black like diesel oil. My Citigo oil was very clear when it was first serviced at 10K. Surprised it's so dirty in a short mileage.

I asked in the local (non dealer) garage and he said yes it will just be an oil change.  I also asked if they would reset the service reminder to 2 years again he said not a problem with your milage, main thing I forgot to ask was how much it was going to be :|

I wouldn't leave mine to 2 years even though this year is less than 5 K due to the state of the oil in mine. It's very black in colour for such low mileage. Looks like diesel oil after a short time. I would of thought it would be more golden colour than this?

And hopefully it will be gone by 2 years old.

I'm not a fan of these extended service intervals, especially on chain driven engines where the tensioner relies on oil pressure. Mine will be serviced 12 months after the previous service. I've got to use the two services I've got in my plan before I trade it in anyway!

• 3 weeks later...