Exhaust sound actuator

I hope this hasn't been done to death so apologise if this is another thread on it!

My question is does the MK3 Octy vRS Tdi have this function standard or is it available at all?? I only ask because we all know it has the fake engine sound within the different driving modes but I have seen videos on the tube about the exhaust note/sound, just wondering if it is fitted, does it sound any different?

• Like 1

No it doesn't. You are thinking of the exhaust sound actuator (active sound) you can get as a factory option on the Golf GTD....basically the rear silencer gets removed and a speaker system produces sound to make it sound like a waffly V8 petrol...most of those that have it love it but for me I think taking a 180ish hp 4 cylinder diesel and making it sound like a hot rod is a bit naff......clever but a bit naff. Works better on the 313hp 3.0 Bi-TDI that first received the tech.

Same could be said of the soundaktor that's fitted as standard to both cars (a small actuator fitted on the cars bulkhead, ECU controlled and vibrates the windscreen at a certain frequency to make the engine sound more meaty and off-beat) but I kind of like it and kind of massages the existing noise rather than producing something that is a utterly fake.

I "think" the Leon FR has the active sound option in some markets but not in the UK.

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies and it was just a thought after seeing some vids on youtube surrounding different exhaust notes. I personally don't mind the engine one on my Tdi as a diesel engine isn't the best sounding after all but I can see why some cannot stand it, each to their own I say..............

• Like 1

• 1 month later...