Oil Check Residue

Haven't done much with the Furby recently but it's due a service/MOT in the next few weeks. Checked the oil there (been a while to be honest) and noticed some residue on the dipstick, any ideas what it might be?

Cheers

post-84194-14397371159251_thumb.jpgpost-84194-14397371307115_thumb.jpg

Edited by seaweasel

I'd be tempted to whip out the oil filter and take a look for metal on the outside. The link is to a picture from pelican parts and shavings in a boxster oil filter after a bearing started to give up. Those little bits of metal are what you are looking out for.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAUQjxwwAGoVChMIueX7sqGuxwIVIRfbCh2xCQBX&url=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.pelicanparts.com%2Fboxster-cayman-forum%2F812902-metal-shavings-oil-filter.html&ei=QtrQVbm8FaGu7Aaxk4C4BQ&psig=AFQjCNF8YrVCSAzqSFea5XNeLmECZKABig&ust=1439837122457817

Edited by poiuytre111
  • Like 1

It's not unheard of, i checked this when buying a few pd engines, camshaft wear is really common and one of the signs is metal fragments on the dip stick.

No big drama, been documented plenty the past month with a few people changing there own.

Could just be nothing though :D

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I checked the dipstick again yesterday after it had sat for the day and could only see a speck of residue - didn't seem to be metal, was kind of orange and disolved when rubbed. I'm planning on changing the oil in about a week so will have a look in the old filter for any metal bits.