Replacing a cracked auxiliary belt

unsolicited

I noticed when checking the oil that the auxiliary belt had developed a longitudinal crack. Thought I'd better be safe than sorry and replace the belt. At less than 9 quid delivered from Euro, why not.

CrackCloseup.jpg

The part number is 6PK1000 for cars with aircon.

To remove the old belt you'll need a 16mm socket with (ideally) a 1/2" ratchet. From under the car (you can reach the tensioner with the car on the ground if you contort appropriately), release the tensioner by turning it anticlockwise. If you're nubile enough you will be able to slip the belt off the tensioner and the other pulleys with your spare hand.

CrackedBelt.jpg

Fit the new belt around the three pulleys taking care to centre it appropriately. It will probably be necessary to turn the tensioner anticlockwise as far as it will go, and since the new belt will probably be tighter it's a lot easier to have a helper on hand to thread the belt around the rear of the tensioner from above. Release the tensioner slowly, making sure the belt remains positioned correctly. It should look something like this :-

NewBelt.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Out of interest how old was the belt and miles done ?

I replace mine on my Roomster when I change the cambelt every 4 years and I've never found any cracking. There is a locking pin to secure the tensioner in the loose position.

Not very uncommon fault then. My up!'s (oct. 2013) auxiliary belt was found cracked at my cars first (15 000km) maintenance and was replaced for free of charge for obvious reason. Has lasted since (now 37 000km driven), maybe there are (were) some known problems with the belts?

-eelis-

Edited by eelis

• 2 weeks later...

Out of interest how old was the belt and miles done ?

I replace mine on my Roomster when I change the cambelt every 4 years and I've never found any cracking. There is a locking pin to secure the tensioner in the loose position.

That particular belt was 3 years old / 28K. Unless it was changed before (I'm the second keeper).

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Word of warning using 6PK1000. Although this is the part number indicated by Eurocar parts website for the number plate on my daughter's Citigo (with A/C but not stop-start function), 6PK1000 was too large!! It fitted but the belt tensioner could be turned to maximum deflection by hand all the way to the stop. The belt was very loose and you could feel the vibration with the engine running inside the car! It turned the alternator ok but squealed like pig, especially  when the A/C was switched on. Purchased a 6PK989 (which funnily enough is 989mm circumference as apposed to 1000mm on the 6PK1000) from TPS and bingo, was a nice and snug fit. I used an 8mm allen key on the '6 pointed  star' socket (its not a Torx socket BTW ) on the belt tensioner.

• Like 1

What's the engine code of your daughter's Citigo @Rookster?

ETKA lists 1000mm as correct for CHYA/CHYB with A/C but without Start/stop list of 'v' belts; for vehicles with air condit. - Citigo(CIT) [EUROPA 2016 year] (7zap.com)

But that (non-genuine) ETKA site doesn't cover any possible newer engine codes than those.

Edited by Wino
with; not without s/s

Interesting, I wonder if something else like the tensioner changed design causing the difference. Or just an error in ETKA.

The latter is quite plausible, given that the last two lines of the table in that page shows the same part number 04E 145 933A as two different lengths, 1000mm in the penultimate, and 1873mm in the last!

What was the VW group part number of what TPS supplied to you, please? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wino said:

Interesting, I wonder if something else like the tensioner changed design causing the difference. Or just an error in ETKA.

The latter is quite plausible, given that the last two lines of the table in that page shows the same part number 04E 145 933A as two different lengths, 1000mm in the penultimate, and 1873mm in the last!

What was the VW group part number of what TPS supplied to you, please? 

04C260849E (RIBBEDBELT)

• Like 1

Ah OK, that's listed for with A/C without start/stop, but described (badly) as 1873mm long in the notes column in the third from last line on that page. I mixed up with and without start stop in my first post above 7L3 is without, 7L6 is with. Gonna screenshot for hopefully more clarity, in a moment.