Winter wheels Skoda VRS

Looking for advice on 18 inch original Octavia rims för my new VRS I'll pickup next week.

The seller recommended me the Denom 17 but don't like them much and 17 will look a bit too small.

So which Skoda rims should I get?

Car is in Moon White with Gemini anthracite.

I understand from your post the dealer will give you Skoda OEM winter wheels. This is a real bonus if they are providing this.

In Switzerland the dealer usually provides 3rd party winter wheels (specially branded & with a >100% markup on price).

If you are interested in after-market winter wheels, the beginning of this thread may also be useful (the end becomes more of a discussion about why anyone would buy winter tyres - obviously not in doubt for you living in Sweden):
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/296835-winters-on/page-1

In this thread most people choose to go for 17" winter wheels.

I also did & personally I don't think they look that much different than the original 18" summer wheels I have on my vRS although the looks weren't really something I was concerned about when I bought them.

I use ATS Radial 17's in graphite (very similar appearance to stock Gemini 18's) with Nokian WR D3 225/45 tires. Performance in cold/wet/snow is very assured.

I posted some pictures within this thread. 17's do look smaller but ride is improved and the wheels/tires are cheaper to replace.

Edited by Orville

Ok so I know it's not winter yet but I'm looking about for options.

Currently there are a large number of 18" alloy options on ebay. In fact 18's seem to be cheaper than 17's.

Tyre costs are about £10-15 less a tyre, what are people going for?

18's or 17's? Is the cost of tyre worth going for the smaller rim?

Or my other option is to run my 19's with UniRoyal RS3's, which I'm guessing would cope with most of the colder weather we have........any input comments would be great.

Thanks

Winter tyres are a completely different kettle of fish to RS3's.

Sorry should have maybe explained my thinking a bit more. I've got winter tyre's from my MK2FL but they will not fit the MK3 vRS. 17's are the minimum size that you can go with. So I will need to re-invest in winter wheels. 

Taking into account my mileage is now mostly around town at the moment, I was after views of how well the RS3's will cope with wet/cold weather as a better solution rather than winter wheels (basically as a temporary solution until I sell the current winter wheels).

As for winters, maybe leaning towards Conti's Contact TS850's as they get good reviews.

Ah - makes sense now :)

I like the Uniroyals as a wet weather tyre (I think it was RS2's at the time) - didn't actually do too bad in the snow the one time I did get (almost) stuck - avoiding all the other daft sods who got stuck and didn't even bother to try and keep off the main carriageway before they did.  Out of the "normal" tyres out there, I'd be happiest on them in winter personally.

• Like 1

The most important feature with winter tyres is their winter capabilities (snow/ice/low temperatures). You need soft rubber and soft tyres with high side walls. In my non-vRS i went for 17" and 205/50 tyres, which I consider a good winter dimension. Rims should be easy to clean. Teron, Denom and Dorado are good choices, but I would check with the dealer/supplier that the rims are suiable for winter use (not all are, they are too weak in cold climates).

• Like 2

you need 17's more choice of winter rubber and therefore cheaper, don't wait too long as its september in 10 days , now is the time to buy.

It's why I've been looking as soon people will start buying. At the moment the tyres are ok price wise.

Just need to find some 17's then, just weird that they are more expensive on ebay.

Well, I don't know much about winter conditions in England. For Nordic conditions I would certainly go for tyres with so called Nordic rubber and patterns for best winter abilities, as OT lives in Sweden. But of course, it all depends on road conditions, winter maintenance, general trafic, driving style and a lot of other local considerations. It is OK to look good, but for me it is safety before looks when it comes to winter wheels.

Edited by fatzy
  • Like 2

Michelin alpin A5 on 225 wide with 17" rims on nice Team Dynamics prorace 3 (clean 5 spoke mag) I run on my VW Golf Estate MK7...............very good in winter as used them last year.

So looking about on the webby thing, I've found a company called "MrWinterWheels"

Has anyone used them. Cost is not that much more than getting a set of second hand alloys and getting tyres fitted to them.

Second hand wheels are £150-400 (price not including getting referb'd)

Tyres £420 (Cheapest I've found for conti WinterContact850) = Price range of 570-820

New from MrWW balanced and delievered £777 (http://www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk/17-skoda-octavia-iii-5e-winter-wheels-tyres.html)

So I'm in two lines of thought:

1) sourcing everything yourself can work out cheaper if you keep shopping about, but I will probably have to tidy up the used alloys, they will be VAG spec. (cheapest option)

Or

2) From MrWW, they are all sorted, balanced and ready to go on the car with very little fuss. Alloys are new (but after market) so less chance of issues and the alloys come with upto a 5 year warranty subject to T&C's. (easy option)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm at the same decision M12MKD! Not sure whether to go a bit more expensive but sorted quickly, or try and find a couple of deals (wheels and then tyres) elsewhere. Weather forecast for UK winter is always difficult, but could be an El Niño super-snow-ice-fest! Or just grey and a bit chilly

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk