Front alloys heat

jre

Hi guys, I recently noted that both my front alloys were pretty hot (could only hold my hand on them for a couple of seconds) after short 20 minutes town runs. I took it past the garage as there was also a rubbing and loud high pitched sound, they greased everything up and the rubbing and high pitched noise have gone but the hot alloys remain.

Is this normal? I was thinking a brake issue but both front wheels are hot so that seems unlikley. The tyres don't seem hot but I will check when I am next out. the discs are bloody hot but that is to be expected I assume.

Maybe the wheels are meant to get hot, and maybe town driving and braking causes more heat that I thought... but any help or tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

James

Thanks for the reply vzo25, if it is that could could it be a partilcular part of the brake assembly, or could any parts create the heat?

Also, are there any parts that could cause it in both front wheels? My luck isn't great with my vRS so guess it could be that and both sides have issue :sweat:

I'd agree that this sounds like binding front brakes. Have you noticed poor fuel economy and/or a loss of performance and/or burning smells since this issue started? Are the front discs taking on a blue tinge? These would all be diagnostic of a brake problem.

The discs could seize on the guide pins, or the pistons in the callipers to cause this. Either way, if you take the front wheels off and inspect the pads through the "windows" in the calliper outer edges, the inner pads should look thinner (more worn) than the outers if we're correct.

Thanks KenONeil

The performance seems ok and the fuel economy is hard to judge as I do mostly town driving so it varies hugely anyway. I havent noted any burning smell but next time I head out I will have a check on both wheels.

Once it happens again I will run it past the garage and ask them to check the pads.

With it being both wheels could it be something not brake related? Tyre pressure is fine, and the tyres themselves don't seem to get hot.

Binding brakes a definite candidate as boths wheels are getting hot, you could also test the rear wheels too, will be the master cylinder.

Brakes after being applied the brake fluid is unable to return to the brake master cylinder.

Heat expands the brake fluid and with no where to go they start to push caliper pistons out and start to apply the brake pads onto brake discs.

Solution renew master cylinder, renew all brake fluid and check discs for warping and renew the brake brake pads.

Good luck..

Hey Giandougl

Fingers crossed it doesn't need all that, sounds expensive ;)

The back wheels are warm after a drive but nothing like the front so could that rule out a master cylinder issue?

Thanks for the reply vzo25, if it is that could could it be a partilcular part of the brake assembly, or could any parts create the heat?

Also, are there any parts that could cause it in both front wheels? My luck isn't great with my vRS so guess it could be that and both sides have issue :sweat:

Had this issue with previous car. It was sticking slider pin.

You can do quick check.jack up each wheel. See if it spins freely.if it stops immediatly or wont turn by hand. Obviously when car has been stood for a while.

As said above you will also be able to tell from the colour of disc.

If you have the tools then have go yourself.

But if you take to garage.ask to see the condition of everything before spending money.they might try to replCe caliper etc just to get extra out of you.