Is a rear camera redundant if you have parking assist?

Parking Assist II is capable of parking you too close to a kerb depending on the width and position of the adjacent cars, or too far away from a kerb. I selected this option on my Mk III order as well to avoid that problem, and also to be able to line up accurately into my garage. PA III may be better at this though!

Parking Assist II is capable of parking you too close to a kerb depending on the width and position of the adjacent cars, or too far away from a kerb. I selected this option on my Mk III order as well to avoid that problem, and also to be able to line up accurately into my garage. PA III may be better at this though!

Oh right. Is this really the 3rd iteration of Parking Assist or are you just differentiating based on the Superb mark it came available on?

No, it's the third iteration.

Doesn't replace the camera's advantage of seeing below bumper level, especially those pesky kerbs, low bollards (aka concrete slab) or sawn-off overgrown tree stumps so favoured in countryside carparks.

Parking assist won't help for the tight gap you want to get into that's at the end (or beginning) of the parking bays, at least not with PA II. You know the ones I mean - where the council have placed a pretty flower pot or curved the footpath inward to restrict further parking.

I'm guessing if you are like my Brother you will not use Park Assist all the time (I don't think that he has even tried it yet :) ) so the reversing camera is a great addition

I've never had a car with PA or rear camera so I was purely going on how I'd imagined using it. However, seems as though the rear camera is more useful than I first thought. Thanks for the comments.

Edited by techno79

I'm guessing if you are like my Brother you will not use Park Assist all the time (I don't think that he has even tried it yet :) ) so the reversing camera is a great addition

I use it in earnest about 3 or 4 times a year to get into spaces I would otherwise probably/definitely pass on. The problem is getting back out, leaving me bewildered how it got in in one move and I need two or three to get out. At least the new PA does that for you too!

I have to be honest and say I use PA an equal number of times when I could happily do it myself, just for the amusement factor of watching the steering wheel spinning backwards and forwards at a high rate of knots, that and the looks of passers-by as I sit with my hands behind my head.

As a slightly off-topic aside...

I also like that the front sensors (where fitted) now activate automatically at low speed. Previously you had to manually switch them on if your first manoeuvre was forwards as they only activated automatically (with the rear sensors) when reverse gear was selected. A minor inconvenience when performing a three point turn in a restricted space.

Back on topic...

If it was a choice of either/or I'd actually choose camera over PA. If money isn't an issue, then both, simply because PA adds so much functionality.

I use it in earnest about 3 or 4 times a year to get into spaces I would otherwise probably/definitely pass on. The problem is getting back out, leaving me bewildered how it got in in one move and I need two or three to get out. At least the new PA does that for you too!

I have to be honest and say I use PA an equal number of times when I could happily do it myself, just for the amusement factor of watching the steering wheel spinning backwards and forwards at a high rate of knots, that and the looks of passers-by as I sit with my hands behind my head.

As a slightly off-topic aside...

I also like that the front sensors (where fitted) now activate automatically at low speed. Previously you had to manually switch them on if your first manoeuvre was forwards as they only activated automatically (with the rear sensors) when reverse gear was selected. A minor inconvenience when performing a three point turn in a restricted space.

Back on topic...

If it was a choice of either/or I'd actually choose camera over PA. If money isn't an issue, then both, simply because PA adds so much functionality.

Good to know. I'm actually looking at the L&K trim so PA is already included. Question was to help me decide if the camera option on top was worth it.

Thanks again all

I'm not sure I'd trust PA but I think RVPC is what I'd want parking manually. My logic is that even if I had PA, I wouldn't use PA 100% of the time. In any situation I'm not using PA, damn right I want RVPC.

Is the camera fitted to the number plate lamp or built into the badge as I'm thinking it could possibly be an easy add on afterwards for someone with vcds

Neither, page 23 of the brochure shows it is part of the boot handle.