Portable security

XLBaconDoubleCheese

The 16mm (or the real big bast*rd 19mm ones) aren't cheap, but they cost less than your insurance excess, and little more than many chains that can be cropped in a few seconds. Thieves are lazy (they'd have proper jobs otherwise) - it's all about making it difficult enough that they'll move onto an easier bike. If you've got it properly secured to a good (and properly positioned) ground anchor by a proper chain and lock then, unless you're really unlucky, or it's some rare exotica that's on their list and not easy to find, then you'll probably be ok. If your garage is attached to the house with an internal door then fit deadlocks on the inside, to make it difficult for them to even get in in the first place.

Makes sense. Cheers.

The beauty of our house is the garage is built in, with my bedroom behind it.

So all being well, if anything happens it wakes me.. And i pick my weapon of choice

But whilst out and about it anyones guess, and a good chain really would be a good asset imo.

I'd quite like to see someone get into the garage and steal my bike when I get hold of one, 5/6 padlocked bolts on the door, with hasp as well as barred windows a 4x8 bar across both doors, all chained plus the original door lock, bike chained to car as well as floor locking point with 2 non runners, and 3 running cars in the way with double locked gates, not to mention fully alarmed (monitored by police) :D however I am in the same dilemma as for a decent way of locking it for the odd time it is ridden to college or left anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

but then why nick mine when there are lots more expesive / flashy bikes around? :)

Because it's exactly the kind of bike that professional thieves love - popular and crashed a lot. Ideal for use as a ringer, or quickly broken and sold in bits on eBay for a handsome profit to those many GSXR owners unfortunate enough to have chucked theirs down the road. The market for Bimota spares is somewhat smaller... Edited by StripleR675

Makes sense. Cheers.

The beauty of our house is the garage is built in, with my bedroom behind it.

So all being well, if anything happens it wakes me.. And i pick my weapon of choice

Get some deadlocks on the inside then, if it has a door through into the house. As for the weapon of choice, if you go down that route then be sure you're prepared to use it, because you can be damn sure that if it comes to that, then the thieves will be prepared to use theirs. And even if you come out on top then, chances are, you'll be the one in the dock for gbh. Edited by StripleR675

Get some deadlocks on the inside then, if it has a door through into the house. As for the weapon of choice, if you go down that route then be sure you're prepared to use it, because you can be damn sure that if it comes to that, then the thieves will be prepared to use theirs. And even if you come out on top then, chances are, you'll be the one in the dock for gbh.

As bad as it sounds, if someones in my garage trying to get at my heard earned, theres a switch that clicks at much less than that. It doesnt go often, but its a bad do when it does.. Im not too bothered about GBH aslong as its called for and ive done a good job.

Yeah its got some decent locks on it (:

Plus. Tbf. Ive got good neighbours in a similar situation. Which is handy. Lucky really

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 1

It ain't worth getting stabbed or going to prison for a bike though.

Not saying prison would be on my mind.. But i would do my upmost to stop any intruder, as would most of my neighbours. Who im sure would join in tbh.

The problem with the legal system, is its not slightly harsh enough for these people not to want to do such things. Its just a slap on the wrists.

Many people are generally nice until you try to take their hard earned away from them..

• Like 1

Don't bet on that. Most bikes taken by professionals are stolen from garages. They'll quite happily spend a long time in a garage (and it takes all of a couple of seconds to get into a garage with a normal up and over door) since they're out of sight and can take their time. And even if you've got a chain and ground anchor that can't be cropped quietly with bolt cutters (and the big 42" Irwin Record cutters that they favour will go through that Oxford Hardcore chain as easily as cheese), then most garages have power points for them to plug power tools into (don't keep your angle grinder in your garage...).

As I said above though, if they're willing to go to the lengths of entering the house for keys to move a car they'll not be stopped by anything really. Sad as it is.

I am having to renew my Insurance at the moment.  Looking on the comparison sights they all ask what extra security it has and I put none because the lock and chain I have isn't even named on there!  It is kept under cover on the drive in front of the house and cannot be seen from the road and as far as I am concerned it is safe enough.  Gravel drive so walking down it at night isn't going to be favoured by the average scum bag to see if there is anything to nick.  It is a very long drive as well so they would be crunching away for some time.

That however doesn't mean a thing to any Insurance Company and they want a named product to give me a discount.  Doubt the cost of a really good product would bring sufficient discount to warrant it though as the premium is only £110 for the year (don't forget I am old). 

Don't bet on that. Most bikes taken by professionals are stolen from garages. They'll quite happily spend a long time in a garage (and it takes all of a couple of seconds to get into a garage with a normal up and over door) since they're out of sight and can take their time. And even if you've got a chain and ground anchor that can't be cropped quietly with bolt cutters (and the big 42" Irwin Record cutters that they favour will go through that Oxford Hardcore chain as easily as cheese), then most garages have power points for them to plug power tools into (don't keep your angle grinder in your garage...).

As mentioned in my previous post, my bike is blocked in my garage by my car which is a weekend toy so every time I get my bike out I have to go through the palava of backing my car out in order to get the bike out & then blocking it back in each time I come back in with the bike.

My point being is that for someone to get to my bike they are going to have to get to my car first which is alarmed, imobilsed, etc & has a fairly loud exhaust on it & would wake us if started / hot wired, etc. My garage is right around the side of my house - the opposite side from the entrance to my drive and the run down in to my garage is on a good incline which makes it extremely difficult to push my car out of the way / back up the drive (believe me - we have tried in the past) and almost impossible to get another car in behind it to pull it out of the way.

I also have the ultimate home security system rigged up to my house & garage

the nosiest neighbours in the world!!   

They could tell me what time of night I got up to go to the toilet let alone someone else being in my drive at night so I think I am sorted for my bike being secure at home  :D

Edited by BlueMonster

Because it's exactly the kind of bike that professional thieves love - popular and crashed a lot. Ideal for use as a ringer, or quickly broken and sold in bits on eBay for a handsome profit to those many GSXR owners unfortunate enough to have chucked theirs down the road. The market for Bimota spares is somewhat smaller...

I agree with your comment and find it strange that I never had this concern with my 2 previous Honda CBR's given that they too are a very popular sports bike.

Everywhere I seem to go since getting the Gixer people are saying I hope you have good security for that.

I did consider a datatool tracker when I ordered the bike and I was told by both my dealer and insurance that it would make very little difference to the premium. I need something as per the point of this thread that is portable and isn't like carrying a cannon ball round in my rucksack and I don't mind spending a few hundred quid to protect my pride & joy.

So, what is your recommendation? 

Edited by BlueMonster

As bad as it sounds, if someones in my garage trying to get at my heard earned, theres a switch that clicks at much less than that. It doesnt go often, but its a bad do when it does.. Im not too bothered about GBH aslong as its called for and ive done a good job.

Best stop taking the pi$$ about lazy plumbers then I guess! :D

So back to the serious bit.  Just checked what difference having a £100 plus worth of Abus Granite would make to my Insurance quote and the answer is £0.  Probably because I do not have a very popular bike for scum bags to nick.  It is all based on risk and stats so I would imagine not many Triumph Explorers have been nicked.  So not worth it for cost and my piece of mind is cool with any risk I run in parking it anywhere.

Of course many of you Guys have something far more nickable and your circumstances will be different to mine so I am not suggesting my was is correct for anyone else.

Just been looking for reviews of security and MCN dates back to 2009!  Did find this though that was worth a read.

https://rideapart.com/articles/ask-a-motorcycle-thief

I agree with your comment and find it strange that I never had this concern with my 2 previous Honda CBR's given that they too are a very popular sports bike.

Everywhere I seem to go since getting the Gixer people are saying I hope you have good security for that.

I did consider a datatool tracker when I ordered the bike and I was told by both my dealer and insurance that it would make very little difference to the premium. I need something as per the point of this thread that is portable and isn't like carrying a cannon ball round in my rucksack and I don't mind spending a few hundred quid to protect my pride & joy.

So, what is your recommendation?

Any lock and chain worth bothering with is too big and heavy to be portable without being a pain in the ass. You certainly don't want to carry a lock of any description in a rucksack - in a crash it can do your back serious injury. A lock and chain is no more use than a good disclock, if you've got nothing substantial to chain the bike to (and less use than a disclock if it's used badly - it amazes me how many times you see bikes locked with the chain draped on the floor). I rarely venture away for long or far from my bike if I stop when out and about, so I just take one of my disc locks.

So back to the serious bit. Just checked what difference having a £100 plus worth of Abus Granite would make to my Insurance quote and the answer is £0.

It's not about getting an insurance discount though, it's about stopping your bike getting stolen. £100 is a small price to pay if it stops that. Have your bike stolen and it's going to cost you a lot more than that - you've got the inconvenience and expense of getting home from wherever you are to start with, then you lose your excess, then your insurer will offer you minimum book value for the bike and you'll have a massively increased premium for years to come (and many insurers won't want to insure you at all). And if it's stolen from your home then the thieves will be back again for your new bike soon enough.

Edited by StripleR675

Oh I appreciate that and hence why I said 'my way' isn't necessarily for everyone or the best way.  For me I believe the risk of where I park my bike is acceptable and it is only ever left anywhere in public in day light where there are plenty of people milling about.  I realise that does not stop it being nicked but for the last 6 years it has worked.  As far as I am concerned it is insured and yes it would be grief if it were nicked but it is a level of risk 'I' am comfortable with. 

Interesting to hear the American bike thief saying that hardly anyone nicks a bike by putting it in a van.  Not the same here I think but by the same token with a steering lock on four blokes lifting the Tiger into a van where I would park it would look a little bit suspicious.

As for the bit about how much I would save on the Insurance the point of that was they make so much of you having the security but give you sod all for lessening their risk.

Interesting to hear the American bike thief saying that hardly anyone nicks a bike by putting it in a van.  Not the same here I think but by the same token with a steering lock on four blokes lifting the Tiger into a van where I would park it would look a little bit suspicious

It would look suspicious, but nobody would do anything to try stop them.

How much is your excess Chris?

Well between the top two on MCN Compare there is a huge difference.  Both are £500 voluntary and one wants £250 Compulsory and the other who I am with already want £750!

It would look suspicious, but nobody would do anything to try stop them.

No as most people walk about with their heads up their ars8s as far as that is concerned but will happily stick their beak in when it is something that doesn't concern them.  I still think it an acceptable risk knowing the places where I park.

A lot of grief, and cost you a lot of money.

Again accepted but and this is a big but. Insurance is based solely on risk.  I think I am fairly sensible in what I do and as a result 'I' believe the risks I am taking when I leave my bike are acceptable to me and in the last 6 years that I have been riding continually (many years on and off before that) I have not had anything go wrong.  As I said what suits me might not suit everyone.  It is a gamble at the end of the day.  I could look at it the same way with my car Insurance.  I have been driving on Fully Comp for over 40 years and only had one claim which was against someone else's Insurance.  I could but don't! 

Strange how the mind works I suppose.  Main thing I want to emphasise Striple is I am not disagreeing with what you say as what you say isn't wrong in general.  All I am saying is that for me I know the risk and accept it because I have looked at it from many different angles and am confident enough to stick with that.  'If' I am ever proved to be wrong it will be no one else's fault but mine.

I read it's a epidemic in London, scores of bikes going missing each week. Literally a van stops, blokes get out and chuck bike in the back and drive off. Side of the road, private car park, anywhere they can get to it. 1000cc Super bikes seem to be pick of the bunch but anything that looks mildly tidy is a target. If I took my bike to London, I'd be staying with it all the time, if I lived there then I'd want a garage to keep it in. 

Thats London though, we all know our own areas to a degree, a lot of these big break in thefts like the one I mentioned earlier are in more affluent areas around bigger cities, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow, obviously it's not limited to them areas but it's certainly more common. 

As I said before, my mate keeps his Fireblade outside his house, under a cover but with a fairly basic level chain, had no issues, my dad use to keep his on the drive at our old house too round the corner without issue for years. The main targets round here seem to be small bikes, scooters and 125s. Back when I was 17 I had my bike and my step dads bike nicked from out back garden. Lifted a fence panel and carried them off chained together, well I'm assuming. 

I guess we all have our own limits of risk we are willing to accept, which all depends on the bike, location, time its left etc.

I read it's a epidemic in London

Always has been, but presumably even more so since the Met's disbanding of their vehicle crime unit, led by Ken German (which was the country's only dedicated vehicle crime unit). The police don't see vehicle theft as any kind of priority. Tbh, they mostly don't even see it as anything to do with them, beyond issuing a crime number for you to give to your insurer.