Replace All 4 Tyres?

irc

So, on my 1.4Tsi Octavia at 32K miles the original Bridgestones are down to 2mm front and 4mm rear.  I'm replacing them with Cross Climates as I had a scary near miss braking on the snow last winter.

So do I just replace all 4 or swap the rears to the front get Cross Climates on the back then replace the other Bridgestones a year from now keeping £120 in my pocket meantime? 

I'm leaning towards just getting rid of all 4 Bridgestones as I don't rate them, noisy, not brilliant in the wet, and scary on snow. But £120?

(and next time make sure the tyres are swapped front and rear around 10-15K)

Edited by irc

Whats with this new theory of putting the new tyres on the rear, of a front wheel drive vehicle...surely some mistake...always put the new ones on the front and have done for decades with fwd....

Whats with this new theory of putting the new tyres on the rear, of a front wheel drive vehicle...surely some mistake...always put the new ones on the front and have done for decades with fwd....

Hardly a new theory.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Its to do with understeer/oversteer.

The theory is that having the tyres with least tread on the the rear will cause the rear to loose grip before the fronts, causing oversteer. If the better tyres are on the rear, the fronts will loose grip first causing understeer. Understeer is 'easier' to control than oversteer, therefore making it 'safer'.

That's the theory anyway.

Thanks for replies. Going to replace all 4 on the  basis that if the rears are 2/3rd worn I'm only saving £40  running them for  another year. I'd rather have matching tyres front and rear and front wheel  braking and steering if we get snow this winter.  

Michelin say new tyres to rear.

It's not new.  It's been the recommendation from the tyre manufacturers & road safety bodies for at least 20 years that i know of.

Proven by both scientific review of accident statistics & practical testing.

I know a lot of people don't agree with it and it's not worth arguing the point so I just say que sera sera

To the OP:  I'm a bit of a tightwad so I'd buy 4 (especially if there's a buy3 get 4 offer) fit 2x new to the rear, put the rears on the front and fit the other two when the fronts are bald.  That's assuming you can get away with summer tyres in the prevailing weather conditions.

Edited by brad1.8T

If I had put my new pair of tyres on the back instead of the front I may not have been parked in a hedge last month. That reminds me, I must swap them at some point.

On topic, I'd get all 4 changed. And how the hell do you make them last 30 odd thousand miles? I haven't got a set to go past 10K yet.

Thanks for replies. Going to replace all 4 on the  basis that if the rears are 2/3rd worn I'm only saving £40  running them for  another year. I'd rather have matching tyres front and rear and front wheel  braking and steering if we get snow this winter.  

Michelin say new tyres to rear.

Since you are in Glasgow check out the current Mich offer at Costco.  I used to buy for a national chain, and they couldn't compete with Costco back then.  They also used to say the same about new on the rear axle, but personally I think that's advice at the lowest/safest/PC level for drivers who aren't sympathetic to their (company's?) car.  If you've got any interest in your tyres, inflate correctly, and check them regularly, and most importantly - drive accordingly - then I think "new to front" is better on balance (not literally).  BUT I always front to rear mid life and always change all 4.

Good choice btw.

Edited by Jeeves