PD Vs CR - looking to buy a Vrs Tdi

Whats the difference between the 2 ?

Im looking at the Vrs tdi but its right in the swap over bracket.

Also are there any "common faults" to look out for and can higher mileage ones be trusted with provided history.

Car will only get used at weekends really or when the weather is poor and I intend to delete the software for DPF and have it removed.

Help me out please kind folks as this will be my first venture into Skoda/VAG territory.

cheers

PD isn't older tech, VAG tried to get other manufacturers to adopt it but CR was cheaper and hence more widely used and they had to join in (same list price car with cheaper component prices = more profit).

Power delivery is different between the two engines, the PD gave quite a punch when the power came in, the CR is more civilised and quiet.

Cambelts, DPF, EGR, VNT & oil pump drive rounding off are all common failures on early (PD engine) cars.  All previous with the exception of the oil pump can affect CR cars.

DPF gutting, delete and remap is the way to go.

If it was my money I would get a CR engined VRS.

• Like 1

So have u found cr & pd vrs,s at the same price i would of thought the cr would be more money than a pd, personally i would go for the car with the best spec as some early pd vrs,s have poverty spec ie wind up windows in the rear, no jumbo box armrest,17inch wheels,no rear park assist.

PD isn't older tech, VAG tried to get other manufacturers to adopt it but CR was cheaper and hence more widely used and they had to join in (same list price car with cheaper component prices = more profit).

That is debatable really. PD is based on 1930s technology, CR is based on 1960s technology, but neither of them were developed for use in passenger car engines until the late 1990s!

Me too for petrol unless you are touring the country most weekends.

But if you are stuck on diesel and like a quieter ride, engine wise at least, then I would not recommend the pd. Agricultural style engine has been mentioned and I would agree.

I have one and find it a tad noisy both engine wise and road noise. I do believe the cr engines are a good bit smoother.