Ste's Sunday Shine - BMD Nemesis / Definitive Drying Towel Review

samuir1974

Hi All,

So - slowly catching up with write-ups on a couple of new waxes and another few bits and pieces received over the holidays.

Today, I gave the .:R36 a quick wash 'n' wax with two new products under review:-

- BMD Nemesis Show Wax - Limited Run. (£60)

- Definitive Wax - Drying Towel, just launched. (£10.95 single, £17 for 2)

A typical foam, rinse and wash routine, but to elaborate on detailing products used:-

- Foamed with AD foam lance using Meguiar's Hyperwash foam

- Wheels with Definitive Decon 88 and WoWo wheel mitt

- Rinse

- Wash with Dooka wash pad and Definitive Shampoo

- Rinse

- Foamed with diluted AD Top Gloss Curious foam lance mix (rinse/drying aid)

- Rinse

- Dry with Definitive Wax Drying towel

- Door shuts, exhausts and alloys, wipedown with Sonax BSD.

- Tyres with Definitive Tyre Dressing

- Waxed with BMD Nemesis

- Wax applied with Auto-Finesse Handi-puck+80mm black wax pad; buffed with CarPro 500gsm Grey BOA

So up for use first of all, was the DW Concours Drying towel.... feels amazing - very plush at 1200gsm, ultra soft.

Dimensions are approx. 75cm x 45cm. I did take the liberty of pre-washing the towel when received.

Some pics below... after final rinse. Laid the drying towel on half the boot lid..... no pressure, 30 seconds then lifted off.

Your get the idea. Performed really well. No real need to drag or wipe.

By the end of a run round the R36 the towel was heavy and loaded with water.... but not dripping or oozing water.

Overall very impressed and one that i'll use regularly and see if this level of performance drops off...

11110160_10206095832849505_5417360624090

11781639_10206095833049510_4336975428010

10997810_10206095833409519_7305878151444

Next step..... once car was dried - some BMD Nemesis Show Wax applied...  this was a recent launch.

Stevie Black took input from the BMD user group on what they wanted from a wax...colour, scent, gloss, beading, sheeting properties

....then he went to work in the lab and came up with this little number!

Panel temp was quite cool, late evening detail, and this wax applied no problem - nice and thin spreading very well.

Recommended to be applied 1 or two panels at a time with a relatively short cure time expected.

Typical consistency to BMD waxes I'm used to - slightly grainy nature of the product on the applicator but melts onto the paint nicely.

Buffed off with extreme ease and left a lovely deep gloss and very slick feel to the paint.   :sun: Targeted primarily as a Show wax though.

The slickness, coupled with the very obvious jump in gloss levels was really impressive - for minimal effort.

Anyway - the pictures below..... they are a bit grainy - as the garage lights indicate - it was getting dark as I tidied up;

but you get the idea....  thanks for looking :thumbup:

To add to these mini-review's I thought I would start working on a scoring system - which may prove useful.

I will try and improve it as we go along - but this is a start.... the scoring isn't there to prove contentious;

it is simply my opinion on the product, ease of use, results, pricing, etc. Constructive comments welcome :)

Product: Definitive Wax Concours Drying Towel

Price: £10.95 single or £17.00 for twin-pack

Discount Code: dwpro for 5% off

Product: BMD Nemesis Limited Edition Show wax

Price:  £n/a on website

Discount Code: BMD User Group Buy £60 inc delivery

STE's SCORING:-  BMD Nemesis Show Wax

Price Point:-       4 out of 5

Ease of Use:-     5 out of 5

Shine Results:-   4 out of 5

Durability:-          4 out of 5 (2 months max expected)

Overall                4 out of 5 (Show wax category product)

12019906_10206094127886882_3009022590015

11998830_10206094128406895_4797290790724

12002304_10206094128886907_2000254443464

12004689_10206094129246916_2198324080053

• Like 4

Great write up and more ideas of extra products to hoard try out  :angel:

Excellent write up again buddy, top job!

Thanks chaps - I always appreciate the positive feedback.

It's good fun doing a bit of detailing and also reviewing new stuff!

...keeps it interesting. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Great review as always Ste, appreciate it bud!

How would you initially rate the DW drying towel against the paragon yellow?

Thanks Neil - not a problem; you know I enjoy this sort of detailing test! :thumbup:

Oh you git! I knew someone would ask that question..... primarily, as it's the first question I asked myself. :giggle:

I currently use the Big Yello / Paragon weave. Great performer, weird material, but great - especially on glass.

Main issue is the smaller size and needing to wring out the Paragon half way round a big car like mine.

Paragon has been washed every week, twice a week for most of the summer and still performs really well.

So - on the face of it the Definitive towel performs equally as well but didn't need wringing out on the .:R36.

Therefore - the only test is the weekly regime.... wash-dry-use-wash-dry-use..... and see how it holds up...long-term.

Based on price - I think it's a real bargain purchase - especially the twin pack; you wouldn't be disappointed!

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

:D  Sorry buddy, it's always the first question I ask myself. "How does it compare to the best performer?". That's why I did a 50/50 with BSD on the QED thread; I knew the question would be asked.

I must admit, they look awesome, and I need a new drying towel too! I will wait a few more weeks on your feedback, but these may be the answers. I saw another review on FB and they seem highly rated!

Thanks for the info buddy! You're a good 'un!

• Like 1

class act as always Ste and the review makes for great reading.

Towel does look nice but i have far too many at the moment, its either big yellow or AF one that i turn to.

Notice you use Decon 88 a lot, what does it smell like? I love my Korrosol but the Decon88 is a great price for 5L.

• Like 1

Nice write-up :thumbup:

On your scoring system (another good idea) how have you come out at 4 out of 5 on pricing for the wax? At £60 quite a lot of people would judge that to be expensive? Just curious.

• Like 1

Nice write-up :thumbup:

On your scoring system (another good idea) how have you come out at 4 out of 5 on pricing for the wax? At £60 quite a lot of people would judge that to be expensive? Just curious.

Thanks for the comments. :thumbup:

On price - it's a very good point, as I almost scored this at 3 out of 5 when I initially did the draft.

BUT I marked it up in this instance, as it was offered cheaply by BMD as a Group Buy.

BMD waxes start around £90 upwards for the 200ml...which is expensive indeed.

So when Stevie Black offered this Show wax as a Group Buy at £60 inc delivery...

I felt this was worthy of scoring up slightly in the show wax class.

A recognised show wax such as Definitive Show Edition is £90 plus P&P, for example.

I hope this makes sense. The scoring system may need a tweak or confirmation comment here and there;

but for now it's a starting point to try and help people decide on the various aspects under consideration.

• Like 2

That's useful Ste thanks. Maybe a scores based in certain categories? Understand that a 'show wax' would likely be more costly.

Ok Wardy - that's a fair point.

So on waxes - we can flag a category during review.

ie "Show Wax", "Winter Wax", etc etc?

class act as always Ste and the review makes for great reading.

Towel does look nice but i have far too many at the moment, its either big yellow or AF one that i turn to.

Notice you use Decon 88 a lot, what does it smell like? I love my Korrosol but the Decon88 is a great price for 5L.

Thanks for the feedback Ben.  :)

I know Karl vRS uses the AF towel and rates it highly; as do a few others.

Decon88 i find to be quite neutral on smell and that is one main reason i use it.

As you point out - the 5L price is tempting, but i'm using up the 3 for 2 batch i ordered  :thumbup:

I used Decon88 on the Golf GTI i did at the weekend for a mate; and it performed very well.

I didn't get chance to take any pictures last night; but I was out with Alan

and the weather here was pretty horrendous most of the night.

But gave good opportunity to observe the water behaviour with BMD Nemesis - the beading was superb - very impressive. :thumbup:

I use the AF towel & it's extremely good. Holds water like no other I've tried.

I'm hoping to get an order in with Definitive some time soon though.

I highly rate the shampoo as I had a test bottle from Stephen...more money to spend

Thanks for the update on the AF drying towel - Aqua Deluxe they call it? Good reviews on this for sure.

Let me know if you are putting in a DW order; I might order something - and share the postage cost with you.

Don't forget the current discount code they have running.... 5% off with "dwpro" :thumbup:

• Like 1

That's the one yeah! I dried a friends car with it at the weekend, it then rained and I used the towel again and still managed to dry the whole car with out any problems!

I will do, hopefully be near end of the month sometime. I quite stocked at the moment but urging to try new products as always!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just a quick update - primarily on the BMD Nemesis. The car has looked superb wearing this over the last week or so.

So yesterday - the weekly wash was a breeze..... a quick foam and rinse had the car looking amazing.

Still, that said, I did a full 2BM wash and then applied a 2nd coat of Nemesis - which was an absolute joy to apply and gave amazing gloss levels.

Also - as a start of winter preparations..... glass outside was cleaned and given a fresh coat of Gtechniq G5, which I have used for 2 years now.

The alloys were also fully cleaned with AF Revolutions, Definitive Decon88, and sealed with Angelwax Bilberry wheel wax for a test.

Pics below....

12046803_10206146089185882_1672865102319

12042802_10206146090265909_7022923243345

12009544_10206146090105905_7050247944629

12033129_10206146089705895_1551175189067

12049588_10206146089545891_7029044323075

12002956_10206150416654066_3364680336939

12006248_10206150842784719_2764485421724

• Like 1

Looks really nice that Ste. Another great wax from BMD by the looks of it!!!

Keep us posted on the wheel wax buddy. Once I've used up my ADS Repel Coat I will need some more wheel protection.

• Like 1

Looks really nice that Ste. Another great wax from BMD by the looks of it!!!

Keep us posted on the wheel wax buddy. Once I've used up my ADS Repel Coat I will need some more wheel protection.

Thanks for the comment Neil. :thumbup:

So far I've always used FK1000P on the wheels and top up with Sonax BSD every wash;

but I got the Angelwax Bilberry in a WaxPack a few months back - thought I'd try it out. :yes:

Very easy on and off; seems good so far - so we shall see how it holds up....

• Like 1

nice work mate!

What did you think to the AF??

Thanks for the comment Ben. :thumbup:

AF Revolutions cleans very well - going by what was left in the bottom of the wheel-wash bucket!!! :giggle:

Ideally - I was hoping for a better foam/suds action I think.

I'll play a bit more with the dilution though - could easily be my bad on the initial mix I tested.