How many advanced drivers?

As Wardy says I prefer the control and finer balance you can achieve with a manual, but I got my recent Gold in a DSG Superb. I tended to use the paddles a fair bit to set the gear early on for tighter bends and roundabouts - again, to give finer control and balance the vehicle better - but other than that it was left in D. The examiner doesn't care either way provided you're using the vehicle smoothly, safely and systematically; especially if you weave it into your commentary.

For example 'In the distance I can see the road goes uphill and bends to the left, and the solitary nearside lamp-post tells me there may well be a junction to the offside, but in the middle distance I see a roundabout with four exists. So mirrors, nothing behind or adjacent. Position is good and speed is now appropriate, I'm selecting 2nd/3rd gear manually to balance the vehicle through the hazard, scanning deep and taking the straightest line across the roundabout for stability'. Etc etc.

It's not what you've got, it's how you use it that counts. ;):D

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Sorry, what's IMI? All it means to me is the International Management Institute, and I'm pretty sure that's not relevant here ;)

Is this an IAM thing?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I took the IAM test in 1981,with a rather large serving police examiner squashed into my then MG Midget.

Certainly well worth doing - makes a driver more watchfull,and happy to say no blameworthy accidents since then .

Couldn't really justify to keep paying the membership fee though.Any advanced badges on cars are a very rare sight these days........

11 hours ago, Blackcountryman said:

Any advanced badges on cars are a very rare sight these days

I think you mean "Any motoring club badges..." Seriously, it's rare at best to see any car with a place to put the old chrome enamel badges.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KenONeill said:

I think you mean "Any motoring club badges..." Seriously, it's rare at best to see any car with a place to put the old chrome enamel badges.

Er .....not on my Citigo,just a bit of thought required. Two long bolts and two small brackets pull the badge up to the grill.........:cool: .Well clear of the radiator cooling area,and not too easy to thieve.......

PICT1215.JPG

Edited by Blackcountryman

17 hours ago, Blackcountryman said:

Two long bolts and two small brackets pull the badge up to the grill

That requires a grille moulding with blank areas. Kudos for making it work on the CitiGo, but it wouldn't work on, for example, an Octavia 1.

• 1 month later...

I took a couple of RoSPA Advanced courses and audited a Class 1 course on two wheels back in the early '90s.  I've always felt I have benefited hugely from the learning both as a rider and a driver.  Having returned to full-time motoring a little while back after a lengthy illness I began to wonder at the differences between "current" on-the-road driving and the "proper" way to go about it, so I eventually joined a local RoSPA Advanced group earlier this year for the car.

I've been thoroughly enjoying my driving training and am  getting to the point where I'm driving naturally again after a few months of head-scrambling trying to think and drive at the same time (if you've been through any training you know what I mean!).  O intend to continue driving with the group as long as they'll put up with me as one can never stop learning.

What I have found are marked differences between the current "best practice" and the way I was trained on two wheels in the '90s on two wheels, for example I was originally taught about the concept of Three Degrres of Freedom on approaching a potential hazard situation; you can brake, accelerate or maneouver or any combination thereof, meaning that being in the right gear at the right time was a significant part of the preparation.  I'm now taught when approaching a hazard where I may have to slow or change course that I must brake my way up the the decision point and _then_ select my gear to address the hazard.  I've heard various arguments about why this has changed but it still feels as though I'm limiting my options. 

Any thoughts out there?

1 hour ago, StickyMicky said:

I took a couple of RoSPA Advanced courses and audited a Class 1 course on two wheels back in the early '90s.  I've always felt I have benefited hugely from the learning both as a rider and a driver.  Having returned to full-time motoring a little while back after a lengthy illness I began to wonder at the differences between "current" on-the-road driving and the "proper" way to go about it, so I eventually joined a local RoSPA Advanced group earlier this year for the car.

I've been thoroughly enjoying my driving training and am  getting to the point where I'm driving naturally again after a few months of head-scrambling trying to think and drive at the same time (if you've been through any training you know what I mean!).  O intend to continue driving with the group as long as they'll put up with me as one can never stop learning.

What I have found are marked differences between the current "best practice" and the way I was trained on two wheels in the '90s on two wheels, for example I was originally taught about the concept of Three Degrres of Freedom on approaching a potential hazard situation; you can brake, accelerate or maneouver or any combination thereof, meaning that being in the right gear at the right time was a significant part of the preparation.  I'm now taught when approaching a hazard where I may have to slow or change course that I must brake my way up the the decision point and _then_ select my gear to address the hazard.  I've heard various arguments about why this has changed but it still feels as though I'm limiting my options. 

Any thoughts out there?

Reducing speed and energy is way more important than selecting the correct gear, which you should be in anyway regardless of hazard or no hazard. PLus with a car a lot of autos out there now so the new skill is for that to have the instinct.

I'm just thinking logically though as although I have IAM exam on twowheels I am no expert.

Edited by TonyTonic

On 16/05/2019 at 11:30, StickyMicky said:

I eventually joined a local RoSPA Advanced group earlier this year for the car.

Which group did you join out of interest?

On 01/04/2016 at 17:19, Rainmaker said:

Merseyside mate (meeting at the Miller & Carter, Aughton). 

Are you still part of the group?

26 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Which group did you join out of interest

Merseyside, meeting at Miller & Carter, Aughton.  Good group, always patient and helpful.  I've learned a lot already.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Passed  my IAM test in 1959...I think my number was 11.000 ish!

Have never paid my subs so never registered and never bought a badge!

It's kept me safe as these days I am aware of my deteriorating faculties and make due allowances.

Having raced and rallied a long time ago helps me be aware of parts of 'driving' that many have never known.

I certainly have no problem with extra tests of any kind...but I think they should start a few months after the initial test....it seems that that is as long as a young persons memory lasts these days?!!!

Stay safe😉😀

• Like 1