DSG matching - Petrol & Diesel experiences

susi

Thought this could be a useful discussion for those looking to make engine/transmission choices. Some drivers don't get the chance to drive both petrol and diesel versions for extended periods.

Own experience is a 1,8tsi DSG which I love. But recently I had a Golf 2,0tdi DSG as a hire car. In comparison it felt a bit sluggish and didn't seem as responsive as the Octavia petrol. It often felt as though it was in the wrong gear for what I wanted it to do.

Maybe the DSG is a better match for Petrol.

The diesel vehicles with DSG gearboxes I have driven have all been:

Clunky, especially when in town when they hunt between 1st and second gear-classic scenario,you accelerate to pull away from a junction and then back off, then put your foot down again.

Particularly irritating when manoeuvring on slopes, especially in reverse

If they don't have paddles on the wheel, the so called 'manual' mode has the lever moving in a counter-intuitive direction-it should be forward to change down the box

Pulling away smartly was always a lottery in terms of when the drive would engage, sometimes straight away, sometimes what seemed like an age to engage

In short clunky, counter-intuitive, slow reacting and....

The best dSG type gearbox I have driven was in an Audi R8 V10, but that's a bit beyond my normal price range.

Edited by Bristolf2b

I have driven many automatic cars, both petrol and diesel and my current 2.0 TDi Octavia/DSG is the best package by a long way, very smooth, responsive and matches the engine characteristics very well. I do not like manual diesels due to the limited rev range and the fat lump of torque very low down that means first and second gears run out too quickly and only make sense from third gear upward. The DSG box avoids this problem.

• Like 2

The 170CR revs to 5000 rpm, and doesn't feel strained at 4500. Since most people don't rev their petrol engines above 3500-4000rpm in everyday use, I would not say that a modern diesel is any more 'limited' in it's rev range in normal use.

The TSi engines have quite similar characteristics in my experience, certainly the 1.2 TSi in my partner's Polo has most of it's torque low down and runs out of puff at about 5000rpm

I do not like DSG for a number of reasons, and would rather have a modern 'conventional' auto 'box if I had to have a non-manual car

Edited by Bristolf2b

As mentioned in the other thread, the association of the DSG7 with the 1.8 TSI is a great success.

This is my second automatic car, and by far the best one (the previous one was a diesel with conventional torque converter gearbox).

I really enjoy the drive, playing with driving modes, between normal and sport.

The performances are very good, overtaking in an eyeblink.

I did not regret that choice any time during the last 32000km, whatever the conditions, including driving in the Alps and Pyrenees with or without rain or snow.

I'd say the DSG transcends this very good engine.

Edited by JPH0091
  • Like 2

Mapped TDi 184 = definitely DSG!

Torque is too much for a manual.

DSG isn't perfect, but suits a mapped car better than stock. More power left higher up the revs and more torque lower down means that in drive and sport a 184 is a better match with DSG.

Drove a 2.0tfsi DSG for a week and specc'd my TDI DSG without even trying it (had only been released 1 week earlier). Dissapointed..... TDI + Sport mode + manual = good choice, the DSG blunts everything and is not best suited to a diesel engine. Works very well with a petrol,far superior to a conventional auto slushmatic.

I adore the combination of 184 diesel horses and DSG.

Diesel cars have always been far better at riding a wave of torque, rather than over revving. The gearbox certainly does a better job of picking gears than me (except in sport, which is a bit extreme most of the time).

The diesel DSG definitely makes for a calmer drive, compared to the revvy, agressive TSI DSG.

• Like 1