First major repair....

Agerbundsen

The first major repair/replacement at 150,000 km service: new front brake discs and pads and an exhaust temperature sensor. Brakes were still the original ones, never replaced before. There is no need to do anything to the rears.

The first major repair/replacement at 150,000 km service: new front brake discs and pads and an exhaust temperature sensor. Brakes were still the original ones, never replaced before. There is no need to do anything to the rears.

Thats very good going on the brakes. I've been very impressed with my cars reliability. My rear brakes are just getting done now at 50k.. but im about to replace the second setup ive had on the front! 

Brakes isn't really a "repair" - they're serviceable items.

but "an exhaust temperature sensor" surely is?! 'Major replacement' is stated by the OP and if nothing else has needed doing at all, comparatively, the front brakes could be seen as major. ;)

If you are a competent DIY’er yearly remove brake pads clean up & refit with copper grease where necessary.

I have just removed my discs & pads, cleaned & refitted. Clean up disc as well, remove slider pins & lub that too. All still looks like new (well almost)

Now at 11,000 miles.

Edited by Carlo diesel
  • Like 1

Plumber. Ouch, As you can see mine at 11,000 miles are almost untouched.

I'm not heavy on my brakes.

My van has just turned 32,000 miles 4 years old & just fitted new discs & pads to fronts.

It really does pay to remove them every year, clean, lub & refit. Stops any sticking pads & rust build up.

Preventative maintenance.

• Like 1

My experiece is that OE lubricants used on the guide pins dries out. Even the Permatex AntiSeize I use seems to dry out. Annually dismantling, cleaning and lubricating is a good advise for troublefree brakes.

I have used this for a few years:

Permatex-CeramicExtremeBrakePartsLubrica

Had that problem with the last Yeti, the rear callipers kept jamming up. The white paste used at the factory very quickly turned to treacle, plus the rubber sleeves on the guide pins swelled exacerbating the issue. Fitted new pins but by the time I sold the car the callipers had started sticking again.

TP

• Like 1

Had that problem with the last Yeti, the rear callipers kept jamming up. The white paste used at the factory very quickly turned to treacle, plus the rubber sleeves on the guide pins swelled exacerbating the issue. Fitted new pins but by the time I sold the car the callipers had started sticking again.

TP

I have not experienced the rubber sleeve swelling in contact with the Permatex grease.