Vrs large amounts of coolant loss

DannHall

Good afternoon looking for some opinions / previous experience knowledge. So changed my coolant reservoir and lid as the old one was expelling gas from the lid and losing coolant through this (at least I thought).

After I changed it I'm losing much more I've been told that there on the sides of the tank it releases fluid when it is over pressuring, I have found that there is lots coming from there and more when I thrash it or at least I think so.

A mechanic has told me they would change the thermostat first before other things.

Please help me locate where the problem is!

Hi. As per lots of similar threads to do with this.

Have you checked for excessive amounts of air from header tank when engine is cold after you driven hard.

Ie does its hiss at lots once cap is undone! If so like others will say. Its either case of headlift or hg failing.

Ive recently replaced my tank and cap due to crack in orignal tank. But the coolant is dropping after a week or so of mixed driving.

Ive had cambelt and waterpump changed which was looking faulty after removal t gets upto temp no probs so stat isnt faulty.so next thing is to try stronger head bolts and see what happens

Sepulchrave, if it's my head gasket what do I need to do? Change the thermostat and upgrade to better head bolts?

The thermostat doesn't even enter the equation, I assume that the car doesn't overheat and that it warms up normally.

Yes, you need to replace the head gasket and the head bolts.

Is this 100% right? How do I check to make sure it is the head gasket. They are expensive jobs. Don't have money to throw around!

Easy, open your coolant tank in the morning before starting the car and if there's any pressure released at all then it's a blown HG beyond any shadow of doubt.

Not overheating at all I had it changed in the past few months too, only time my temp gauge plays up is when the coolant isn't level.

OK.

Does it run especially unevenly/roughly at cold start for a few seconds, lately?

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update, unfortunately it was the head gasket a a sniff test came back positive for engine gases!

Was going to spend more on getting uprated parts when I have it skimmed etc.

The garage said there would be no benefit for me doing this as it would never go again while I have it. Funding the bill in a couple of weeks!!