Service coming up.. What should I do please.

I have a superb estate. Petrol

I bought it from a dealer second hand.

I pre paid for two services

One was done Dec 2013 @ 21000 MPs.

Next was done Dec 2014 @ 31000 MPs

The dealer wants to service @41000 or Dec2015 which ever comes first.

I've been cold called by two other dealers wanting to service it.

Should I just accept what the current dealer is going to do (I don't know what that is) Or should I be asking for more or less to be done. And should I be shopping around for the best price.

At what point do they replace the cam belt ( I had one go on my last car a m which wrote it off)

Thanks

1. Decide what you want done at the service.

2. Make some phone calls, including independents

3. Check out dealer reviews

Remember that you are in control of the process.

Good luck

What mileage are you on now and how old is the car?

The car is set to fixed service intervals (10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is reached first).

A fixed (minor) service consists of fresh oil and a new oil filter. Nothing else other than some visual checks (bulbs, wipers etc.) and a top up of your screen wash.

The only other service parts that you can have done on a petrol is the air filter, pollen filter, spark plugs and brake fluid.

You need to check the service book in the glovebox, this will tell you at what age / mileage the air filter, pollen filter and spark plugs should be changed. It isn't likely to be before 3 years old or 60,000 miles.

The brake fluid is at 3 years old from new and then every two years thereafter.

Don't pay for the more expensive major service unless the garage insists they are replacing all components listed. There is a section of small print that means not all parts are changed, yet they'll still charge you!

See here...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed

I'm pretty sure the petrol has a timing chain and not a cambelt so no maintenance needed? Which engine is it?

If it does have a cambelt then the interval varies by engine.

Is 4x4 or does it have an automatic gearbox (DSG)? These have additional service requirements.

• Like 1

i always try to "baseline" a used car, have a big service with cambelt (if applicable, oil and all filters, gearbox oil change, brake fluids, pads, etc, - it hurts but just the once.....and shop around, my 7 month old 18,000 mile 1.6td diesel superb will get better than Skoda servicing, A service 15,000 B service 30,000 and cambelt (Gates kit) at 80,000 with water pump