New to turbo

Mcinvrs

So my octavia vrs is the first turbo car ive owned. I havent got a boost gauge installed (yet) how do i know if its boosting properly.

Feels like it has plenty of power. Not sure if i can hear the turbo spoolin up over the noise of the cold air intake.

Any tips/ advice?

if it doesnt feel sluggish, and the power delivery is smooth then my guess everything is fine.  Are you running a standard map? if you are its best to run the standard airbox as cone filters can produce less power and torque than standard box.

If you really want to know the health of your car (which is a good idea before tuning) take it to a decent tuner and get it rolling roaded, they should check for error codes as well. R-tech or Badger 5 are supposed to be the best for 1.8t jabba sport as well, depends where your located.

Edited by alimac81

Its not remapped as far as i know. Im going to get one done in the new year. It feels smooth. Guess i'll find out when i fit the gauge. Is there anywhere on the inlet manifold to attach the hose? Or is it a case of putting it on the fpr?

Cheers for the reply

In the meantime before your map you could try the torque pro app with a bluetooth obd, or find someone on here near to you with vcds who can read any codes and do a bit of logging as you take a drive. But as said if it feels fine it probably is.

I am not new to turbo's but new to the octy turbo. Mine seems strange as it pulls very hard from 2000rpm then sort of levels out as boost normally would then at around 4000rpm has a second wind and another kick to it. Thinking is this normal, but been out in a friends seat loen fr with the same engine and it does the same, so thinking this is the norm, unless anyone knows different

It's probably the characteristics of the ko3s turbo you're noticing, it pulls best from 3-5 and then it does indeed level out a bit as it runs out of puff slightly as it's not particularly big. You're right other cars do seem to pull again, my Saab for example is slightly mental at the top end. You can get a remap which increases boost generally but the characteristic will remain, it's just a matter of using the torque where it is and driving to the car.

All this is assuming the car is in good health, there are a few things that can effect boost at top end like the wastegate actuator which can get weak. But don't panic about that yet.