Limp mode.

AndyC

From what I understand the problematic ones didn't have SCR.

SCR retrofitting was considered too expensive so likely to be the subject of a buyback programme.

The EGR valve's location was seen to be acceptable due to it getting out of the warranty period before failing says it all and is the reason the warranty won't be extended beyond 3 years.

How cynical!

Absolutely and why I wouldn't be happy with having the update without knowing the full facts.

Fortunately I don't need it, more by luck than judgement as I was considering buying secondhand at one point.

The inaccessibility problem is far from new......  I remember how,  in order to remove the brake master cylinder on a Morris Minor,  it was necessary to dismantle the torsion bar suspension (when going by the book*)!  This was all because the master cylinder was installed inside the U section chassis member during production,  and then the torsion bar was put on over the heads of the bolts,  so stopping the mounting bolts being pulled out unless the torsion bar was removed.  It was presumably easier/quicker and therefore cheaper to put the bolts in from that side.  Had they been pushed in the other way there wouldn't have been a problem.   ( * The way round it was to take off the nuts,  withdraw the bolts towards the torsion bar as far as they'd go,  then saw the heads off the bolts &  pull them out the other side.  Two new bolts slid in from the other direction and Bob's your uncle.  But it all could have been avoided if the manufacturer had been thinking about the customer rather than the bottom line on production pricing.)

The inaccessibility problem is far from new......  I remember how,  in order to remove the brake master cylinder on a Morris Minor,  it was necessary to dismantle the torsion bar suspension (when going by the book*)!  This was all because the master cylinder was installed inside the U section chassis member during production,  and then the torsion bar was put on over the heads of the bolts,  so stopping the mounting bolts being pulled out unless the torsion bar was removed.  It was presumably easier/quicker and therefore cheaper to put the bolts in from that side.  Had they been pushed in the other way there wouldn't have been a problem.   ( * The way round it was to take off the nuts,  withdraw the bolts towards the torsion bar as far as they'd go,  then saw the heads off the bolts &  pull them out the other side.  Two new bolts slid in from the other direction and Bob's your uncle.  But it all could have been avoided if the manufacturer had been thinking about the customer rather than the bottom line on production pricing.)

As the song goes - .....ah I remember it well.

Remember also, all those brass screws that held the floorboard inspection panel?.

At least you could straddle the engine with your feet on the chassis rails, there was sooo much room.

Oops OT

What is limp mode and does the car do any speed restrictions and by home much 

This is when the engine management system detects a fault an drops into a 'safe' mode. It basically dramaticly reduces engine power. The car struggled to reach 50 mph and had virtually no acceleration. Felt like it had about 20 bhp instead of usual 170.

Andy

Ok, ...in this case   we can clean the EGR valve without removing the complete system itself....There are some very tough cleaners like LiquiMoly Throttle valve cleaner or using the 

Wurth Diesel System & EGR Valve Cleaner .

Ok, ...in this case   we can clean the EGR valve without removing the complete system itself....There are some very tough cleaners like LiquiMoly Throttle valve cleaner or using the 

So dealers won't have a problem from now on and will be able to do it cheaply, I guess. (?)

What is limp mode and does the car do any speed restrictions and by home much 

So Sibu goes from not even understanding what limp mode is to being an expert (on cut and paste) in his next post :think:

Edited by Urrell
  • Like 3

There's not much point cleaning the pipework if it's the servo motor that's failed, as in the OP's case and - based on what his garage told him - the majority of cases they deal with.  Sounds a bit like polishing the ship's bell as the Titanic goes down...

Edited by ejstubbs

So Sibu goes from not even understanding what limp mode is to being an expert (on cut and paste) in his next post :think:

And being an electronics engineer you'd think he would have known, even if it wasn't his field!

Graham will be along soon to say "Don't feed the troll!" :)

• Like 4

Play nicely please people.

Believe it or not, us Mods don't wish to intervene unless absolutely necessary but have to act on reports.

Just keep it to the topic and avoid any insults, and I can stay out of it

Thanks for your understanding :)

Damo 

There's not much point cleaning the pipework if it's the servo motor that's failed, as in the OP's case and - based on what his garage told him - the majority of cases they deal with.  Sounds a bit like polishing the ship's bell as the Titanic goes down...

Can we get the servo motor separately as a spare part rather than changing the whole damn EGR unit with cooler....

I'd have thought that the cooler section of the EGR valve assembly would ALL foul up at approximately the same time/mileage.

It's not a 'reliability' issue is it?.

The only variable I can think of is the fuel brand.

A failed servo would probably be because of a blocked/sticking valve so replacing that with the tear-down needed to even get to it would be adding even more expense later

I'd really be interested to know of any model of diesel car that has an EGR valve that is serviceable ie accessible.

The modern E-W packaging seems to preclude it but not sure of N-S installations.

Maybe the only ones accessible are tilt cab trucks etc.

EGR on the Td4 Freelander was easy to get at and remove. However most people just disconnected the vacuum operating pipe and blanked it off.

I've seriously contemplated doing that but I'm not sure if that doesn't throw up other complications.