Direct Access and Mod1/Mod2

Chunk11

Having recently passed my theory test I am looking at doing a direct access course to get my full license the only thing is i don't fully understand how direct access works.

I have seen that you can have different length courses e.g 5 day, 7 day ..etc. I also understand that you don't have to do them all in one go and that you can split them up into whatever suits you best.

What have you guys found works best? I was looking at doing a 6 day course but not sure if it's worth booking a full week off work to get it done?

Also do most people do mod1 and mod2 on the same day or would you have a couple of days/weeks in between?

• Like 1

I'm in process of doing my bike test at moment altho its turning into a 3 month job which is a little longer than i wanted but between not be able to get time off work and getting a test slot,

I did my cbt last year and had a year on a 125, also did my theory a month after doing my cbt,

I did a couple of conversion days on a 650 and did my mod 1 end of last month and my mod 2 is booked for middle of next month,

• Like 1

I'm a current DVSA approved instructor and teach CBT, DAS and advanced.

My advice would be to do 3 full days training over a long weekend for both mod 1 and 2. Training bodies are allowed to book the Multi purpose test centres for mod 1 practice for candidates but obviously this would generally only happen at weekend. A Friday / Saturday / Sunday course or Saturday / Sunday / Monday would allow you to become familiar with the bike and re-practice the basics on day one, cover country roads, dualers and roundabouts day 2 and independent ride and mock tests on day 3 as well as learning test routes throughout and if Saturday / Sunday / Monday, getting mod 1 in during the day on the Monday if availability allows.

Aim to have mod 1 and 2 done in the same week - better for everybody and means that if your mod 1 was excellently done, examiner will remember your face.

Don't put too much emphasis on mechanical and pillion questions for mod 2 - they present a very small over all weighting on the result. Just know the basics.

I know it sounds obvious but remember -

Listen to the examiner on your tests. He / she might explain things slightly differently and they're in charge of your destiny! They'll always ask if you've questions.

Keep yourself safe. If you do something slightly out of the norm on mod 2, so long as you can explain why and justify it, you'll often be fine.

Do the bare minimum of shoulder checks / lifesavers but do them perfectly. You're moving forward, you don't want him seeing you look behind many times for no real reason. Make them full 'chin to shoulder' checks and make them well timed.

If you'd like any more info, just PM me.

Regards, David

• Like 2

I've just taken my Mod 1( and passed!)

My Mod 2 is booked for early next month. From start to finish it will have been around 3 months having around 5x 2hr lessons and a whole day riding test routes and taking my Mod 1.

I tend to agree with turboman8860 that compacting your training, tests etc is beneficial. It usually takes me 10 mins or so every time to build the confidence as I am unable to ride in between lessons.

My biggest fear is taking my Mod 2. The nearest DSA centre is around 50 mile or so away and I'm not familiar with the local roads but intend to visit at least twice to familiarize myself. Saying that, I should be able to ride correctly and legally obeying road traffic signs wether familiar with it or not!

I wore a patterned lid for my test. It exaggerates the shoulder checks more

than a plain one would. Not that the examiner behind me in his Citroen Picasso thing

was anywhere to be seen for most of the test. he couldn't keep up at all.

As a result- Clean sheet pass :D

• Like 1

I'm a current DVSA approved instructor and teach CBT, DAS and advanced.

My advice would be to do 3 full days training over a long weekend for both mod 1 and 2. Training bodies are allowed to book the Multi purpose test centres for mod 1 practice for candidates but obviously this would generally only happen at weekend. A Friday / Saturday / Sunday course or Saturday / Sunday / Monday would allow you to become familiar with the bike and re-practice the basics on day one, cover country roads, dualers and roundabouts day 2 and independent ride and mock tests on day 3 as well as learning test routes throughout and if Saturday / Sunday / Monday, getting mod 1 in during the day on the Monday if availability allows.

Aim to have mod 1 and 2 done in the same week - better for everybody and means that if your mod 1 was excellently done, examiner will remember your face.

Don't put too much emphasis on mechanical and pillion questions for mod 2 - they present a very small over all weighting on the result. Just know the basics.

I know it sounds obvious but remember -

Listen to the examiner on your tests. He / she might explain things slightly differently and they're in charge of your destiny! They'll always ask if you've questions.

Keep yourself safe. If you do something slightly out of the norm on mod 2, so long as you can explain why and justify it, you'll often be fine.

Do the bare minimum of shoulder checks / lifesavers but do them perfectly. You're moving forward, you don't want him seeing you look behind many times for no real reason. Make them full 'chin to shoulder' checks and make them well timed.

If you'd like any more info, just PM me.

Regards, David

Another very useful biker to have in our midst  :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I wore a patterned lid for my test. It exaggerates the shoulder checks more

than a plain one would. Not that the examiner behind me in his Citroen Picasso thing

was anywhere to be seen for most of the test. he couldn't keep up at all.

As a result- Clean sheet pass :D

LOL is that a 'during the war' thing from way back when, or do examiners tend to use a car for bike test in GB? Mine he was on a bike and I don't think I've seen any other method here. Sounds so much jammier for the candidate lol.

Chunk11 & Volvomeg, I hope to see your 'I've passed' posts in the near future :D 

Anyone heard any word from ColinD on his 2 wheeled aspirations of late? 

Nah my examiner went home early after an old bike crash knee injury was giving him

jip, I was the second to be tested so my L partner got tested the 'proper' way but 

at very short notice the extremely dour manager of the place had to conduct my test

in his private car. Miserable geet he was, didn't want to come out of his office.

Was semi expecting a fail just cos he had the hump going out in the rain.

Another very useful biker to have in our midst :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

LOL is that a 'during the war' thing from way back when, or do examiners tend to use a car for bike test in GB? Mine he was on a bike and I don't think I've seen any other method here. Sounds so much jammier for the candidate lol.

Not as long as youd think.

I was followed by a bike as it was a nice day.. But my mate did his test in the rain and was followed by a Range Rover Vogue.

Repeated 'please pull over in a safe place and wait for me to catch up' through the radio lol.

Back when mod 1 and 2 were introduced it was decided that every single Test Centre should have a liveried DSA bike for tests. However, from personal experience, after having a dodgy Deaville (must be the only one!) a Pan that was taken off the road for safety reasons (a la the Police) and a BMW F800 ST that kept having electrical gremlins, for abound 2 years now the DVSA have gone to the expense of always having a hire car sat in the car park for Mod 2.

Yes, less likelyhood that he 'll see every mistake, but every chance that due to this, you'll be out longer to make up for it and therefore it can be swings and roundabouts.

The one good thing is though that it you have a battenburg DVSA bike behind , it does put you under more pressure as it's a constant reminder in your mirrors that you're 'on test'. If it's a blue Mondeo, it's just another Joe.

• Like 1

Chunk11 & Volvomeg, I hope to see your 'I've passed' posts in the near future :D

Anyone heard any word from ColinD on his 2 wheeled aspirations of late? 

So do i,

Apparently there is two motorcycle testers at wakefield test centre but only one bike and that is one of the testers personal bike,

hence the waiting list,

I am doing a pay as you go

I had a reasonable amount of experience on 2 wheels as a kid, then nearly 10 years driving. Done a 4 day course, I was tempted with 3 day but 4 was comfortable.

Dont expect to do all the mod 1 stuff first, I done 2 days before my mod 1 but 90% was on the road, only done a quick practice of the manoeuvres the day before the test. Then couple more days on the road and the second test. 

Turboman having done the same as you some years ago I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to hear you say the above.  Even when I was taking my PCV training I was arguing with the Instructor(s) as they kept going on and on about mirror checks.  I tried to tell them that why I was looking in my mirror constantly driving an 11 ton bus a child could easily step off the footpath in front of me.  They wouldn't have it though.

I cannot fathom where this constant wanting to know what is behind you comes from.  There is far more danger in front and at the side of you than from behind.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just taken my Mod 1( and passed!)

My Mod 2 is booked for early next month. From start to finish it will have been around 3 months having around 5x 2hr lessons and a whole day riding test routes and taking my Mod 1.

And passed my Mod2 in the pouring rain today :). Examiner was out on his bike having done two tests earlier in the rain as well but still had a good sense of humour

• Like 3

Thanks all.

Had a 07 Fazer 1000 in the garage waiting for three months and had the first ride out today. Hardly any rain and the wind had dried the roads so did a few miles to garage to fill her up.

• Like 1

And passed my Mod2 in the pouring rain today :). Examiner was out on his bike having done two tests earlier in the rain as well but still had a good sense of humour

Legend, well done! 

Thanks all.

Had a 07 Fazer 1000 in the garage waiting for three months and had the first ride out today. Hardly any rain and the wind had dried the roads so did a few miles to garage to fill her up.

That reminds me of the day after passing mine I went up the mountain to my fathers spent the night and on way back the next day (in April) there was a heavy hail storm..... It was freezing, sore and crap! I looked around at car drivers sat all warm in their cages listening to their radios and thought WTF am I doing? Then I decided that this surely is a good way to learn more about the bikes handling etc and kept her lit. 

Since then I have never really been all that put off by weather (bar the 'oh my poor bike factor') and actively seek out the bad stuff when getting used to a new bike. 

• Like 1