Door puddle light removal

I noticed my passenger side door puddle light lens is fitted upside-down down for some reason.

Before I break something, can the lens be pried out gently from the front or does the door card need to come off?

Do you mean the red and white lights at the bottom of the door card itself? If so, there is a little notch at one end which you can get a small screwdriver into and gently lever out. Never known one of those bulbs to go, so the question I am asking is why has it been taken out in the first place???

Yes exactly that - I assumed they were called 'puddle lights' as they would in theory illuminate puddles when swinging a door open but then all my searches returned results for wing mirror related queries, with just the odd reference to 'door puddle lights'...! Thanks for the tip on the notch, I didn't get around to looking at it today (but did order a cheapy trim removal tool set which I've been meaning to do for about 6 years) but sounds like a trivial thing to do.

Perhaps leds were fitted? I initially put my driver side one back in upside down when I did so!!

Not sure either why it is upside down - they're not the last word in bright, so I don't think they're LEDs. I wouldn't have even spotted it to be fair, my sharp eyed brother noticed it last week. The one and only previous owner is a fellow Briskodian so perhaps we'll find out if he stumbles across this thread (I don't think this particular issue warrants bothering him specifically to ask!)

When you say puddle light, what exactly do you mean? "Puddle light" is generally taken to be the downlights mounted in the mirrors. 

They are generally called puddle lights in the Octy Mk 1 forum. That model does not have wing mirror lights so it seemed reasonable to have called the door card lights "puddle lights" as they illuminate the road where you are about to step into a puddle. I guess like a lot if phrases in English, meanings change or are adapted to suit the circumstances and it doesn't matter as long as the meaning is clear.

The advantage of the wing mirror light is that you can see the puddles as you approach the car too!  So they are also puddle lights.

Edited by pikpilot

Not sure either why it is upside down - they're not the last word in bright, so I don't think they're LEDs. I wouldn't have even spotted it to be fair, my sharp eyed brother noticed it last week. The one and only previous owner is a fellow Briskodian so perhaps we'll find out if he stumbles across this thread (I don't think this particular issue warrants bothering him specifically to ask!)

Hi Tim,

Absolutely no idea mate.

I don't think I ever had anything done to the doors during the 5 years of ownership? (maybe check all my receipts to see if there's anything noted on them??)  

I certainly didn't touch it myself either.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance!

Cheers,

James

Hi James, thanks for turning up :)

It's an odd one isn't it? Never mind, I finally got around to looking at it on Saturday - definitely no notch so there may perhaps be differences between the various years, but as per BATVANVRS' advice I was able to gently pry it out with a small flat screwdriver.

Job done, nice simple fix.

So far, perfect :)

The only niggle I hadn't resolved was the near side front tyre - it was losing around 10 psi each week, but I took it to a tyre place and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Since the refurb in anthracite (which I still gaze at each day with glee!) the issue has gone away, so the most likely suspect would be a faulty valve I would think as they were all replaced with new when the tyres were put back on.

Brilliant car though. Are you still enjoying the XC60?

• Like 1

Great stuff, good to hear.

I think we agreed it could be a faulty valve issue at the time, so pleased it's sorted now anyway.

The XC60 is absolutely awesome.  The sound system is unreal, it's the best I have ever heard in a car (albeit I haven't heard the B&O system in the Audi, or the Mark Levinson system in Lexus, etc.).

• Like 1