mpg?

anst11

Commercial vehicles are limited to the NSL which is 60 mph anyway unless on Motorways.

As to 60mph being more economic than 65 or 70 mph, 

that is generally true, but then there are vehicles with engines and gearing that actually use more fuel at 60 mph because that is not the sweet spot for the RPM & gears.

Take as an example 1.4 TSI twincharger as an example that runs through the air quite well at 70 mph and likes 2,200-2,400 rpm and Turbo with no supercharger and in 7th gear.

Then my S60 Volvo Automatic returns a better MPG at 70mph and a bit rather than at 60 mph.

GoneOffSki is spot on. For the past year I've been renting cars only so driven about 32 different cars, each engine had its own sweet spot for best Mpg, I do find 60mph is usually pretty close but a couple have returned better figures at 72mph

• 6 months later...

I brought my 1.4tdi monte on wednesday and had half a tank on wednesday and its gone already and i do 36 miles a day. Its not much different than my old mk5 golf gti even tho it says im getting 62mpg on the way to & from work but in the golf i was getting 34mpg and half a tank has lasted the same amount of days. Thought the swap to diesel would be better. Obviosly not :( 

Welcome.

The Golf did not have the same tank capacity as the Fabia did it?

Do you know how many litres were in when it was showing half a tank. As in did you put them in.

You might find the first half used after brimming lasts longer than the 2nd half, if half on the gauge not being half of 45 litres or so.

Just checked it had a 55l tank. And no i picked it up from the dealership with half a tank already in. So not sure on how many litres was already in there and i couldnt say what fuel was used. I only ever use shell or bp fuel so i will carry out a test with some ultimate/vpower to see what i get

It will be interesting to hear your experiences because there is often debate over 95, or 97/99 Ron Super unleaded, & Premium Diesel over regular diesel 

with bigger diesels engines, 

but i have never read anyone comparing Regular Diesel from the Major Brands or Supermarket Filling Stations compared to Premium Diesel with a higher cetane 

in a 1.4TDI 3 cylinder. ie Is it worth the extra 10-15 pence more a litre.

Well from what my old man has said over the years owning a diesel vag that the vpower & ultimate helps the engine by a massive amount ie runs smoother with smoother feeling gear changes. Provides more mpg. He said you can always tell the difference between each grade of fuel you use. And to be honest he is right, when i picked the car up on wednesday it must of had supermarket fuel due to the lack of mpg i had out of half a tank. I filled the car up saturday morning with 38.6 litres of shell vpower. I am gaining more mpg and the guage hasnt moved and i have done 75 miles. I will keep you updated during the week