312mm brake fitting to 4x4 estate

Have just fitted my 312mm brakes & they certainly fill the wheels better ! :thumbup:

As i've reused my calipers & new pads I didn't have to do anything other than:

take wheel off,

- this was a real pain - first broke my 3/8 adaptor, then broke my 17mm 3/8 socket. Both were Halfords Professional so went to Halfords & got replacements. Also bought 1/2 17mm deep reach & short sockets so got back home & using a 5ft bar on the 17mm 1/2 deep reach socket managed to undo the wheel nuts. Did all 16 at the same time just to make sure.

Front 8 nuts were all +250Ib's - bloody air gunners. :thumbdwn:

remove the metal caliper clip (large flatblade screwdriver)

undo the 2 x 7mm caliper allen bolts,

stand the caliper on an axle stand (to not stress the hose),

remove the 2 x 18mm caliper mount bolts,

undo the disc grub screw (large crosshead)

remove disc

fit larger 312mm disc, & re-install the grub screw

fit larger caliper mount - lock-tight the 2 x 18mm bolts

refit the caliper - lock-tight the 2 x 7mm allen bolts

reinstall the metal caliper clip

put wheel back on & torque to 120nm.

Then remember to take pictures, then

repeat on the other side then test drive - gently.

Ist side took 35m.

2nd side 20m.

whole job took 5hrs due to not being able to undo the wheel nuts !!! :gnasher:

Pete

here is the pics

7137.attach

7138.attach

7139.attach

7140.attach

7141.attach

So it's dead easy on an Octy? All I need is the caliper carrier and the disks? No need to bleed the system either :cool:

Where do I buy the carriers?

That's assuming you have 288mm discs as standard which the 1.8T's and 130PD's have. Lower spec models will have 280mm discs which are easily recognised by the mark 'FS III' stamped on the caliper. If you have the 280mm discs then it's an even bigger job than on the Furby vRS as new hubs are required.

If you can't find the carriers used I think they can be picked up new for around

• 1 year later...

Just been told I need new front discs and pads to get my 4x4 through it's MOT and I fancy upgrading to the 312mm's - but can I find any 2nd-hand caliper carriers?? Anyone know anywhere that has any? (lol - too many "any"s) And what sort of price I should be paying? There are some on ebay from Spain at £110 including delivery - but compared to Diving Pete's £56 it seems a bit steep...

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

I'm about to do the same modifications. So you needed the 312mm RS discs, caliper carriers and those hexagonal bolts? I have got the discs already...and I'm wondering where can I get SH carries from? Thank you !:thumbup:

Please don't berate me for a stupid question, but are the pads for a TT the same as the pads on my 4x4? I've bought auroan's carriers and nearly committed to buying a Mintex "Brake Box" for the Audi TT, before I stopped and thought "I know the discs will fit, but are the pads the same??"

If not, can anyone recommend a reasonable combination of discs and pads (hoping not to spend more than about a ton)?